• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] ENWorld Fantasy D&D

tarchon

First Post
I was thinking about starting a league. Anybody interested?
We need to decide whether we're going to use just the standard Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, Rogue lineup or use special classes though.

tarchon

First Post
Eternalknight said:
I have no idea what you mean.
Oh, it's something a lot of pro athletes are into. Every member of the "league" picks (for example) a "team" of 4 characters from among a bunch of weekend D&D games, usually one each of a fighter, wizard, rogue, and cleric along with 1 reserve for each position. Then you get fantasy D&D points for however well your "team" does on that weeked. You get 1 FDD point for every 100 experience points earned by each character on the team, along with points for like foes killed by the fighter or enchanted by the wizard, for undead turned by the cleric, or pockets picked by the rogue, among other things. Some leagues allow you to take one or two "special characters," bards, druids, multiclasses, that kind of thing. Every week you can switch reserve characters for starting characters, if, for instance, one of your starting characters' players is working that weekend (called a "bye," because the player says "goodbye" to the game for that weekend). Also, if like your starting cleric was paralyzed by a ghoul the weekend before, you'll probably want to use your reserve cleric, in case the starter's party doesn't get him unparalyzed, even if he's a better cleric than the reserve. It's also a good idea to see what your characters are fighting - like if it looks like your starting rogue is in a party taking on a dire tarrasque, you should go with the reserve that weekend.

Stone Angel

First Post
As absurd as this sounds. I would be fun what would be the forum. Obviously in the pro "Fantasy" leagues we have actual games to watch. But here we could hardly turn espDnD and watch the halftime show to get updates on Just how the Company of the Writhing Wyrm is doing with their star Barbarian versus the Fist of six with their tough secondary of two clerics.

I suppose that we could do this with our own story hour but that would mean we would actually have to have a draft and then that would count on the DM's and players submitting lots of info. Then we would have to have lots of busy people take extra time to submit weekly updates.

Sounds fun though. IF we can get enough people for this that would be great.

tarchon said:
It's also a good idea to see what your characters are fighting - like if it looks like your starting rogue is in a party taking on a dire tarrasque, you should go with the reserve that weekend.
Hoo boy, I don't like the sound of them apples...

I don't care how many FDDs somebody's getting out of my party, I'm not telling my players what they're fighting ahead of time. That's utterly ridiculous.

I could maybe see this working with strictly RPGA games (BIG MAYBE), but home games just have too much variation for this to work. One game's style of play might yield only a few FDDs a week (though everyone at the table has fun and agrees that's the style they prefer), while somebody else's Monty Haul campaign might yield dozens of FDDs in one night.

Is the DM fudging die rolls? Are the characters too powerful for their level? Is the DM throwing kobolds at a 20th level party just to up their kill count? Is the player misrepresenting his FDD totals, since no one impartial is there to officiate and it's not being watched by thousands of fans?

Remove ads