[OT] questions about PC RAM

Welverin

First Post
I'm planning to get more ram for my computer and was wondering if there is any significant difference in ram made by different companies and if so if any one has any suggestions on company's avoid or look for.
Any suggestions on where to buy it would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

The_Dood

First Post
As long as it fits the slot (and in the case of EDO ram you have enough), RAM is RAM. I should know, I buy it from dodgy dealers at the markets.

The_Dood

First Post
And if the guy, really any guy gives it to you wrapped in a plastic shopping bag, Just say NO. Not everyone knows that besides polluting the enviroment, plastic bags also kill RAM with their in-built static charge.:D

Thorntangle

First Post
I have to pipe in just in case you don't have all your bases covered - check your motherboard manual for things like max capacity, pairing required or not, pins, type (it may only accept EDO if it's older), speed (50-60ns). Check www.pricewatch.com for a good selection of chop shops selling off-the-back-of-the-truck-but-cheap hardware.

BadMojo

First Post
I can heartily recommend www.crucial.com for almost all of your memory needs. Crucial is a division of Micron, a huge RAM producer. Prices are good, quality is excellent, warranty is nice too. They also have a handy "Memory Selector" so you don't have to worry about buying the wrong kind of memory. I've ordered from Crucial several times, and have never been disappointed.

Psionicist

Explorer
I have to second that BadMojo. Crucial rocks!

You can easly push them 15%-20% at the most agressive timings stable. That's 155 FSB on 133 bus machines *drool* :)

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Just returned some "no name" RAM and bought slightly more expensive Kingston RAM for my Windows XP machines. XP wouldn't work with the other RAM, it either crashed or wouldn't boot. Had another machine that I upgraded to XP from 98 and I had to buy new memory for XP to install.

XP is very picky about RAM (and CD ROM drives sometimes, but that's another story).

Generally I buy the cheapest RAM I can get and return it if it doesn't work. That seems to work for me, but YMMV.

Remove ads