OSR OSR Planejammer (+ thread)

jgsugden

Legend
I dropped my version of Sigil into the Astral Sea decades ago. It works really well in my setting due to a number of campaign specific factors.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I am trying to think of this OSR module that has great city tables, and it's something to do with Verdant or Viridian or something green. I know, I'm sorry, that's not much to go on. Maybe have been created by someone named Brendan or Brandon. 🙃

Also, love the idea of motes in the astral sea; or islands. Any thoughts on how to handle ship to ship combat in a way that takes advantage of 3D-ness of this sort of combat without bogging down into too many details?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The 3D thing is tough. I would be more tempted to add some maneuvers that capitalized in the idea but keep it TotM, Minis are a lost cause in the case.

Aldarc

Legend
Also consider looking at Stars Without Number and Worlds Without Number. You could likely retool Stars Without Number and its world/faction tools for plane-jamming, and also use the Worlds Without Number rules for fantasy play.

Edit: DOH! Somehow missed this wonderful suggestion from @loverdrive.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
So here's a thing about Planejamming, of whichever flavour. Gating the game is hard. So in 4E the Astral Sea supplement suggest that roaming the Astral Sea is a level 10+ sort of endeavor (which sounds right). I'd like to be able to run it from the get go, but gating is actually an issue. If the party starts with a ship, gating the game is hugely difficult. So how to do that?

The answer is the reason I pump Planejammer and not just Spelljammer redux. If the party starts off in Sigil, or another urban location, without a ship then their options are limited. If the early option is the kind of doors you find in Sigil, or taking passage on another ship, then it works. You have some time to work up to sailing the high astral seas. That's one version.

There's another version, one where people want to be jamming right off the get go. I appreciate why that might be a goal (it sounds cool to me). Gating that is a different issue, but one I need to solve.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
So here's a thing about Planejamming, of whichever flavour. Gating the game is hard. So in 4E the Astral Sea supplement suggest that roaming the Astral Sea is a level 10+ sort of endeavor (which sounds right). I'd like to be able to run it from the get go, but gating is actually an issue. If the party starts with a ship, gating the game is hugely difficult. So how to do that?

The answer is the reason I pump Planejammer and not just Spelljammer redux. If the party starts off in Sigil, or another urban location, without a ship then their options are limited. If the early option is the kind of doors you find in Sigil, or taking passage on another ship, then it works. You have some time to work up to sailing the high astral seas. That's one version.

There's another version, one where people want to be jamming right off the get go. I appreciate why that might be a goal (it sounds cool to me). Gating that is a different issue, but one I need to solve.
They can also be crew members on a jammer who are often members of the "away" team. Also opens up possibility for a West Marches style campaign, if you have any interest in that.

Remove ads