Out Of Combat Action Surge Uses

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
In my opinion, Action Surge can be used out of combat. Here is the text, "Starting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action."

It says actions and turns, but then spells say the same thing (and yes I can quote plenty of places in the Spells section which mentions turns and actions)...but everyone agrees you can cast spells outside of combat as well, right? So by that logic, there should be no rule against using action surge out of combat in the appropriate situation.

What is the appropriate situation? Any encounter or challenge out of combat with a time constraint involved where normally the DM would ask the PC for their action. In such cases, a Fighter should be able to choose an action (like a skill check) and then action surge to apply a second action (like another skill check).

So what are some examples of out of combat challenges where action surge could help?

Here are some of mine.

1) Party is scaling a wall or cliff to enter a building and doing it quickly is of concern because they don't want to be spotted by the roving guards. Where others can climb 15 feet in 6 seconds, the fighter could climb 30 feat with an action surge.
2) The party ducks into the Count's bedroom during the ball to search for a key, and they have moments before they must leave or be caught. Where others can make either an active perception check or an active investigation check in 6 seconds, you can do both with an action surge.
3) Any sneaking: Where others can move 15 feet when sneaking, the fighter can move 30.
4) Some persuasion checks can benefit from PC knowledge mid-conversation. When the DM says "You can make either a history or religion check to try and remember something quickly to help you persuade the priest you mean well" others must choose one of those checks but you can make both checks with an action surge.
5) Chase: Where others can dash once per six seconds away from or after someone you can dash twice.
6) Any situation involving a quick skill check. Normally when you blow a skill check in those time-sensitive situations, you're screwed...but not you, sometimes. You can blow a skill check and where appropriate spend an action surge and try it again or try an alternative skill check. Do you need to get into the room quick before the villian slays your friend? Attempt to pick the lock with a thieves tools check, and if that fails action surge to try and bash the door open with an athletics check.
7) [MENTION=6801204]Satyrn[/MENTION] mentioned a situation that happened to me as well. An ally fell in rapids and was being swept towards a waterfall (in Forge of Fury). Anyone near the shore down stream had one chance to try and grab our ally before he went over the falls...except my fighter. I tried, failed, action surged, and succeeded on my second try!

What are some examples you can think of, and have you used Action Surge out of combat?

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
In my opinion, Action Surge can be used out of combat. Here is the text, "Starting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action."

It says actions and turns, but then spells say the same thing (and yes I can quote plenty of places in the Spells section which mentions turns and actions)...but everyone agrees you can cast spells outside of combat as well, right? So by that logic, there should be no rule against using action surge out of combat in the appropriate situation.

What is the appropriate situation? Any encounter or challenge out of combat with a time constraint involved where normally the DM would ask the PC for their action. In such cases, a Fighter should be able to choose an action (like a skill check) and then action surge to apply a second action (like another skill check).

So what are some examples of out of combat challenges where action surge could help?

Here are some of mine.

1) Party is scaling a wall or cliff to enter a building and doing it quickly is of concern because they don't want to be spotted by the roving guards. Where others can climb 15 feet in 6 seconds, the fighter could climb 30 feat with an action surge.
2) The party ducks into the Count's bedroom during the ball to search for a key, and they have moments before they must leave or be caught. Where others can make either an active perception check or an active investigation check in 6 seconds, you can do both with an action surge.
3) Any sneaking: Where others can move 15 feet when sneaking, the fighter can move 30.
4) Some persuasion checks can benefit from PC knowledge mid-conversation. When the DM says "You can make either a history or religion check to try and remember something quickly to help you persuade the priest you mean well" others must choose one of those checks but you can make both checks with an action surge.
5) Chase: Where others can dash once per six seconds away from or after someone you can dash twice.
6) Any situation involving a quick skill check. Normally when you blow a skill check in those time-sensitive situations, you're screwed...but not you, sometimes. You can blow a skill check and where appropriate spend an action surge and try it again or try an alternative skill check. Do you need to get into the room quick before the villian slays your friend? Attempt to pick the lock, and if that fails action surge to try and bash the door open with an athletics check.
7) [MENTION=6801204]Satyrn[/MENTION] mentioned a situation that happened to me as well. An ally fell in rapids and was being swept towards a waterfall (in Forge of Fury). Anyone near the shore down stream had one chance to try and grab our ally before he went over the falls...except my fighter. I tried, failed, action surged, and succeeded on my second try!

What are some examples you can think of, and have you used Action Surge out of combat?
As i recalk Sage has made it clear that "turns" do happen out of combat during regular time as well as in combat.

Imo too many folks interpret formatting and layout as rules but hey folks need to keep busy.

Mostly i saw action surges for a sprint ooc.

Mistwell

As i recalk Sage has made it clear that "turns" do happen out of combat during regular time as well as in combat.

Imo too many folks interpret formatting and layout as rules but hey folks need to keep busy.

Mostly i saw action surges for a sprint ooc.

Ah yes thank you! Crawford ruled on it. "The benefit of the Survivor feature happens at the start of each of your turns, whether those turns are inside or outside combat."

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I’m not really sure what an action surge looks like out of combat. It’s not that it can’t be done but I’m not sure what doing it looks like and how that differs from him not using the ability.

In general I’d say it can be used to save you time out of combat but defining more than that isn’t actually written.

Mistwell

I’m not really sure what an action surge looks like out of combat. It’s not that it can’t be done but I’m not sure what doing it looks like and how that differs from him not using the ability.

The 7 examples given didn't provide context to know what sorts of things we're talking about?

Sacrosanct

Legend

I frequently bring up one of my favorite PCs in fighter threads. In AD&D, he was a halfling f/t. When I converted him to 5e, he was a straight champion fighter with the criminal background and skulker feat, but I played him the same way.

Those items above? I've used them a lot.

Also, there have been times when it didn't go so well and i was detected and initiative was rolled, and I did things like steal from the chest anyway, and then attacked the mook (or ran away if the mook was too tough) using AS.

aco175

Legend
I agree with the examples based of things like athletics and even acrobatics. The description of AS says strenuous activity which I would be hard pressed to include things like negotiation, unless it is negotiation with a lightsaber.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
What [MENTION=6795602]FrogReaver[/MENTION] and [MENTION=27385]aco175[/MENTION] said. I'm sure that Action Surges can be used out of combat, they just aren't. A player won't normally want to "waste" the ability trying to force a door or climb over a wall or whatever, because they will want to hang on to that surge for whatever might be lurking behind it.

I'm sure our DM could engineer a very specific situation that might force a player to use an action surge out of combat, but it hasn't happened yet. (Or if it has, we have found other ways around it. We're pretty stingy with our per-rest abilities.)

Mistwell

The description of AS says strenuous activity

No it doesn't. I quoted the description above. It doesn't say anything about strenuous activity. It says you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment That's not strenuous activity. It can be intellectual or physical as the phrase "normal limits" applies fine to either.

Remove ads