Oscar Talk: What is the "Best" when it comes to film? PLUS BEST MOVIE POLL!

What movie should win Best Picture at the 2020 Academy Awards?

• Ford v. Ferrari

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Irishman

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Jojo Rabbit

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Joker

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Little Women

• Marriage Story

• Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

• Parasite

• If you want a happy ending, it depends on where you stop the story.

• Poll closed .
The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (fantasy)

That was done because, the Academy from what I recall at the time decided that it would a cap stone for the whole trilogy along with the fact that Fellowship and Two Towers were both up for the best picture when they came out.

Here's the standard tvtropes entry Academy Award / Useful Notes - TV Tropes

Honestly, I'm not 100% certain that the Academy is ready to hand out a best picture to a streaming service,so I think it may come down to Joker or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Parasite will more than likely get Best International Film.

But if the Best picture does go to Netflix, I'd expect to see the other streaming services go all out for next year.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
One requirement I wish they would add for the bigger awards is: larger audience. Being open for one week in one theater each at NYC and LA (so Oscar voters can see the film but the public cannot) should not be enough to qualify. Booking theaters in all 100 of the largest cities in America would be more like it.

I still remember when Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings first came out, and that they were going to be a trilogy.

They were all nominated for best picture, and several interviews with some of the voters after the fact stated they were afraid to award Fellowship of the Ring and/or The Two Towers best picture as it would set the precedent that ALL the films are BEST FILMS. Chicago should NEVER have won BEST PICTURE.

All Award shows are pure CRAP, IMO.
I'm guessing you wouldn't have liked The Pianist or Gangs of New York to have won?

When Return won it was up against Mystic River, Lost in Translation, Seabiscuit and Master and Commander, which many others would have preferred.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Well, just got back from watching 1917...and yeah, that's an amazing movie from a cinematography standpoint. Well, and pretty much every other standpoint too IMO - gets my vote.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Haven't seen any of the ones nominated for Best picture.

I might watch Joker if it comes on TV/Netflix (or I can get the DVD dirt cheap).
1917, the Irishman and the Hollywood story, might watch them on TV/netflix. Will not buy.

And I have absolutely NO interest at all in seeing Jojo rabbit. The rest, I have too little knowledge about to even know if they would interest me or not (some I had not even hear the name of before).

Edit: But I think the Oscars are not ready to accept a Netflix-film yet. Hell, it was just a few months ago since Stephen Spielberg was the old man yelling at Netflix to get of his lawn. I think the contenders though are Jojo Rabbit and 1917.

Remove ads