• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Our Physical Fitness

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
My new fitness goals for the year:
  • Run 1 mile (1.6 km) in 7 minutes. Current time: 8:48.
  • Hold a 6-minute elbow plank. Current max: 3:06.
  • Bench press my body weight. Current max: 78%.
Pretty ambitious for a 47-year old, but I've cleared them with my doctor. Wish me luck.

darjr

I crit!
I wish I could run more. 2 miles would be a dream.

I figured my old broken body is going to ache anyway, might as well be for a reason.

Weather is getting warm enough I’m going to start in the bike again. I avoid ice as much as possible.

Oh my gym is like an aircraft warehouse, gotta yell if I want my neighbor to hear me.

Sacrosanct

Legend
My new fitness goals for the year:
  • Run 1 mile (1.6 km) in 7 minutes. Current time: 8:48.
  • Hold a 6-minute elbow plank. Current max: 3:06.
  • Bench press my body weight. Current max: 78%.
Pretty ambitious for a 47-year old, but I've cleared them with my doctor. Wish me luck.
I don't know how your 47 year old body is doing, but my 47 year old body, the minute I turned 45, went to hell. When I say "the minute I turned 45", that isn't much hyperbole lol. Within the first month after my 45th birthday, I got shoulder impingements in both shoulders, a torn labrum in my left shoulder, bursitis in my left Achilles, gout, and passed my first kidney stone.

I can't exercise as much as I used to but I try to get 30 minutes a day for health reasons. Normally a portion of that is weights, and the rest is cardio. In warm months, I use the heavy bag in my yard for the cardio (and will often do 45 minutes on those days). The rest of the time I a bunch of sets of free weights, then go through a routine of shadow boxing and various cardio exercises. I used to do martial arts and was going back to the boxing gym for a while but my body isn't really able to handle that level of training anymore (as much as (though it tricks me into thinking it can whenever I get back into that)
I don't know how your 47 year old body is doing, but my 47 year old body, the minute I turned 45, went to hell. When I say "the minute I turned 45", that isn't much hyperbole lol. Within the first month after my 45th birthday, I got shoulder impingements in both shoulders, a torn labrum in my left shoulder, bursitis in my left Achilles, gout, and passed my first kidney stone.

I get that. I am about the same age. Bursitis is surprisingly painful. When I was in my early 30s I got hit with Crohns and a bunch of surgeries. That very much impacted how long I can do extended activities for (standing for long periods of time is difficult, but easier if I am moving around, and I have fistulas I have to constantly maintain which makes a lot of activities difficult). However, I went from doing full contact exercise all the time, to almost zero activity and eventually the doctor was like "you have to gain muscle weight and exercise before your organs start to fail" (I was down to 120 pounds). So I started up slowly, and was surprised how much exercise I could manage, I also found where my limits were as well. The trick for me I found was to keep it at 30 minutes, or up to 45 tops, and to try to keep doing it regularly. One thing I found was losing weight initially after the surgeries was beneficial because it stopped some other health issues I was developing (sleep apnea, acid reflux from a hiatal hernia), and getting up to a lean healthy weight once I got too low was also very beneficial.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Eh, it's doing okay. My joints and muscles are in good shape (apart from an old knee injury that occasionally aches), but I have cholesterol problems that I have to manage. So that means lots of fiber and exercise, and limited saturated fat.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Eating out more (carry out) since the fall has not been good for me at all, so I'm going to bring healthier stuff to the office for lunches.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I swear I started using reading glasses as soon as I turned 40. I keep a pair in the car. One in the livingroom, and one in the bedroom. The idea is so I don't have to go far to hunt them down, because I hate carrying them around.

At 46, the rest of me is just as broken down as it always has been.

Zardnaar

Legend
Been on a diet for a couple of months. Doctor recommended 30 mins of exercise a day, been doing closer to an hour or two.

Basically been doing walks up hills.

IMG_20220125_104502.jpg

Alright view.

IMG_20220126_092037.jpg

Typical path.

Want to do this by April.

Next month.

Basically 3-4 hour walks hiking up 600-700 metered hills.

Goal for next summer try a mountain hike. Today's effort was 3-4km up a 1000 metre mountain bike trail explore after doing a lap of that reservoir.

Pineapple Track is around 10 minute drive Silver Peaks 30 minutes and is a 4 hour walk or 25km overnight hike. There's a DoC hut.

Also a return to Orokonui Ecosanctuary half hour away 3 hour walk through native forest.

Found some redwoods and old precolonial Rimu trees around 250-500 years old. Not many that age left as they got cleared out by the settlers.

IMG_20211231_110951.jpg

Looking towards silver peaks from Orokonui Ecosanctuary. Only 600 metres up around a month ago.

Last edited:

Remove ads