D&D 5E Out of the Abyss but using companions and fear and stress rules.

darjr

I crit!
I want to run Out of the Abyss again, but this time use the new Ravenloft rules instead of the DMG madness rules, and the companion rules from Tasha’s. Give each player one of the NPCs including their secret and let the players run them.

darjr

I crit!
I’m wondering if I should customize them to fit the original NPCs better.

Also it occurs to me that nerfing the companions like this would allow me to scale down that first encounter area. Win win!

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I’m wondering if I should customize them to fit the original NPCs better.

Also it occurs to me that nerfing the companions like this would allow me to scale down that first encounter area. Win win!

I think you could take their base stat block and add a level of Sidekick, like it was supposed to be in the UA sidekick. Use the sidekick HD instead of the creature's.

akr71

Hero
I'm currently running OotA & I do think there are too many NPC followers. So may that the party didn't interact with them unless I initiated something. I gradually weeded them out and we are finally down to just 1.

I'll eventually let the players know that they missed a bunch of content because they didn't bother to interact with any of the followers.

Democratus

Adventurer
For ultra-hardcore mode, just run Call of Cthulhu rules for OotA.

"After leaving your accounting job for the night, you are kidnapped and taken to the center of the earth. Make a sanity check as you see the inhuman monsters in the cell with you."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases