• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Our Physical Fitness

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Mostly Deadlifts. 475 x5 x4 2x3. Then overhead press and a bunch of fun stuff.
View attachment 153251
What's this display/tracker from?

Yesterday for me was circuits of planks, deadlifts, dumbbell bench, dumbbell preacher, followed by circuits of leg press, lat pulldowns, face pulls, then did a couple of sets of low cable rows and dumbbell skull crushers.

Have some good soreness today.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Sundays are my best workout days, I think. I know this doesn't look like all that much, but I have a sedentary job, so getting in 25 miles last week is an accomplishment. I am also able to get in 3-4 days a week of anaerobic work, and not just aerobic, which doesn't show on the tracker.

1647268866610.png

darjr

I crit!
Sundays are my best workout days, I think. I know this doesn't look like all that much, but I have a sedentary job, so getting in 25 miles last week is an accomplishment. I am also able to get in 3-4 days a week of anaerobic work, and not just aerobic, which doesn't show on the tracker.

View attachment 153346
I wish I could get in that many. That’s awesome!

darjr

I crit!
What's this display/tracker from?

Yesterday for me was circuits of planks, deadlifts, dumbbell bench, dumbbell preacher, followed by circuits of leg press, lat pulldowns, face pulls, then did a couple of sets of low cable rows and dumbbell skull crushers.

Have some good soreness today.
Apple health.

The watch is such a great all around tracker for me, from workouts to sleeping to steps to tie into my eating.

I haven't done barbell rows at all, but I've done some dumbbell rows, some cable rows, and occasionally lat pulldowns in the past. Just recently I've been making cable rows and lat pulldowns part of my regular all-the-time routine because I realized that I've been neglecting my back. Maybe I should give barbell rows a try.

I use all dumb bells at home now (I accumulated a pretty full set over many years). I find it does the job for me (plus I saw a pretty horrific barbell accident with some bench presses in a fitness class in college and that made me shift entirely to dumb bells: not that those don't have just as many accidents---just get a bit weirded out using barbells now).

The past couple weeks I have been a bit lazy, only getting in one or two good work out days a week. But my current approach is to try to at least do something for 30-60 minutes every day if I can. I like to combine weights, cardio and boxing. And since I am not training for anything in particular anymore, just health, I go a lot more by feel. One day is usually reserved for working chest, another back, but besides alternating between those two things I will mix in whatever i feel I need. However I always start my routine with 3 sets of three different push up elevations, sit-ups in three positions, squats and lunges. Then I will do a series of weights (usually for about 20 to 30 minutes, then end with shadow boxing, jumping jacks, skip knees and line drills from martial arts. When it is nice out I will do 3-5 rounds on the heavy bag outside. On days where I am not feeling it, I try to at least do shadow boxing and jumping jacks.

Also one thing I started doing many years ago that I think has been helpful is eat a full meal right before working out (not waiting one hour or two hours, but forcing my stomach to adapt and giving myself plenty of fuel for the workout). When I first started doing that, I'd want to lose my lunch during a workout, but I got to the point where I could eat a full meal right before going to a boxing or muay thai gym and not have any problem at all.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I use all dumb bells at home now (I accumulated a pretty full set over many years). I find it does the job for me (plus I saw a pretty horrific barbell accident with some bench presses in a fitness class in college and that made me shift entirely to dumb bells: not that those don't have just as many accidents---just get a bit weirded out using barbells now).
I can see that. I've been focusing on dumbbells for my bench press recently for the range of motion. I have done some dumbbell rows in the past; may add them back in, although right now the lat pulldowns, low cable rows, face pulls and deadlifts feel like a pretty good complement for back work.

Also one thing I started doing many years ago that I think has been helpful is eat a full meal right before working out (not waiting one hour or two hours, but forcing my stomach to adapt and giving myself plenty of fuel for the workout). When I first started doing that, I'd want to lose my lunch during a workout, but I got to the point where I could eat a full meal right before going to a boxing or muay thai gym and not have any problem at all.
I've been eating fairly low carb for the last few years, but my Reputable YouTube Research is now inclining me more toward including significant carbs, at least on workout days, for fuel and recovery. I usually do eat a moderate breakfast shortly before my big workout on Sundays, but not a big meal. Yesterday I switched it up and ate heavy, and was a bit uncomfortable/bloated to start out, but definitely had good energy overall.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
I love dumbbells. But I still want to do barbell work, for a while yet. I know it’s just cause I wanna say Squat, Bench, Dead but having fun is all part of it, plus my gym now has max shirts and I want it!

I’ve done full blown Keto until I started putting on weight with it and not in a good way. I’ve done fasting, from restricted eating windows to full on nothing but saltwater for days. Among other things like very low carb.

I wouldn’t do most of them ever again. They did have a purpose and absolutely helped me lose weight, well at first anyway. And at the time that weight loss was my singular goal, damn the consequences. Went from 340 to 240 in just a few months on keto/fasting. But, I also did a lot of damage. Lost so much str in my legs I had to go to physical therapy. My squat was less than my bench for a long time.

I will say though, fasting was very “spiritual”. I entered a kind of zen that I miss now. Though I dint think I’ll ever do it again.

Now I’m in a low fat high carb hi high protien looking to lose about a 1lb a week, with maintenance diet breaks included.

I broke under 300 again and ma going to just kinda maintain for a bit. I’m a lot heavier in muscle than I was last time I was 300 too. A lot stronger too.

And it isn’t excruciating either. It’s almost easy….. almost. The tracking of every gorram thing I eat sucks, but the app I’m using now makes it easier than ever.

Here is the graph, the dots are estimated and the line is scale.

79EFBE99-F9E1-435E-B91C-97FDF42C210B.jpeg

The left goes up to over 310lbs.

You can see where I went back to maintenance on the right had side.

The amazing thing to me is that my strength has kept going up during this latest phase.

I used to hide all this, but not anymore. I kinda have to chatter about it, sorry.

Side note, I found family and friends are joining in more and more, which is the very best part.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Before we had our baby in October I was going on a one-hour bike ride every day through Golden Gate Park and out to Ocean Beach. We bought a jogging stroller, which I was excited to use. But then I found out you can't jog with a baby until they are 6 - 9 months old!

So just a few weeks ago I finally figured out a workout routine that works for baby and me.

We always go for a walk in the stroller before lunch. Now three days a week I bring my boxing gloves and do a workout on a field in the park while the baby sleeps. My routine is:

100 punches (shadow boxing)
5 forward kicks, round houses, hooks on each side

25 push ups
50 jumping jacks
20 knee lifts
10 squats
Punching sets (a total of 100)

25 push ups
50 jumping jacks
20 knee lifts
10 squats
Kicking sets (a total of 60)

25 push ups
50 jumping jacks
20 knee lifts
10 squats
Punching sets (a total of 100)

25 push ups
50 jumping jacks
20 knee lifts
10 squats

Then we head home so I can take a shower!

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I go for a 60-90 minute walk with the baby.

I'm also doing back stretches every day to help alleviate back pain (exacerbated by lifting and bending over the baby).

I'm about 178 lb now, trying to get down below 170.

I can't wait until I can jog and bike ride with the baby though, that's going to be transformative!

Remove ads