Our Physical Fitness

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't do gym but taking up walking and hiking.

10 minute drive and 30-90 minutes later.

Gone up there 3 times since February. One was 3 hour shortest 2 hour.

Longway involves going through a forest.
IMG_20220417_101459.jpg
I'm 43 some parents take their toddlers up there and you see 2 year olds giving it a go.

Lost 5kg since December plan is to slowly lose another 10 or so see if I can get weight down to 1997 levels.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Goal for summer 4 day hike through alpine rainforest kinda real life Jurassic Park. Wife's not super keen plan B 1-2 day hike through Silver Peaks.

Plan B.

Sister in law and family are ahead if me. Nephew just got a VR set but this week he's getting dragged off for a hike he's 8. He's going here.

May can be dicey with the weather down there might get rained off 2000mm of rain per year have fun ya little ....

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I don't do gym but taking up walking and hiking.
I've been doing more and more mountain hiking the last few years. NH has 48 mountains 4,000' or higher, and lots of smaller ones. The weather here has just gotten to the point that I can re-start that in warm weather clothing again; still haven't taken up winter hiking (though I've dipped my toes into snowshoeing). Excited to get up on the peaks again in the next couple of weeks.

Zardnaar

Legend
I've been doing more and more mountain hiking the last few years. NH has 48 mountains 4,000' or higher, and lots of smaller ones. The weather here has just gotten to the point that I can re-start that in warm weather clothing again; still haven't taken up winter hiking (though I've dipped my toes into snowshoeing). Excited to get up on the peaks again in the next couple of weeks.

4000' we call that hill country.

Mount Coook/Aoraki. 3700 metres.

That's a 4 hour drive iirc. Haven't been up there for a bit.

Silver Peaks go up to 4700 feet.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/new-zealand/otago/silver-peaks-loop-track

It's a gnarly one the tracks a bit rough. Probably not ready for that one there's a nearby ecosanctuary that's around 2000 feet up with a 3 hour loop through native forest with Kaka and Tuatara.

Last edited:

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Yes, the Appalachians are very old and pretty worn down at this point. It was funny thinking about the spectacular views from Mount Monadnock (3,166') last October while I was on top of Moro Rock (6,720') in March, looking UP at Sierra peaks like Triple Divide Peak (8,025), Mount Stewart (9,415), Kaweah Queen (13,388), and Mount Eisen (12,185).

Do folks do Aoraki as a day hike? NH's tallest, Mount Washington, is 6,288', but the weather tends to be more of a factor than the sheer height/distance.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yes, the Appalachians are very old and pretty worn down at this point. It was funny thinking about the spectacular views from Mount Monadnock (3,166') last October while I was on top of Moro Rock (6,720') in March, looking UP at Sierra peaks like Triple Divide Peak (8,025), Mount Stewart (9,415), Kaweah Queen (13,388), and Mount Eisen (12,185).

Do folks do Aoraki as a day hike? NH's tallest, Mount Washington, is 6,288', but the weather tends to be more of a factor than the sheer height/distance.

You can't hike to the top of Aoraki. That requires climbing equipment.

The tracks vary in length. There's a 5 hour hike up to a Hut. There's a glacier lake up there as well.

Can be dangerous as well there's unrecovered bodies up there.

Nellisir

Hero
I'm up around Concord & would be really interested in going hiking sometime if you want some company! :)

Maletherin

Explorer
Is that better for knees? (That being my particular issue).
Bike for bad knees, at least at first. Running does help the knees and if you're skinny enough you can do that. I'm personally a big dude slimming and I bike/ruck. Calisthenics for the rest. I'm getting old and my powerlifting days are behind me.

Remove ads