[OT] Lotr:FotR is now an Oscar winner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lordy, another "dead guys" tribute. I thought they had one already. It's not like they have THAT much more time to work with...

Come on, have a little respect for the dead, several fine actors and directors passed on this year. I don't find it funny or teadious to give them honors.

Nightfall said:
I'm with you on that Green. It's a total crock but what do you expect from an academy that will probably pass on Denzel Washington in favor of Russell Crowe YET again. (Hey I liked Gladiator BUT I NEVER thought he deserved an Oscar.)

Russell Crowe won for Gladiator since he didn't win for The Insider - an amazing performance, but Richard Farnsworth should have won for The Straight Story. Instead, Kevin Spacey won that year for American Beauty. :rolleyes:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Bronze...Believe me when I say I've READ the book. Hell I've got Hardbacks out to wazoo! I tried doing a THESIS on it for College when I was studying for an English (Lit) major. I read it BEFORE the movie came out AND after. And while it's not perfect, it's CERTAINLY wasn't as badly adapted as say, the animated versions I've seen. It may not stream well for some, but for me, it was JUST as Tolkien would have liked it. It may not be perfected adapted or paced as methodically or detailed as Tolkien makes it out to be, but it comes close to being a vision of Middle Earth that everyone can, on a visceral level, feel and appreciate. So yes, you are entitled, and I'm GLAD you liked it and feel critical towards it. My critism, is simple. It's not my vision of Middle Earth BUT it's a vision I can appreciate.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Yeah Whoopi... subtle, real subtle :p He should have been nominated, even though I didn't like the movie much either (the music geek at me screamed at the anachronisms in the music).

LightPhoenix

Sir Osis of Liver said:

Come on, have a little respect for the dead, several fine actors and directors passed on this year. I don't find it funny or teadious to give them honors.

All hail Chuck Jones! The best directory ever!

BronzeDragon

Explorer
Tsyr said:
And I still don't think it would pace right on a screen, too much of the book (the early parts, again, moreso) is too... reflective, I guess.

And that would fail to work in the screen for what reason, specifically?

Does requiring the viewer to introspect, and think, preclude a movie from being effective?

I am still convinced it could have been done shorter if it was done as a true adaptation. And FIs and FOs are not the only ways to relate the passage of time. You can also use wide-view shots from long distance to demonstrate long distances being travelled, instead of making the viewer believe it took just a little hike to get where the characters got. A viewer who never read the book would think the fellowship stayed the night over in Rivendell, took about a fortnight to go from Hobbiton to Rivendell, etc...

But I understand that a slow, introspective movie just does not "hit" with today's market for thrillers, and only thrillers...Monte Cook has a good rant about this on his site, in the archives.

Squire James

First Post
Sir Osis of Liver said:

Sorry, got a funeral to go to tomorrow, and I'm currently a little sick of death. Sorry.

Skywalker

Adventurer
Australian film - Moulin Rouge - full of singing, cheesy lines and midgets.

New Zealand film - Lord of the Rings - full of adventure, rugged men and sexy elven women.

Nuff said :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads