• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] WotC being bullies again?

mooker

First Post
Black Omega said:

Yes, this is what they are doing with Battletech. The screams were some time ago when they announced this.:) Mageknight has been scucessful, so hard to blame them for wanting to use Battletech with the same idea.

Boy it's very familiar... didn't WotC tackle Battletech as a CCG right after the success of Magic?

Black Omega

First Post
mooker said:

Boy it's very familiar... didn't WotC tackle Battletech as a CCG right after the success of Magic?
I don't recall which company had the rights on that, but yes. There was a Battetech CCG for a time. I still have some of the cards someplace in my collection. It never really caught on.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I think it was Five Rings Publishing Group that did a BattleTech/MechWarrior TCG. But then it was bought by Wizards of the Coast.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Vuron

First Post
What's interesting Is that I thought that rules mechanics in and off themselves are not capable of being patented.

First Post
QUOTE:

I suppose by the very loosest definition, anything using collectable something could fall under it. It does seem like quite a stretch though.

END QUOTE.

I'd have said the same thing about the IOC's trademark on "five interlocking rings." But Hasbro lost that fight, and thus L5R got a new card back. Patent/Trademark/Copyright law is a strange beast indeed.

Alan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads