Oscar Talk: What is the "Best" when it comes to film? PLUS BEST MOVIE POLL!

What movie should win Best Picture at the 2020 Academy Awards?

• Ford v. Ferrari

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Irishman

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Jojo Rabbit

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Joker

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Little Women

• Marriage Story

• Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

• Parasite

• If you want a happy ending, it depends on where you stop the story.

• Poll closed .

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Fair enough. That's increasingly true. With the giant TVs, and great resolution, and great sound that so many of us have at home, it's hard to justify going to the movies a lot of the time.

Plus, many of the "serious" movies that get Oscar nods... are basically people just talking to each other. Even if the resolution and sound aren't top of the line... the may not be anything in an Oscar-nominated film that calls for that top of the line.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've only seen The Irishman, Joker, and Once Upon A Time. I enjoyed all three.

Still, that nomination list is a good shortlist for film viewing over the next few months!

Celebrim

Legend
I don't watch enough movies the year that they come out to have a credible opinion.

My favorite two movies of the year thus far have been:
The Highwaymen
Knives Out

On the other hand, that may be the only two movies from this year I've watched, so hardly an informed opinion.

I want to see:
Jojo Rabbit
Ford vs. Ferrari
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I really ought to watch 'The Irishman' but I pretty much detest 'mob' movies and Hollywood's continual obsession with them. Yes, I get that the mob started Hollywood as a money laundering scheme, but why the rest of the nation should be afflicted with your obsession with romanticizing criminals I've never really understood. In fact, I probably won't enjoy 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' because I get disgusted with Hollywood's obsession with itself as well, but Quentin Tarantino is someone whom I recognize as talented but who doesn't make art to my taste, and this is probably as close as we are going to get so I want to give it a try.

Similar thoughts about the 'The Joker'. Don't really need a portrait of a serial killer in my life.

As fascinated as I am by the historical study of warfare, I rarely enjoy a war movie. I don't know if the two facts are related.

I rather liked the 1994 Little Women, but I've really no desire for a new adaptation.

You mention how the Oscars usually give awards to a film of a certain 'type', and you are right, but I think it's also very interesting to go back and give a list of years where the nominations and the winners were in retrospect clearly wrong.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I can't really think of many movies that aren't better on the big screen (other than the occasional overly-boisterous crowd).

I think that's a fair statement. But, it is a question of how much better, as compared to the effort and cost?

I just saw Little Women. Definitely not a film that needed a big screen. But, I expect that being in a screen increased my focus upon the film - so I likely caught more of the nuances of the performances that made it good.

But, would I have gone on my own? No. Would I go because my wife wanted to see it and suggested we make an evening and dinner of it? Sure. The theater we were going to makes good burgers. It didn't take much to sell me on it, but it did take a little bit.

Yeah, I have a strong dislike for mobster movies as well. I'll watch a gritty war movie any day, but movies about mobsters and the criminal underworld just rub me the wrong way. I don't enjoy the stories they tell, or the setting, or the characters for that matter.

Remove ads