D&D 5E Out of the Abyss - Alice in Wonderland? Or Reign of Fire

jedijon

Explorer
Having taken players in our group through the reveal of [spoilers follow] Demogorgon (or from their perspective a barely glimpsed monster associated with brief bouts of madness they experienced), I'm left to wonder how much actual Alice in Wonderland is in here.

Chris Perkins' actual reference to Lewis Carol's works is that there's a bad guy in here that's as crazy as the Red Queen in Alice in Wonderland. The association to that work, however, is oft played up. In my pre-purchase research I came across frequent references to crazy travelling companions and the strange surroundings of the Underdark. Then while doing some DM homework, it appears there's an upcoming portion where the characters shrink themselves.

What this adventure arc appears to be from the highest level is the heroes are on the run from their captors operating under the belief that if they can just get back to the surface they will finally be safe. This is underpinned by close calls and making every place they go horrible / knowing that their pursuers are just about to catch up. Although they've never been down here before, it's critical to portray that things aren't right--which is why there's a bunch of NPCs there to tell the players that.

Once out in the sunshine they're summoned by a King who has been watching them somehow. He says that things are terrible down there and they gotta go stop it. The players, who just want to leave, now have to go back. Which is cool because they're now buffed up army leaders and can tell the kings goons to go into the badness for them while they watch. Not long after, a new person says to them that the way to stop the badness is to get all the bad guys in a room and let them beat themselves up. And this is not a stupid plan because they're beings from other planes of existence and without this type of really drastic stuff they'll all just be back tomorrow. Of course, coming into our plane to mess it up is pretty much these folks raison d'être, so.

Now, in the movie Reign of Fire, that's pretty much what's happening. Early - we see the threat. It's too big to kill! Then, we run run run and hide. But, after some suffering, there's an audacious idea that will create a permanent triumph. Of course, the main beauty of that movie is that people are having power struggles not just about who gets to be on camera the most as per most films but about when the tomatoes are ripe. All their Almanacs had burned up previously and now they have to drive a jeep past a sleeping dragon just to spot that ripe red fruit.

So, awful stuff. Stupid plan that works. Check.

But I want Alice.

Why? Well, I'm DM'ing this for an 8 and a 11 year old. I want self-absorbed playing cards. Talking rabbits. Not sure what D&D tropes are being parodied here--we've got the standard save the world schtick, everybody wants to arrest/enslave/stop us. So, after some partly successful side-stepping around the Kuo Toa ritual sacrific...I'm pausing. For good ideas. Things that are fun, lighthearted, and hopefully result in a rational motivation for the players. See, even for the madness element--there's seeing stuff that isn't there [red peach on a table] and there's seeing stuff that isn't there [flayed skeletons dripping ichor]. But there does need to be some alternatives for human/fishman sacrifice. Like a talking caterpillar.

MarkB

Legend
Let me recommend Glabbagool, the sentient gelatinous cube.

Glabbagool.png

Play him with a childlike innocence and sense of wonder, with an undertone of sadness that he can never touch anyone without hurting them, alongside a bit of dark humour about how lovely and charming and delicious his travelling companions are, and you'll be able to capture some of that Alice sensibility.

Nebulous

Legend
No disrespect, but isn't this adventure a little long and intense for an 8 and 11 year old? I think you could just sample portions of it, and play up the funny bits, like the sentient gelatinous cube. If you don't want to horrify the 8 year old, then yeah, you'll need to swap in talking caterpillars and white bunnies with a chain watch.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
But I want Alice.

Why? Well, I'm DM'ing this for an 8 and a 11 year old. I want self-absorbed playing cards. Talking rabbits. Not sure what D&D tropes are being parodied here--we've got the standard save the world schtick, everybody wants to arrest/enslave/stop us. So, after some partly successful side-stepping around the Kuo Toa ritual sacrific...I'm pausing. For good ideas. Things that are fun, lighthearted, and hopefully result in a rational motivation for the players. See, even for the madness element--there's seeing stuff that isn't there [red peach on a table] and there's seeing stuff that isn't there [flayed skeletons dripping ichor]. But there does need to be some alternatives for human/fishman sacrifice. Like a talking caterpillar.

If you really want to play the actual 'Alice In Wonderland' story with your kids...

EX1 DUNGEONLAND - Available on DMs Guild

and if you want it set up for 5E right off the bat rather than converting it yourself...

5E CONVERSION OF DUNGEONLAND

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
They keep making these kinds of literary references (Storm King’s Thunder was supposed to be inspired by King Lear) but it’s really just the barest hint in the end. There’s very little that’s whimsical in OotA I’m afraid. It’s a dark and dangerous world. I think you need to stop running it and starting brewing up your own story that will appeal to the kids.

Good luck!

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
I'm having a hard time imagining any of the WotC adventure paths are really appropriate for 8-11 year olds. Too many attention problems, turning left instead of right, general grimness and setbacks. My 8 year old certainly doesn't have the maturity for the full 5E experience yet (power fantasies are stronger than interest in narrative; alternating between wild aggression and instantly running away; etc.)

Things like Tiny Dungeon are way better for what it looks like you want to do with the kids. They let you bring in more of the whimsy without doing loads of work the kids are probably not going to notice/care about. Just sort of follow the (Alice) book and always put the next place in front of the kids no matter which direction they go.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Unfortunately (IMHO), the pop-culture perception of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass has been warped by things like American McGee and the Tim Burton movies. A lot of people who haven't actually read the books, or haven't read them since childhood, think they're a lot darker and more sinister than they really are. Since these are my favorite children's books, this pains me greatly.

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
Let's not forget that Alice in Wonderland is about dressing up really odd and interesting bits of advanced mathematics in a children's story. Then read by people who are more likely to come up with these things because of... chemistry...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases