[OT] questions about PC RAM

Maerdwyn

First Post
Another vote for Crucial...

I've stopped buying no-name memory, just because Micron give me better performance, and currently costs only a wee bit more than less reliable memory.

Eye Tyrant

First Post
Gargoyle said:
Just returned some "no name" RAM and bought slightly more expensive Kingston RAM for my Windows XP machines. XP wouldn't work with the other RAM, it either crashed or wouldn't boot. Had another machine that I upgraded to XP from 98 and I had to buy new memory for XP to install.

XP is very picky about RAM (and CD ROM drives sometimes, but that's another story).

Generally I buy the cheapest RAM I can get and return it if it doesn't work. That seems to work for me, but YMMV.

Yeah, since upgrading to XP from 98 last weekend, I've had my system sporadically restart all by itself... no locks ups or bluescreens though with XP. I only have 192MB now (Kingston) and was looking at going to DDR soon, since it's dropped in price. I assume that the lack of RAM is what is causing it, XP requires 128, but I'm sure it REALLY needs a lot more then that to be happy...

Impeesa

Explorer
Eye Tyrant said:

Yeah, since upgrading to XP from 98 last weekend, I've had my system sporadically restart all by itself... no locks ups or bluescreens though with XP. I only have 192MB now (Kingston) and was looking at going to DDR soon, since it's dropped in price. I assume that the lack of RAM is what is causing it, XP requires 128, but I'm sure it REALLY needs a lot more then that to be happy...

Hm... this might not be the best time to go DDR. The price has skyrocketed lately, to the point where it's almost as much as (and in a few cases, even more than) RDRAM. RDRAM, on the other hand, has come down a little recently, and (obviously) has the superior performance. That, and the fact that you'd probably have to switch motherboards anyways makes it a great time to pick up a P4 2.0A. Not that Intel has me on commission or anything. :D

Edit: Last I heard, WinXP and 2k both really start to cook around the 512 mb mark.

--Impeesa--

Last edited:

gubaru

First Post
I'll jump on the Crucial bandwagon, too. The memory is very good. I've never had a problem with any that I've bought from them. Their service is good, too.

Last edited:

Eye Tyrant

First Post
Impeesa said:

Hm... this might not be the best time to go DDR. The price has skyrocketed lately, to the point where it's almost as much as (and in a few cases, even more than) RDRAM. RDRAM, on the other hand, has come down a little recently, and (obviously) has the superior performance. That, and the fact that you'd probably have to switch motherboards anyways makes it a great time to pick up a P4 2.0A. Not that Intel has me on commission or anything. :D

Edit: Last I heard, WinXP and 2k both really start to cook around the 512 mb mark.

--Impeesa--

Yeah, my board supports DDR, but I'm so fed up with the dang thing... that's another story all in itself... I was looking today at some DDR and it was fairly cheap, though I didn't see the name brands I would go with. I've always used Kingston, but I think that next time I will go with Crucial due to all the good things I here about it. Perhaps I will just wait til I get a new board...

Remove ads