• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Anyone going to play Mechwarrior Dark Age?

Brainburn

First Post
This is the new Mechwarrior/Battletech dial game.
I am curious because I have never played a dial game before but want to give this one a try.
Are dial combats fun?

Thanks.
Brainburn

Purple

First Post
I'm going to pick it up. I got a chance to play it at Origins, and had a ball. Using full combined arms (mechs, vehicles and infantry), with very few actual mechs, makes it seem more, I don't know, real. Instead of lots of mechs running around, you will have 1 or 2, with other stuff supporting it. It is great fun.

I've also played a few games of HeroClix, and that is a lot of fun as well. I like the combat dial as you can setup and play a game in a very short period of time. My brother was down for a visit a couple of weeks ago, and I taught him how to play in about 20 minutes. After that we played two or three games in one evening. Lots of fun.

-Purple

BButler

First Post
I'll probably play too. The miniatures look awfully cool, and I like the fact that it is a combined arms game, using mechs.

The rules, like all of WizKids rules are fairly simplistic. This makes the games very easy to learn, but, IMHO, tends to take away some of the more interesting tactical possibilities. WizKids has the rule book and ability cards posted on their website--download it and check it out for yourself.

The main drawback of the game for me is the fact that it is a collectable game. I will never be able to spend enough money to put a winning army on the table. So my strategy will be to try to win with tactics and less powerful troops.

novyet

First Post
Aye, I'll be trying it when it comes out. After talking with people on the boards who had tried it at origins. It sounds pretty neat.

ErichDragon: A dial game, is shorthand for any minis game played with dials for statistics on the unit. Like Mage Knight or Heroclix.

Brainburn

First Post
Looks like the end of the month.

I am truly interested now. looks like they have been delayed until the end of the month now. Anyone else know if any more info on this?

looks like another game to play with the kiddos.

It's great being the dad of a couple of sons.

Brainburn

Drayan

First Post
Myself, and at least one other person in my gaming group will be playin as soon as they come out. My only REAL problem with this dial version, is the lack of customization. My favorite part of Battletech was building custom 'Mechs, and seeing how well they'd do. On the upside, though, i won't have to see my custom-built babies go up in a fireball anymore, that and I don't have to paint them (YAY!).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads