D&D 5E Other names for halflings

Einlanzer0

Explorer
I'm knowledgeable about its origin in D&D, but the word "halfling" always seems like a pejorative used by by bigger people rather than an acceptable name for the race. I think mostly this comes from its descriptive nature (only dragonborn are similar, and, frankly, I don't like that name either). Are there better terms for halflings used in different campaign settings? I remember the Kender of Dragonlance, but they are technically not the same race. I'm just curious about what insights other people have.

Yeah that always bothered me, too. Just because "hobbit" is vetoed, doesn't make "halfling" work well, especially in the sense that the race would call themselves that. "Hin" works (although I suspect it's lifted from Hîn or Chîn which is Sindarin for "children", so, still a Tolkien fallback.

I have mused before about the offspring of an elf and a human being a halfling, which would make sense name-wise.

To go full Tolkien and inspire from Old English;

ríce Strong Neuter Noun ja-stem
realm 1. power authority reign referring to sovereigns or to others in authority 2. the district in which power is exercised a kingdom realm diocese 3. the people inhabiting a district a nation

frumcynn Strong Neuter Noun
ancestry origin descent lineage race tribe
frumcynn Singular Plural
Nominative (the/that þæt) frumcynn (the/those þá) frumcynn
Accusative (the/that þæt) frumcynn (the/those þá) frumcynn
Genitive (the/that þæs) frumcynnes (the/those þára) frumcynna
Dative (the/that þæm) frumcynne (the/those þæm) frumcynnum

cynd Strong Neuter Noun
origin generation birth race species place by nature nature kind property quality character offspring gender genitalia
cynd Singular Plural
Nominative (the/that þæt) cynd (the/those þá) cynd
Accusative (the/that þæt) cynd (the/those þá) cynd
Genitive (the/that þæs) cyndes (the/those þára) cynda
Dative

Have a play here: http://www.oldenglishtranslator.co.uk

ríce Strong Neuter Noun ja-stem
realm 1. power authority reign referring to sovereigns or to others in authority 2. the district in which power is exercised a kingdom realm diocese 3. the people inhabiting a district a nation
This is the same word as modern English "rich" and German "Reich".

frumcynn Strong Neuter Noun
ancestry origin descent lineage race tribe
frumcynn Singular Plural
Nominative (the/that þæt) frumcynn (the/those þá) frumcynn
Accusative (the/that þæt) frumcynn (the/those þá) frumcynn
Genitive (the/that þæs) frumcynnes (the/those þára) frumcynna
Dative (the/that þæm) frumcynne (the/those þæm) frumcynnum
"Frum" is actually not modern English "from", but the meaning is close enough that I'd happily translate this as "From-kin". Names using "-kin" seem to be popular for definitely-not-hobbits. In Magic: the Gathering, they're "Kithkin".

cynd Strong Neuter Noun
origin generation birth race species place by nature nature kind property quality character offspring gender genitalia
cynd Singular Plural
Nominative (the/that þæt) cynd (the/those þá) cynd
Accusative (the/that þæt) cynd (the/those þá) cynd
Genitive (the/that þæs) cyndes (the/those þára) cynda
Dative
Modern English "kind". Got Hamlet on the brain, do we?

Last edited:

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
The term "halfling" goes back to Tolkien as well, and is a translation of the Sindarin periannath. "Hobbit" is itself a translation of their name for themselves, which means "hole builder". In the original Westron, the name is "Kuduk".

The term "halfling" goes back to Tolkien as well, and is a translation of the Sindarin periannath. "Hobbit" is itself a translation of their name for themselves, which means "hole builder". In the original Westron, the name is "Kuduk".
All after-the-fact etymologizing, as I understand it. Tolkien wrote "In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit" and only later set about figuring out where that word came from.

(The dirty little secret of Tolkien's language construction is that he actually did this sort of thing a lot. Well, I say "dirty" -- really I think it makes him and his process much more approachable.)

Last edited:

Remove ads