[OT] 17 years left. What to do?

Droogie

Explorer
Joker said:
And even if it hits, it wont mean the end of the world. Just the end of the region that it hits like that one in Siberia that dropd on us in the beginning of the century...err last century. I dont think this one is big enough to cause a massive cloud that will hang suspended in the atmosphere for several years.

Maybe a week or two. Still enough to kill a lot, just not the total extermination of all species.

I think a few creatures at the bottom of the sea that dont need sunlight will survive.

And me.
A world-wide blackout only needs a few months or even a few weeks to cause world-wide devastation.

The unatural, instant winter would reek havoc on crops, weather patterns, and the food chain in general. Sure, the earth would stablize again, but not until after the deaths of millions of plant and animal species. Humans as a species would most likely survive based on our sheer numbers alone, but most of us would be wiped out. It would be the end of the human race as we currently know it.

Harsh, maybe, but the fact is, mass extinctions like these help drive evolution forward. Maybe in 50 million years, there will be dolphin people (or cockroach people) tapping away at their keyboards. So lets make friends with the asteroid. Group hug!:p

BigBastard

First Post
Joker said:
And even if it hits, it wont mean the end of the world. Just the end of the region that it hits like that one in Siberia that dropd on us in the beginning of the century...err last century. I dont think this one is big enough to cause a massive cloud that will hang suspended in the atmosphere for several years.

And me.

Just as long as I get to use my AR-15 and get to feast on human flesh.;) I will be one happy son of a bitch!:D

Tom Cashel

First Post
Too late

It happened yesterday, as evidenced by this BBC pic:

_1644899_aster300.jpg

Grundle

First Post
Joker said:

Maybe a week or two. Still enough to kill a lot, just not the total extermination of all species.

I think a few creatures at the bottom of the sea that dont need sunlight will survive.

And me.

The Tunguska (sp?) event to which you refer was actually caused by a MUCH smaller asteroid and the thing never even hit the earth. It blew about in the atmosphere and still caused that kind of devastation.

At the turn of the 18th or 19th century a single volcano exploded in the pacific filling the skys with enough ash to cause darkened skies and winterlike conditions in europe for many months.

Don't kid yourself, if the planet was ever hit by an asteroid 1-2 miles in diameter it would be a miracle if ANY mammilian life survived.

Remove ads