• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Down with CGI!

Liquide

DEX: 4
Randolpho said:
Well, I think CGI is good. Without CGI, we couldn't have such wonderful things as this forum, for example. Then there's things like shopping carts, search engines, and classifieds, none of which would be possible without CGI.

Actually that are CG you're referring to mate ;) !

CG = Computer Generated
CGI = Computer Generated Imagery

Just a friendly reminder

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Liquide said:

CG = Computer Generated

Just a friendly reminder
Heh. I love acronyms! :)

There are sentences, however, where they really shouldn't be used: Piratecat looked over the computer-generated, politically correct, chaotic good player character that he had written on his own personal computer... :p

Dimenhydrinate

First Post
shadow said:
I apologize in advance for this topic being unrelated to D&D, but seeing the Star Wars and Spiderman theads really made me start thinking.

ahhh but what of the horrid D&D movie it HAD CGI and so therefore you are now slightly on topic

Crothian

First Post
Darkness said:
Heh. I love acronyms! :)

There are sentences, however, where they really shouldn't be used: Piratecat looked over the computer-generated, politically correct, chaotic good player character that he had written on his own personal computer... :p

You've been sitting on that for a while now, waiting for the perfect time to use it, right? ;)

uv23

First Post
pure cgi is crap.. look at movies like the original star treks.. the ships looked so real because they used actual models.. all of this pure cg crap is just that.. crap.. (my word for the day)

its laziness and cheapness and i'm sick of it
i refuse to see spiderman because of this very reason.. if i want to watch a cartoon, i'll watch a cartoon

Randolpho

First Post
Liquide said:

CG = Computer Generated

Just a friendly reminder

No... CGI means "Common Gateway Interface" in the internet world; it has absolutely nothing to do with graphics. It's that stuff you use to send information to CGI scripts written in such varied languages as Python, Perl, C, or yes, even PHP.

See up at the top of your browser window where it says "Address"? See that part that says, "showthread.php?s=&threadid=12196"? *That* is CGI. Not *all* of CGI, but part of it. See all the buttons you can push and text boxes you can type in? Without CGI, those wouldn't be part of HTML.

It was a bad pun, I know, but it had to be done. :D

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Crothian said:

You've been sitting on that for a while now, waiting for the perfect time to use it, right? ;)
Almost... Truth be told, the "PC" word plays crop up in Nutkinland every now and again. :D
The first time I did it, though, I didn't think of "personal computer" and when Ruin Explorer pointed it out to me and remarked that he found it strange that I managed to miss it even though I obviously was sitting before one, the word "D'oh!" was all could think of for quite some time... :p

(edit - And when Liquide mentioned Computer-Generated in this thread, undreamed-of possibilities were suddenly available to me... :eek:)

Last edited:

Limper

First Post
CGI is BAD

Limper takes the Soap Box.....

"I completely concure. Down with CGI, its not impressive nor will it ever replace PLOT or STORY or CHARACTERIZATION."

"Thank You."

Remove ads