Our Physical Fitness

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Bike for bad knees, at least at first. Running does help the knees and if you're skinny enough you can do that. I'm personally a big dude slimming and I bike/ruck. Calisthenics for the rest. I'm getting old and my powerlifting days are behind me.
Yeap, biking has been good for my knees. I also like to get my exercise while sitting down. :cool:

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Aside from missing a week last month to being down with flu, I've continued apace. Got my deadlift PR up to 325 on May 29th. Doing most of my bicep work with 50lb dumbbells now and chest starting off with 55s, so definitely still seeing progress. I've continued the usual schedule- Sunday morning a 2 - 2.5hr full body session, and Tuesday and Thursdays after work doing an hour+ of mixed upper body- chest, back, arms and sometimes shoulders.

Between deadlift and leg press I definitely give my legs a good workout on Sundays, but while I have a bit of disruption (especially the next day), I never seem to have any soreness, nor do I get the truly debilitated/can't walk feelings people talk about with heavy leg days. So I've been contemplating adding a second leg day for a while.

Finally tried going in last night for a quick session of more leg press (I should probably add hams; I already add calf raises at the end of every leg press set), interspersed with a few sets of lateral raises. Yikes! :ROFLMAO: I definitely felt debilitated! The first time (at least in a long while) that I've felt real weakness and trouble walking. Stairs and even a bit of general ambulation are a little rough today, but I'm not really sore, so that's good.

Sunday's leg portions were:
Deadlift 225x10, 245x10, 275x6 +2 (grip fail; reset and breathe), 275x5
Leg press 408x12, 458x12, 508x6 +458x6 +408x10 (drop setting on the third set)

Wednesday evening I did:
Leg press 408x15, 458x12, 498x6 +458x6 +408x8 (drop sets on the third set)

Oof. Assuming I don't actually injure myself, though, this seems like it will probably be productive in improving my legs faster.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I took a deload week this past week, to reduce some fatigue and joint strain. Slightly light session Tuesday, slightly light Wednesday but for different muscle groups (it's my second leg day, plus a couple of accessories) and only two sets, significantly lighter and two sets Thursday, and I took Sunday off completely. Did go for a short hike on Saturday, so got a little leg exercise there.

Kind of excited to get back to the gym tonight, though I still haven't made up my mind whether to hit it really hard and go to failure on everything, or start a little lighter and hold a few reps in reserve and work up over the next few weeks.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
For 20ish years I used to hit the gym 3-6 times/week. Then 9 years ago I almost died from a crashed aorta valve and had to go through emergency surgery and a long rehab period. I have a mechanical valve now that works like a charm. But after that I only do walking and some free weights at home. And the pandemic with perma-distance working has not been kind to me, with lots of weight gained and dire potatofying.

So, I'm slowly getting back to the regular long walks etc, but it's a struggle.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Still haven't gotten exercise in. Dr. Gave me three months to get my cholesterol under control, and I've cut the fluff out (so no sausage or cheese at breakfast, no sauce or red meat on the lunch sandwich, don't order fries going out...). We'll see.

Last edited:

Vael

Legend
Last couple weeks have been rough, but I try to work out 3-4 times a week, mix of weights and cardio (elliptical, treadmill or swimming). I've been trying to get back into dance, I like to do Swing and Ballroom dances, Lindy Hop is a fav.

Remove ads