Our (as in ENWorld's) tribute to Gary

Michael Morris

First Post
I am going to print a poster measuring 40" across by however long it takes to display the users with at least 10 posts that have not been banned. (Sorry lurkers, but there isn't enough room to print all 60,000 names - as it is the thing will be about 6-7' high).

The logo I made on Tuesday will be at top. I ask for a short verse or eulogy for the top. I will pull the first one I like for this - time constraints prevent a more democratic process of doing this. You have until 1:00 (Approximately 1 hour 10 minutes from the time of this post.

Go!

paradox42

First Post
Several people on other threads have mentioned Einstein's famous quotation about quantum mechanics; one poster even put together a JPEG showing Gygax running a game for Einstein. In light of this, I suggest:

In our world, god does play dice with the universe- thanks to Gary.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
"Einstein said God doesn't roll dice. He does so from now on every saturday evening."

Sorry, it sounded better before I wrote it down :(

Flynn

First Post
"May you be Blessed on your Journey, for all the lives you have touched and all the joy you have brought to the world throughout your life."

With Regards,
Flynn

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
You know. The referance might be lost on those who don't know the origin of the quote. If I may make small change to Paradox's verse:

Einstein said God doesn't play dice with the universe. In our world he does. Thanks to Gary.

dm4hire

Explorer
Just a few quotes I found. I like the last one.

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." -Quote popularly attributed to Gary Gygax

“It only surprised me up until around 1977, ... I had thought we were going to have a considerable audience of gamers and science fiction and fantasy fans. I thought easily with those we'd have 50,000 or more [buyers], but when people began to write me [with questions] about what fantasy books to read, and I saw the wide range of both younger and older people who were attracted to the game, I understood that it was reaching a deeper chord, something deep within us.” - Gary Gygax

“God's dice always have a lucky roll” - Sophocles

“Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen.” - Stephen Hawking

“You created the world, and assigned tasks to one and all. You watch over Your Creation, and through Your All-powerful Creative Potency, You cast the dice.” - Sri Guru Granth Sahib

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
"I wish to say that my life has been truly blessed by the wonderful life my father has shared with me and someday I hope to share with one of my own ... what he has given to me, creativity flows through my veins like water and sometimes it is hard to conceive that all people do not share such a common background."
— Ernie Gygax

(from his introduction to Kids Coloring Book, 2002)

Remove ads