• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR OSR Planejammer (+ thread)

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
And adding to my own post above, the way you gate it is "Hey you 1st level shlubs. This mission should be ok for you to handle while the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th .... xth mate are off handling "real" missions. Try not to screw it up, ok?" And of course add places where the party most definitely CAN screw it up - hilarity ensues.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
They can also be crew members on a jammer who are often members of the "away" team. Also opens up possibility for a West Marches style campaign, if you have any interest in that.
Yeah, crew members is very possible. The trick with writing a supplement, or a setting, is that you can't assume that, or at least I don't want to. What I want is an OSR Planejammer resource that can be used for lots of different kinds of game. So how to set things to accommodate the given range of games? IDK really... My default is to write it like Firefly meets D&D, but that leaves out a lot of other options...

Or perhaps the astral gets more and more dangerous the further you head away from the interplanar city? Or maybe difficulty could be telegraphed by thinks like the color or density of the environment around them, or by the kind of "astral winds" that are blowing (in the 2e guide, these winds would produce specific emotions)

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Yeah, crew members is very possible. The trick with writing a supplement, or a setting, is that you can't assume that, or at least I don't want to. What I want is an OSR Planejammer resource that can be used for lots of different kinds of game. So how to set things to accommodate the given range of games? IDK really... My default is to write it like Firefly meets D&D, but that leaves out a lot of other options...
Ooooh, I thought this was for your own group, didn't realize you were actually considering writing a supplement! Ok, let me sleep on this one and see if dream-me comes up with anything good.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yeah, a supplement, the plan is something that might look like Into the Wyrd and Wild. BX based but mostly system agnostic. Skycrawl is probably going to be the navigation base, suitably disguised of course.

Remove ads