D&D 5E Out of the Abyss - Alice in Wonderland? Or Reign of Fire

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Thanks! On a less flippant note, I think the tenuous Alice in Wonderland connection was just a marketing gimmick, derived from the fact that that OotA deals with madness and takes place in a location with a lot of mushrooms.
Well there’s bit of trippy stuff and some fanciful creature names, but it would have been fun if it had been Journey to the Center of the Earth. And the society of brilliance idea was decidedly unbrilliant in its execution.The underdark as a whole is a bit monotonous (and the madness affecting the various communities was very samey). All in all very dull.

pukunui

Legend
The Whorlstone Tunnels location in the Gracklstugh chapter is the only bit with an overt Alice theme. That’s where you can eat mushrooms to shrink or grow bigger. You also get there by following a derro with white displacer beast tentacles (rabbit ears) hanging from his hat.

MarkB

Legend
There’s very little that’s whimsical in OotA I’m afraid.
There are some reasonable touches of it, I think. Like the sidebar on playing Kuo-Toa, which plays up their eccentricities (I still love the idea that, since Kuo-Toa lack eyelids, and all Kuo-Toa sleepwalk, there's a reasonable chance that any individual Kuo-Toa you encounter around town is asleep).

And the fact that one entire section of the adventure is set in a town populated entirely by talking mushrooms. That's very Alice in Wonderland.

It’s a dark and dangerous world.
That much is certainly true, however.

I would second the Glabagool advice. My party absolutely loved that Gelatinous Cube.

Another thing to get back to the Alice in the tale would be to focus more on the non-combat encounters. More whimsy and madness and less murdering things.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I guess you can make OotA more "Wonderland," but I think you really have to make the villains more cartoon Looney Tunes characters to make it work. Less "I want to destroy the world, torture you to death, and eat your family," and more "Off with his head, he was mean to me!"

So the Drow can be more like the Evil Queen in Wonderland (evil and megalomaniac, but are easily flattered and will just kill you not torture you for fun), and the demons should be less murder-ey and more just crazy. So Fraz'U'Blu is a riddler who tries to trick and confuse you until you go insane, think Mysterio. Graz'zt is trying to make you fall in love with him and be his servant. Juublex is the same except he sings about how he loves eating. Yeenoghu is literally laughing all the time like the hyenas from lion king. Zuggtmoy is obsessed with being worshipped, like Pepe le Pu from Looney Tunes. Maybe cut Baphomet and Demogorgon entirely.

I mean, if your making this for kids, you gotta make the villains something kids are OK with fighting and not something that will traumatize them.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
So the Drow can be more like the Evil Queen in Wonderland (evil and megalomaniac, but are easily flattered and will just kill you not torture you for fun), and the demons should be less murder-ey and more just crazy. So Fraz'U'Blu is a riddler who tries to trick and confuse you until you go insane, think Mysterio. Graz'zt is trying to make you fall in love with him and be his servant. Juublex is the same except he sings about how he loves eating. Yeenoghu is literally laughing all the time like the hyenas from lion king. Zuggtmoy is obsessed with being worshipped, like Pepe le Pu from Looney Tunes. Maybe cut Baphomet and Demogorgon entirely.

This is a really great idea. The challenge for the PCs is trying to navigate past these strange creatures and their temptations. Perhaps each of the Demon Lords exhibits one of the 7 deadly sins (to give some thematic thread?) And their goal is not to kill the PCs but to simply tempt them into remaining with them in their lair.

Urriak Uruk

This is a really great idea. The challenge for the PCs is trying to navigate past these strange creatures and their temptations. Perhaps each of the Demon Lords exhibits one of the 7 deadly sins (to give some thematic thread?) And their goal is not to kill the PCs but to simply tempt them into remaining with them in their lair.

I'm actually going to break down this villains even more just for kicks;

- The Drow are cartoon fascists; think the Red Queen, Scar in the Lion King, the grasshoppers from Bug's Life. Their bad, and will kill you, their self-absorbed, think their superior. Clever and smart, but quick to underestimate you. But nothing more than that.

- Baphomet is the lord of the wild, pure wild abandon. He'll try to convince and show the players that rules and formality is for the weak and meek. Why eat your vegetables and say "please and thank you," when instead you can eat ice cream and make fun of those you don't like? He's an evil version of Baloo from the Jungle Book.

- Demogorgon is pure, unadaltured rage and temper tantrums. Not only are you right to feel angry, it's the anger that makes you strong, the rage that gives you power. You deserve your revenge. He's the classic Sith "hate leaves to the dark side, which leads to suffering," trope.

- Fraz-Urb'luu is here to trick you, solely because he enjoys it. He's your friend, he's your worst nightmare, he's constantly changing and filling your mind with doubt as to who is your friend and who is your foe. Sometimes he'll help you, sometimes he's leading you to your doom. Mixture of the Chesire Cat and Mysterio.

- Graz'zt is every negative trope about love; he's lustful and self-obsessed, and wants you to love him because he's the only one able to love you back just the way you need it. He's everything you want in a partner, except you've got to be totally devoted to him and no one else. Flips genders for whatever is necessary. He's every seductress trope wrapped into one.

- Juiblex loves to eat and consume. He should sing just to give him a little more whimsical, but his whole drive is greed for food, preferably candy and cake and everything nice.

- Orcus is a popularity hoarder, as he wants to be the center of attention. His way of doing that is raising a horde of skeletons and zombies, who all tell him how great he is. Either you got to get with the program and tell him how good he is, or there's something wrong with you. If there is, you need to die and get raised back to be "fixed." Regina from Mean Girls.

- Yeenoghu is a the king of laughs, always thinking he's funnier than he is but having a joke and pun primed for every occasion. Watching people get hurt is of course the highest form of comedy, and the more chaos there is the funnier the world. This is the Mark Hamill Joker.

- Zuggtmoy is a clinging, nitpicky mother. She knows best, and if you disagree you need your mind wiped clean for your own safety. Everyone just needs to slow down, breath the spores deeply, and good old Zuggtmoy will take care of it. She's the snake from the Jungle Book, mixed with bad-mom vibes.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
- Zuggtmoy is a clinging, nitpicky mother. She knows best, and if you disagree you need your mind wiped clean for your own safety. Everyone just needs to slow down, breath the spores deeply, and good old Zuggtmoy will take care of it. She's the snake from the Jungle Book, mixed with bad-mom vibes.
I’d tweak this to be “helicopter parent” from hell, so it’s not so gendered, but all in all super stuff.

Now what are the associated adventures? Each of these must have a quest or something that, if the PCs succeed, will grant their freedom (just kidding!). :) Something OotA suffers from is the sameness of the effects of demon madness on the populations.

Urriak Uruk

Now what are the associated adventures? Each of these must have a quest or something that, if the PCs succeed, will grant their freedom (just kidding!). :) Something OotA suffers from is the sameness of the effects of demon madness on the populations.

That's more work than I'm willing to put in a forum comment, so I'd leave that to the OP if he's up for it.

Remove ads