D&D 5E Out of the Abyss + Basic Rules?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Heh heh... is there anyone left at this point who hasn't opened their wallets?

I would like to talk to the player who has bought Out of The Abyss but not bought the Monster Manual at this point. What exactly was their reasoning behind this, now 6 years later?

dave2008

Legend
Was there ever a resolution to this?

If not an update, maybe a message confirming that earlier promises wouldn't be kept?

(Not asking about conversion guides. It was clear from the start 5E was sufficiently different from earlier editions that would just not be helpful.)
I am pretty sure a conversion guide was provided at one point, not sure about what else your asking for.

EDIT: Yep, here it is: 5e Conversion Guide

PS, this was made back in 2015.

PPS, the free basic rules where also updated in 2018 (last update): 5e Basic Rules

And of course the SRD was issued in 2016: D&D SRD 5.1

Last edited:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I am pretty sure a conversion guide was provided at one point, not sure about what else your asking for.
Originally, it was stated that each major release would be a possible entry point to D&D and it would be playable with just the Basic Rules. Obviously, they changed their mind quite early.

dave2008

Legend
Originally, it was stated that each major release would be a possible entry point to D&D and it would be playable with just the Basic Rules. Obviously, they changed their mind quite early.
OK, I personally never expected anything like that (nor do I remember that being a goal), but you can get pretty far with the basic rules and SRD.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
OK, I personally never expected anything like that (nor do I remember that being a goal), but you can get pretty far with the basic rules and SRD.
I agree with you, I was not surprised by the change in strategy and, as you say, there's quite a lot in the Basic + SRD free combo.

dave2008

Legend
The cheapskate option was probably intended as a plan B if 5E didn't do well. Since it very early became clear it was a success, there's just no reason to continue supporting the "free tier" - WotC clearly understand they don't need those players (or, more likely, can wait until peer pressure forces them to open their wallets)
I never expected them to support a free tier, but they did update the basic rules in 2018. So they have kept the support to some degree after the initial release.

The interesting question, IMO, is whether or not the basic rules will be updated in 2024 when the core rulebooks are updated.

dave2008

Legend
Was there ever a resolution to this?

If not an update, maybe a message confirming that earlier promises wouldn't be kept?

(Not asking about conversion guides. It was clear from the start 5E was sufficiently different from earlier editions that would just not be helpful.)
PS - It is generally poor form to necro your own thread! :p

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I have to imagine no one at Wizards just ever received any emails or requests for monster statblocks that were in the adventure paths but not in the Basic Rules after a certain point. Because there was no one left that were buying the adventure paths without ever buying the Monster Manual. Putting a small guide together and releasing it would just end up being a waste of time.

Remove ads