• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Our 1st Pathfinder campaign, and we could use some help.

Iapetus

Explorer
The group should discuss the setting together. Make a world together, or at least make elements together. If you want to limit races to push certain features of the world.

The DM has a very clear, if a bit complex, idea for the world. The group agrees with his idea, but until we get to that point we are using generic campaign.

Now here is an important question: why are you waiting so long to have fun? The GM wants to run a level 5 adventure. Fine, run a game at level 5. Don't start at level 1, grind for a bit, then finally go play the game the GM wants to run. It shouldn't be that hard to come up with a reason why the party works together and come up with some basic tactical plans to make it look like they have adventured together for a while.

To answer your question, we are not waiting but spending time developing our characters. At level five where the campaign alters itself to be in an altered setting, the DM and I are going to start recording the adventures and writing a book (which is why we aren't using ready-made adventures past level 5). At this point we are not stopping leveling up, just powerful enough to be "hero worthy" as far as fantasy goes. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Razjah

Explorer
Well, that changes basically everything.

Do you have character's yet? What is the party composition?

As for the game, I think Jester Canuck is on the right path.
The caravan is the easiest. Some PCs might be guards, others might be passengers, and others might be traders. They might know each other or they might not.

You can also try linking backgrounds, like in the Dresden Files RPG. Everyone writes a small one or two sentence prior adventure and ties it to another person at the table (say the person at their left). Everyone has a cameo or guest appearance in another's past, so the group as a whole knows each other.

I think you should combine these. Say it is the normal party of Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard for the game. Fighter and Wizard could have been friends from their rural upbringing. Cleric and Rogue met when Rouge was attacked on the church steps. Rouge also met Fighter because Fighter has been guarding the caravans and Rogue is merchant-prince, son of the region's largest caravan company. Wizard met Cleric through many encounters in the Library of [something from your game] where they spoke at length of various magical and theological theories.

Now the caravan, everyone is there for some reason. It's Rogues turn to lead an expedition. Fighter is being evaluated for promotion based on his performance here. When Wizard needed to travel to another city for his mentor to get special materials for experiments, he signed on to be passenger on the caravan knowing his old friend was guarding it. Cleric could be performing a pilgrimage and traveling with two friends works out wonderfully for providing company and good times.

Now the party knows everyone, or will soon. Friends know each other, and can introduce each other at the fireside at night. Sure when combat breaks out Fighter and Cleric don't know each other, but the he does have two friends saying he is good.

Iapetus

Explorer
The party is currently composed of barbarian (1/2 elf), wizard (human), and summoner (halfling). The alchemist and rogue are a completely new players (started making characters this most recent session). It turns out my idea for the summoner was to hard to roll play, so I will be switching to bard though we truly need a cleric (which I will not go into). So the count is:
-Barbarian (1/2 elf from mountains)
-Wizard (human from floating city)
-Bard (halfling pirate captain)
-Alchemist (as of next session)
-Rogue (as of next session)
We have good reason for the first three to have met, but can you think of any good connections?

Razjah

Explorer
Alchemists and Wizards could learn their magic at the same Arcane University. They could know each other the same way many biology and chemistry majors meet at labs. They could have a bunch of classes that overlap. The Bard may only need a few classes, and met them for a brief time.

The Rogue and Barbarian could have pulled a job together, joined a guild and met there, or if the Rogue is an elf, 1/2 elf, or human the two could have grown up together.

Do those work?

Remove ads