• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Sci-Fi Tax ?!

Wolfspider

Explorer
Wow...that's a really interesting idea. Think of it...humanity would have science fiction to thank in part for the knowledge and discoveries that would come about through space exploration. It would no longer be seen as a geeky obsession but a real boon to all the world.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
A sci-fi tax to fund NASA and space exploration and research?

Hmm.

That's not really a bad idea. But how big is the tax, that I am concerned with.

And exactly what falls under science fiction, besides novels? Because for us who are sci-fi gamers are currently paying a bunch -- if not will be -- when the $40 revised Star Wars rulebook is released, Star Trek RPG Player's Guide & Narrator's Guide, and other sci-fi RPG.

Of course, it would be nice if George Lucas is willing to match the sale of the revised rulebook and the Episode II movie admissions in donation toward NASA funding. Come to think of it, how much has he donated toward that cause? Not one red cent?

Zappo

Explorer
Hmm... a tax is compulsory. Sorry, but I don't think anyone should be forced to pay a tax to NASA in order to view the latest Star Wars. Actually, I find the idea ridiculous, since real space exploration isn't that closely tied to Star Trek. It seems like someone thinks that sci-fi geeks are the only ones who want space exploration and therefore should be forced to pay for it. That's a monstrous notion in my eyes: knowledge is a goal and treasure of humanity as a whole. Besides, the technological breaks from space research benefit everyone equally, so why should only a portion of the population pull out the money to fund it?

Lothaire

First Post
While on the surface this might seem wonderful, it is incedibly unfair.

Those who purchase these scifi related goods will be taxed at a higher rate then those who choose not to consume such goods.

However NASA's research and exploration provides a communal benefit.

Thus those who do not purchase Scifi related goods will reap the benefits of research that others subsidize.

Unfair I say.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Besides, the technological breaks from space research benefit everyone equally, so why should only a portion of the population pull out the money to fund it?

Because otherwise there won't be any money to fund it at all?

Axiomatic Unicorn

First Post
Lothaire said:
While on the surface this might seem wonderful, it is incedibly unfair.

Those who purchase these scifi related goods will be taxed at a higher rate then those who choose not to consume such goods.

However NASA's research and exploration provides a communal benefit.

Thus those who do not purchase Scifi related goods will reap the benefits of research that others subsidize.

Unfair I say.

But taxing more productive people at a higher rate for a government that provides "communal benefit" is fair?

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
As rediculous as this is in the first place...can you imagine? The guy even listed toys.

TOYS.

So now that 10-year-old, out to buy Mace Windu, will, with his hard-earned paper route money, BE FUNDING NASA.

Unbelievable...

Zappo

Explorer
Wolfspider said:
Because otherwise there won't be any money to fund it at all?
Then, either divert funds from other things, or raise the taxes equally. Or make joint projects with other nations - IMO the only way to go for ultra-costly scientifical projects like space exploration.

Zappo

Explorer
Axiomatic Unicorn said:
But taxing more productive people at a higher rate for a government that provides "communal benefit" is fair?
The benefits of having a government are much higher for people with high earnings. The benefits of space exploration are the same for sci-fi consumers and anyone else.

Remove ads