• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Down with CGI!

PenguinKing

First Post
uv23 said:
pure cgi is crap.. look at movies like the original star treks.. the ships looked so real because they used actual models.. all of this pure cg crap is just that.. crap.. (my word for the day)

its laziness and cheapness and i'm sick of it
i refuse to see spiderman because of this very reason.. if i want to watch a cartoon, i'll watch a cartoon
Do you have any idea how much time and effort it takes to create even one second of CGI animation? You need to rethink that "laziness" stance.

Besides, if the issue here is verisimilitude, you think CGI looks like crap, it's unrealistic, it's cheesy - ask yourself this: are deceptive camera angles, stop-motion puppets, improbable wire-fu, and blue-screened backdrops really any less cheesy and lacking in realism?

- Sir Bob.

Victim

First Post
I think that Jar-Jar would have been just as bad, if not worse, as a puppet.

What's kind of funny about CGI characters is that computer games when through a phase in which most things were based off video clips, and now lots of movies are based off computer animated scenes.

I think the best thing about CGI is that it shows us a character, not a somewhat famous person playing that character.

PenguinKing

First Post
Victim said:
I think that Jar-Jar would have been just as bad, if not worse, as a puppet.
My point exactly - there are no bad mediums*, only bad ideas. If it's a bad idea as a computer-generated effect, it would still look just as bad done with camera tricks and puppets - or in Jar-Jar's case, as a guy with latex facial prostheses and animatronic ears.

(And don't anybody try to claim that CGI is bad for allowing more bad ideas to see the light of day; the same can be said of any aspect of movie effects - even sound, for allowing bad pop music to play throughout pivotal scenes. ;) )

- Sir Bob.

* (okay, technically "media" is the plural, but that might lead to confusion in this context.)

Last edited:

kkoie

First Post
PenguinKing said:
Do you have any idea how much time and effort it takes to create even one second of CGI animation? You need to rethink that "laziness" stance.

Besides, if the issue here is verisimilitude, you think CGI looks like crap, it's unrealistic, it's cheesy - ask yourself this: are deceptive camera angles, stop-motion puppets, improbable wire-fu, and blue-screened backdrops really any less cheesy and lacking in realism?

- Sir Bob.

I think some people have the idea that CGI is cranked out in seconds. Heck, the CGI scene from Fight Club where you had the camera pan through a waste basket took 1 week to render! It takes tons and tons of time for the computer to render the detailed CGI scenes!

K Koie

Remove ads