Meet Our Columnists: Andrew "Corone" Peregrine

This is the latest in a series of interviews of our EN World Columnists. In this installment I interview Andrew Peregrine! Michael Tresca (MT): Tell us a little about who you are and what you do. Andrew "Corone" Preregrine (ACP): I'm a freelance games writer and now I write "Peregrine's Nest" for EN World. I've been working in gaming for about 20 years, and in that time I've nagged a lot of...

This is the latest in a series of interviews of our EN World Columnists. In this installment I interview Andrew Peregrine!

AP.jpg

Michael Tresca (MT): Tell us a little about who you are and what you do.
Andrew "Corone" Preregrine (ACP):
I'm a freelance games writer and now I write "Peregrine's Nest" for EN World. I've been working in gaming for about 20 years, and in that time I've nagged a lot of people into giving me work on cool projects as well as publishing a few indie games on my own. Technically, my 'real job' is as a lighting tech in theatre. I'm very lucky to have two jobs I really love, and that don't usually get in the way of each other, and that don't require me to be up in the mornings (usually). I did manage to put them both together to write "Opera House" a theatre RPG.

MT: What's next for your column?
ACP:
Oh god, I have no idea! Luckily something tends to come to me as soon as a deadline starts to loom. I'm lucky that you let me ramble on about whatever comes to mind so there will be more of the same. Generally I try to draw on my experience as a gamer and a writer and hope that something from that will be useful to anyone reading my column.

MT: Are there any interviews or product reviews you're looking forward to covering?
ACP:
Yes, because there always is. Just when you think you've seen everything someone comes out with something amazing and cool. Although it is hard to find something where I don't know someone on the team. This industry can be quite a small village once you've been involved for a while. Having said that, it is also nice to give a boost to a friend when they are doing something awesome. But specifically? Aside from my family at Cubicle 7 and Modiphius (and recently Renegade) I love seeing what Free League will come up with next. Their work is spot on every time, and seems to look effortless. In terms of interviews I'd love to chat to Ginny Di as she is easily my favourite streamer. It is really hard not to steal the subject of her latest video when I can't think of a column, although I can't ever think of anything she's missed.

MT: What games are you planning to play this year?
ACP:
I have a couple of groups and we tend to swap games around depending on who is available and what is going on. My friend (and often writing partner) Walt Ciechanowski often wants to playtest what he's working on, which is always fun. I'm playing Pendragon in an ongoing campaign we pause occasionally to fit other games in, one of which is finishing the Dragonlance campaign (the original one, I'm very behind). Otherwise it tends to be one shots of whatever everyone wants to play, with a view to coming back to it if we enjoy it. But one we always come back to eventually is 7th Sea, which remains my favourite of all time (with Vampire a very close second).

MT: If your work is published anywhere else, where can we find you?
ACP:
I publish my indie games as "Corone Design" but usually I work for a publisher and so those games are available through them. At the moment I mainly work on Doctor Who for Cubicle 7, Dune: Adventures in the Imperium and Star Trek for Modiphius and My Little Pony and World of Darkness for Renegade. I also did Regency Cthulhu for Chaosium, which was something of a dream come true as Cthulhu was my first 'non-D&D' game.

MT: What is your relevant social media and where can fans follow you?
ACP:
Now I'm showing my age. I tend to use Facebook, and have a Twitter/X account I barely use. I don't really understand what Instagram is. But I do try and hang out on Discord forums for things I'm working on to help answer questions.

MT: Anything else you'd like to add?
ACP:
Thanks for reading! If there is anything anyone would like me to write about, mention in the comments, be it industry issues, what looks cool that I've missed or gaming advice etc. It'll help me think of a new article!

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Ulfgeir

Hero
I have one of your older games: Hellcats & Hockeysticks. It is made with lots of humor.

I like the concept of it and it is a fun and quick game where players can, and should cause lots of chaos. Though the rules for regaining willpower are a bit harsh. :)

It is imo very good for oneshots or short campaigns; just set a scene, and see what happens. I have run it at 3 different gaming conventions

Corone

Adventurer
I have one of your older games: Hellcats & Hockeysticks. It is made with lots of humor.

I like the concept of it and it is a fun and quick game where players can, and should cause lots of chaos. Though the rules for regaining willpower are a bit harsh. :)

It is imo very good for oneshots or short campaigns; just set a scene, and see what happens. I have run it at 3 different gaming conventions
Awesome! So glad to hear people are still having fun with it.

Corone

Adventurer
When I ran it for my regular gaming group one of the guys was very sceptical at first, until we got him to understand just how incredibly mean and vicious teenage girls can be... :)
It does seem guys have more fun with it as plenty of women had to play it for real when they were younger :)

Drumheller

Explorer
I sat in with him during a online playtest of the Dune RPG. We played a demo adventure that myself and some others were preparing to run at Gen Con Online during the pandemic quarentine. He was giving us tips and pointers on how to run the game. I'm certain he has no memory of who I was, but he was a nice fellow.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads