• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] WotC being bullies again?

Holy Bovine

First Post
Yes, but they have money - so if they try to protect their inventions then they must be bullies.:rolleyes:

The only thing I'm surprised at is that WotC didn't have their CCG system patented in full right from the beginning.

Black Omega

First Post
The WotC patenting the CCG thing is pretty old news really, though they may have just formalized the final legal side of it recently. It's a little pointless to call them bullies if they aren't actually picking on anyone yet, though. Wait until they smackdown Wizkids or someone and then we can complain. Though as an old BattleTech fan, anything they do to Wizkids is fine with me.:)

Ranger REG

Explorer
Black Omega said:

Though as an old BattleTech fan, anything they do to Wizkids is fine with me.:)
Why? Just because they're trying a different approach doesn't spell the end of BattleTech.

BTW, I did report that WizKids have licensed what is now called Classic BattleTech to a Germany-based company, FanPro. They will continue that product line. In fact, you should ask your FLGS if they have Technical Readout: 3067 on sale, the first Classic BattleTech product since FASA have shut down, and all IP have been transferred/acquired by a former FASA founder, Jordan Weisman, now owner of WizKids.

On-Topic... I don't see how their strengthening their TCG patent have anything to do with the Clickable/Collectible Miniatures Combat Game, unless the "collectable game piece" part is the main issue.

Last edited:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Black Omega said:
Wait until they smackdown Wizkids or someone and then we can complain. Though as an old BattleTech fan, anything they do to Wizkids is fine with me.:)

Yeah, mean old Wizkids. Sure was evil of them to license out classic battletech to FanPro, to make sure all their old battletech fans get new products, despite the fact it won't make them any money.

Black Omega

First Post
Ranger REG said:

Why? Just because they're trying a different approach doesn't spell the end of BattleTech.
Well, Wizkids initial comments were along the lines of "We're trashing 90% of Battletech and just keeping the history and mech designs." It wouldn't be the end of Battletech as a game. But the new BT would not have had anything to do with the past product aside from giant robots.

I'd not heard the FanPro news. That sounds encouraging.

On-Topic... I don't see how their strengthening their TCG patent have anything to do with the Clickable/Collectible Miniatures Combat Game, unless the "collectable game piece" part is the main issue.
I suppose by the very loosest definition, anything using collectable something could fall under it. It does seem like quite a stretch though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads