• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT) Chuck Jones dead at 89

WanderingMonster said:
My favorite toon is the one with Marc Anthony, the dog who falls in love with a little kitten. It's a priceless moment when he believes that the kitty (who fell in a bowl of cookie batter) was baked into a kitty-shaped sugar cookie.

Feed the Kitty!!!!!!

Now I'm even sadder. :(

Hey, I know what will cheer me up....

"Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gal!" :)

MythandLore

First Post
We’ve lost yet another of many of the animation greats.

I can’t say his passing was unexpected, the last time I saw him he wasn’t looking so good.
I was lucky enuff to meet Mr. Jones on a few occasions (mostly because I was with beautiful women and he was such a flirt even in his 80s).
He was an out going, nice guy, that called it as he saw it and was one of the funniest people I ever met, he always had a story to tell. :)
Most of the time the story led into another story and he would go on and on. ;)
He will be sorely missed by many of us, but his legacy will not be forgotten.

I can’t just pick one of his films, there are so many I love.

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
Years ago when a group of friends & I used to have a regular video night we used to always make sure to rent a cartoon to watch before the "feature." That's how we discovered the classic "Golden Jubilee" collection of Warner Brother's cartoons. It had almost all the classics.

Eventually I acquired most of them. Our second favorite had to be "A Salute to Chuck Jones" (right after the Bugs Bunny tape).

It included:
"Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2th Century"
"For Scent-imental Reasons"
"One Froggy Evening"
"Rabbit Seasoning"
"High Note"
"Feed the Kitty"
"Zoom and Bored"
"What's Opera, Doc?"

Add in his work on "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and you have a career right there. Plus that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of his excellent work.

Glyfair of Glamis

Wicht

Hero
I think it telling that when the Cartoon Network did their top 100 cartoons of all time, Chuck Jones dominated. It seemed like half the cartoons at the top where his and I am pretty sure the top five of all time were all done by him.

I love his Roadrunner cartoons (and I get the feeling he was always proud of these). No one else as far as I can tell ever did a Road runner cartoon I thought was funny but his were priceless. His Tom and Jerry cartoons are head and shoulders above the originals or anything else that came afterwards. And after he quit doing the five minute cartoons and turned his attention to the longer flicks, like the Grinch, Horton hears a Who, Riki Tiki Tavi and so many others the cartoon world quickly became a better place. His cartoon eyes were so distinctive as was his quirky but often subtle sense of humor. It is sad he will make no more.

Those who do not have a copy of his book, "Chuck Amuck", but who enjoy his work should obtain a copy and peruse it. There are many charming anecdotes that bring the early Warner Brothers studios to life. I would dearly love as well to get a copy of his second book but I have never seen one for sale.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads