• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Do you subscribe to any conspiracy theories?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Dr Midnight said:

Was bugaboo banned?? Pardon me for being either ignorant and/or gullible...
I don't know what you are talking about. Best to just forget about it, no? :)

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Have we all forgotton so soon the recent revelation about the dwarf/gnome/halfling conspiracy. There realy do seem to be to many little people.

PenguinKing

First Post
Hand of Evil said:
I believe tech is surpressed.
Of course it is. And it's not a big secret conspiracy. It's both common knowledge and good marketing strategy. F'rex, if you develop a 1 Ghz CPU, why sell the people 1 Ghz CPUs now, when you can sell them a 100 Mhz CPU now, a 200 Mhz CPU a year later, a 400 Mhz CPU a year after that, and so forth? ;)

- Sir Bob.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yum! Gotta love those conspiracy theories :) I too, find them wonderful brain-candy...

I expect there are a number of events in histry for which we don't know the full story - the assassinations of Kennedy and M.L.King come to mind.

Is there somewhere buried in an oil-company vault a design for a 100mpg carbureator? Plausible? Perhaps. Likely? I dunno.

Some, like UFOs, I have to rank under the "just too cool" rule - there are some things in this world that don't happen, because they'd make the universe just too cool for words if they did.

Humanophile

First Post
Depends on how you define conspiracy theories. Do I believe that there are conspiracies aplenty, sure. Cigarette companies come immediately to mind as an example. And I'm sure I could think of a couple of government ones if I tried. (Tuskagee, anybody?) I really don't think there will ever be a shortage of the privelaged and/or the fanatical who think that they know what's best for the rest of us, though.

My problems with many of the more grandoise ones, though, is that they require me to believe too much psuedoscience, or that you have too many blindly loyal people with stories that are too hard to back up. When you have to think in circles to come to your conclusion, maybe it's time to think things just happened the way they did.

And, of course, if the powers behind most of the grandiose conspiracies are as all knowing, all seeing, and all powerful as the conspiracy theorists claim, as powerful as they'd need to be, than what're all these people doing running around free pointing them out. I don't think we'll know what the real dirt is for a long, long while.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads