• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Master Tools Early 2002? Are we there yet?

machine

First Post
Howdy Everyone!

Any one 'in the know' know anything about MT's alleged early 2002 release?

I'm just curious, 'cause I'd buy it.

Have a great day!

machine.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Yep, it's getting close thought I'd say we're already past "early 2002." Beta testing has been a bit slow lately because there hasn't been a new version released for a few weeks, but I'm told the next beta version is around the corner.

Gonna slide this over to the Software forum while I'm here..

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
and pcgen just got finished with phase one of the gui revamp. Now it's bug squashing time and document rewrite. I thought they would beat us to the punch but i am not suprised.

Outergod

First Post
PCGen-tastic

Leopold said:
and pcgen just got finished with phase one of the gui revamp. Now it's bug squashing time and document rewrite. I thought they would beat us to the punch but i am not suprised.

PCGen freakin' rules all the earth from an iron throne. When
that GUI revamp is done it will have no competition. Hell...it
has no competition now...

From what I remember reading about Master Tools it's going
to be lacking in quite a few areas...Only the core books? User-
updating limited? Wha???

Do yourself a favor and just get PCGen...and make a donation
for God's sake!

Love,
Outergod

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Re: PCGen-tastic

Outergod said:

updating limited? Wha???

for God's sake!

Love,
Outergod

thank you outergod for that comment we work hard to get the app with as many d20 publishers as we can. We are at 14 D20 publishers as we speak and 20+ settings with our latest one to be Spycraft which for us comes after 2 years of hard work getting this far. We hope for many more to come and with users that give us feedback on how to make our app the best character generator that the market can offer.

Look for us at GenCon, you will see allot of folks from PCGen there..

machine

First Post
EricNoah said:
Yep, it's getting close thought I'd say we're already past "early 2002." Beta testing has been a bit slow lately because there hasn't been a new version released for a few weeks, but I'm told the next beta version is around the corner.

Gonna slide this over to the Software forum while I'm here..

Thanks for the update Eric!

machine.

merton_monk

First Post
Re: PCGen-tastic

Outergod said:

updating limited? Wha???

for God's sake!

Love,
Outergod

Heh - thanks! I like to read the threads here just to see what non-PCGen related software chatter is going on, and your comments made me fall out of my chair laughing. I like your enthusiasm! :) PCGen has been a blast to work on and I'm glad many people have enjoyed it (and jumped in to help!). I don't know about ruling the earth from an iron throne, but we seem to be doing pretty well. Our next goal is a production release after phase II of the GUI revamp is complete. So stay tuned!

Twin Rose

First Post
There are a number of options out there besides MasterTools at this point. It comes down to what you want software to do for you, and what you are willing to pay for it. PCGen, as I understand it, is a great program if you are using certain books and features already programmed. They work pretty hard to bring you the rules and supplements from a number of products, so if you are playing in FR or any thing like that you are setup already. RPM, for at-the-table use I am lead to believe is basically unsurpassed.

Naturally, I feel that Campaign Suite is perfect for game-prep, or for you to manage your own PrCs, races, classes and rolling encounters. Being able to take a creature stat, and turn it into a race for use in the character generator, makes a lot of difference when you are using your own material or only creature stats that are published somwhere else. Instant random encounter tables, and stocked dungeons/overland encounters are a big plus. And, with some prep, you can use it for NPC equipment generation. I won't list all the features here, I'm just pointing out some of the areas that it is best in. Doesn't support FR or other peoples IP, but getting expanded into other D20 markets like The Hunt: Rise of Evil from Mystic Eye Games.

I've heard some good on DMs familiar, at least from Second edition players, but I am afraid I haven't heard as much as I'd like to put out anything fair. Not that I was entirely fair about my own software, but then, who can be?

Good luck, and I hope you don't have to wait until August!

Remove ads