"Out of the Frying Pan" - Book I: Gathering Wood (reprise)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Session #11 (part II)

The great doors of North Fork Wall were opened, and Crumb led the way through the dark passage that led to a another set of great doors. Ratchis and the others eyes the murder holes on either side of them anxiously, and Jeremy looked up to note a grate above their heads where any sort of something could easily have been poured atop them as they passed through. Once the whole group was crammed into that small space the outer doors were closed and the inner doors were opened, revealing a small village beyond them.

Crumb’s boys stopped just beyond the doors, to see that the village seemed abuzz with activity. To their left was a guardhouse, with bright lights and the sounds of music and festivities could be heard from within.

A man dressed in party attire, but with a long sword at his belt approached from the direction of the guardhouse, followed by six guards in ringmail, armed with spears.

The man spoke quietly with Crumb for a few moments and then addressed the group.

“I am Captain Hoss Izold,” he said. “Welcome to Northfork Wall. You are the last group to come through, so I am certain they are eagerly expecting you at Gothanius Castle. You are our guests here, but please remember that infractions of the law will not be tolerated. My men will show you to your campsite, but if you will excuse me, I want to rejoin my men in celebrating the High Holiday of Bast. (80) I know most of you must be exhausted, but there is celebrating also going on at The Golden Lantern, so feel free to join in.”

Two guards led Crumb’s Boys further into the village, which was set between two tall cliffs of stone. As they walked, Kazrack noticed what looked like a construction site covered in a huge tarp. Three heavily armed and armored dwarves seemed to be guarding it.

Camp was set up just beneath one of the cliffs on the east side of the village, but the place was so small the very center of it could be seen. There stood The Golden Lantern, which was painted a bright gold and was hung with ribbons and paper-lanterns. Music and merry-making could be heard from inside.
Ratchis and Jana examined Stefan’s foot again, and both came to the conclusion that he was going to have some toes amputated to save the rest of the foot. They agreed to wait until morning.
Chance and Jeremy headed out for The Golden Lantern, and walked into the festive little building to find it full of off-duty guards drinking and singing in merriment. A young pretty girl was serving drinks to the happy men. She had long straw-like red hair, and dash of freckles across her nose.

“Ah new-comers!” greeted the barkeep, “My name’s Balfus, but people round here call me ‘Sarge’ or ‘Old-Timer’. Feel free to do the same. Get yourself some food and have a seat and my lil’ Sally will be over to serve you in a minute.”

The bar was covered with a spread of breads, meats, cheeses and gravies. A large urn was set out and was partially filled with coins. Chance and Jeremy threw in some coins and grabbed some food.

They drank for a bit, Chance merely having ale after ale, and not saying a word despite the festive atmosphere. He took unenthusiastic bites at his meat and cheese.

However, then Kazrack came in and the place fell silent. The two-dozen faces of the off-duty and drunken guards in mid-revelry turned to the dwarf and fell upon him like a weight. There was a pregnant pause, and then the bar-keep spoke up.

“My, my, not often we get one of stone folk in here,” he said, waving Kazrack in. “In fact, despite that some be living right here in our town, I don’t think any ever have. But, welcome, welcome, I’ll have Sally send you over an ale.”

The guards went back to their revelries, and Kazrack grabbed some food and joined his companions.

Sally came over with a tray full of ales, and placed one down in front of each of them.

“Bast bless you on this fine evening,” she said, batting her eyes at Jeremy. “What brings you into town? Are you here with one of those groups of dragon-hunters? I thought they had all already passed through.”

“We just arrived tonight,” Jeremy replied, slipping two copper coins in her apron pocket with a wink. “We are part of a group going up to answer the call for dragon-hunters.”

“Wow, really?” Sally replied, with a smile. “When I have a free moment, I’ll have to come by and have you tell me all about it.”
She moved among the tables to collect empty plates and mugs, and they could tell that all the guards treated her with sisterly affection.

The three companions drank and ate quietly, just taking in the joy of the guards around them, when suddenly the door opened again and there was an even heavier silence.

Ratchis stood there in the doorway, Jana’s tiny form just barely visible peering from behind the hulking and ugly man. A few grumblings of displeasure could be heard from among the guards, especially some of the drunken ones.

“What the hell is a razza-frazzin’ pig-fragger doin’ in here?” the slurred voices could be heard to say.

“We don’t want any trouble,” Ratchis said, taking a step back out through the door.

“No, no, come on in,” the barkeep said in an obviously forced tone. “All the dragon-hunters are welcome here. Pay up a donation and have something to eat.”

The murmurings died down as Ratchis and Jana walked in. The companions ate and drank their fill and all left large donations in the urn. The guards began to make their way out about an hour later, some hefted out of their seats and out the door hanging on the shoulders of friends, mumbling drunkenly.

Ratchis left the inn, as the last of the food was being put away and Jana left with him. Chance got up and stumbled to the back door to use the outhouse. When it had been a while and he did not return Kazrack bid Jeremy goodnight and went out to see if the Wallbrookian gambler was okay and if he needed help getting back to camp.

Kazrack approached the door to the outhouse and knocked, “Chance? You in there?”

There was no reply, but the dwarf got the sense that someone was in there. He listened. A very soft and distinct sound of sobbing could be heard from within. Kazrack listen more closely and could hear Chance murmuring, “Argh, it’s all me fault! It’s all me fault Kamir is dead. Ahm sorry! It shoulda bin meh. It was me turn ta go.”

Kazrack knocked again, “Chance?”

“Gah away!” Chance managed to choke out through his tears. “Gah tha bluddy `ell away!”

The sobbing continued, louder now.

“Chance? What’s the matter, Chance?” Kazrack asked.

He sobbed some more, followed by the retching sound of his vomiting.

Kazrack took a deep breath, and then spoke in measured and comforting tones, “You know Chance, it’s a good thing I found you alone, because there has been something I have been hoping to talk to you about.”

“Whu-wh-whut are ya talkin’ `bout?” Chance said, through snorts of his runny nose.

“Well, I have been feeling bad for a long time about Malcolm,” said Kazrack.

“Malcolm?” Chance sniffled. ”Why?”

“You see, I feel guilty about his death,” Kazrack explained patiently. “I sent him after Jeremy by himself and he died.”
“Why are you telling me this?” Chance asked through the door, through lessening sobs.

“I just needed someone to tell that I feel guilty,” said Kazrack.

“But ya had nothin’ ta do with his dyin’” Chance said. “He wuz crazeh. He woulda run inta some fight `ventually and died anyways.”

“So you are saying that I couldn’t have known what was going to happen to him?” Kazrack asked.

Of carse not! It’s not like me case!” Chance cried. “It’s all me fault. Can’t ya see? It’s me fault Kamir is dead. Ah as good ahs kilt him.”

“But it just like me and Malcolm, Chance,” Kazrack said soothingly, and slowly opening the door to see Chance sprawled on the floor, his head over the vomit covered seat over the waste hole.

“Everyone has done things they would have done differently, or that that are not proud of,” Kazrack continued. “You are only responsible for being irresponsible, and now you know better, right?”

Chance snorted a bunch of snot back up his nose.

“I mean, if you had to do it again, you would do it differently, right?” the dwarf asked.

“Oh yes, oh bluddy yes,” Chance cried. “Ahm sorry, Kamir! Ahm sorry! Ahd change places with ya, I would, ahm sorry!” And with that he leaned forward and puked a steady stream of what smelled to Kazrack like pure ale mixed with bile.

Kazrack hefted the lanky lad on to his shoulders and carried him back to camp.

Meanwhile, all the soldiers where gone, and Sally had sat down with a very tipsy Jeremy while she was supposed to be cleaning up. Her father was in the kitchen, cleaning in there.
“So you are one of the dragon-hunters?” she asked, all moon-eyed.

“Well, I don’t like to brag, but most of the others are just kids really, don’t really know what they are getting into. I, on the other hand, know a thing or two,” Jeremy said, with nary a slur, but with all his concentration. “Uh, and my immediate companions as well, they are a stalwart lot, under my leadership, of course.”
“Have you faced many dragons before?” she asked, leaning in.
“Well, to tell you the truth most tales of dragons are exaggerated. There aren’t nearly that many in the world, if any left. Experienced adventurers like me know this kind of stuff,” Jeremy explained, thinking this sounded pretty good and reasonable.

“Wow, you sure do seem to know a lot. I’d like to learn more, but I have to finish cleaning up now, or father will chastise me,” Sally said, getting up. “I have to get to work now, but if you want I’ll probably have an hour or two free tomorrow afternoon if you want to come see me.”

“That’s be nice,” Jeremy said, with a sleepy smile. He motioned to get up, and Sally left the common room, but he settled back into his seat and laying his head on the table fell right back to sleep.
Jeremy was not sure how long had passed when he heard the barkeep’s voice yell, “Hey! We’re closed! Wake up!”

“Uh, yes, I was just going…” Jeremy stumbled back to camp and slept.

Teflem, 6th of Syet – 564 H.E.

Early the next morning, the camp began to stir, but then many went back to sleep when they realized they were in a safe place and that today would be a day of rest and not travel. While Chance and Jeremy remained asleep in the tent they once shared with Malcolm and Kamir, Jana and Ratchis went to find Stefan who had not slept much due to his pain.

Kazrack went over to the closed down construction area to visit the dwarves he had seen the night before. He spoke with the guards, who were representatives of the Nauglimir Dwarven Merchant Consortium, set to guard the site of the future safehouse until construction could continue in the spring. He asked if they had heard of a rune-thrower called Bellear Gritchkar, (81) but they said they knew of no other dwarves in Gothanius aside from the six stationed here. Kazrack also asked about help repairing his armor, and they pointed him towards the Northfork Wall guardhouse, where they said the town guard has a reasonably sized smithy to deal with the large number of soldiers here.

Kazrack was able to arrange for several hours of time to work in the smithy, and returned to camp to tell the others and see if anyone else’s armor needed mending.

Ratchis has heated his knife, and Jana readied to cauterize the wound right way when the toes were removed. Stefan’s brother, Anthony, held his hand, while the young man bit down on a piece of wood. A mid-morning meal of porridge, apples and bread was being distributed, and the companions took some and sat among the fires, when Crumb gathered everyone together.
“There is someone important that wants to address you all,” Crumb told the group.

A middle-aged man, with curly dark brown hair, a well-trimmed beard and a medium build stepped before Crumb’s Boys. He wore what were obviously finely cut clothing and a cape of pristine white fur.

“Greetings!” the man said. “I am Leonor Bozell, alderman of this fine village of Northfork Wall.” The man began to pace back and forth before the group, occasionally making eye contact with one of Crumb’s boys or another. “I want to welcome you all and thank you all for answering the call of the king in this our time of great need. As you all know, we are not just in need of heroes who slay dragons, but great men can also be measured by their peaceful endeavors. Yes, you all will go off to a very dangerous undertaking, but when you return you will all be offered land and resources to use for the benefit of both yourselves and the kingdom, and I just want to be the first to offer you such a place. While Northfork Wall may not seem like much now, with the coming road and the trade agreement with the stonefolk, Northfork Wall will be the gateway to wealth for the kingdom. We have lands available for shepherds, and even some for farmers, and a need for craftsman of all kinds and officers in the standing army that guards our borders and has their headquarters here in Northfork Wall. So, basically what I wanted to tell you all is to keep us in mind. With your help and the help of strong young backs and minds like yours our fine village can grow into something all of Gothanius can wonder at and be proud of. I hope to see at least some of you here again when this whole situation has been taken care of.”

Bozell stopped pacing, “Thank you for your time.”

Crumb’s Boys just sat not knowing how to react, “What was that about?” Guisel asked Finn.

“Politicians, all the same,” was all Finn said.

Kazrack collected armor from Ratchis and Beorth and headed back to the guardhouse, accompanied by Beorth, who came along to help him.

The rest of the day passed by uneventfully. Kazrack worked diligently all day, and showed something of what he was doing to Beorth. Ratchis stopped by, but the master-smith insisted that Kazrack could have no more than one person in there with him at a time, and made it clear that he did not want that person to be a half-orc.

Jeremy did not go and see Sally.

Late that evening, when others were getting ready to bed down and conserve their energy for the last leg of their journey the next day, Jana went out to a secluded spot far from camp and prying eyes. There she placed the small wolf’s skull she had snatched from the goblin shaman what seemed like so long ago on the ground, and cut her hand. She squeezed blood onto a chicken bone and drew a circle in the ground (which she had cleared of snow) and began her chanting that slowly drew her into a trance, reaching out for the being the token summoned. However, in the end her attempt failed, and picking up the skull, she covered the spot back over with snow, and bandaged her bloody hand.

Anulem, 7th of Syet – 564 H.E.

The next morning Crumb’s Boys packed up what was left of their gear and began a more leisurely march towards Twelve Trolls, (82) the capitol of the Kingdom of Gothanius. Stefan was left behind under the care of a local healer, as he was in no shape to travel, and Anthony was sad to leave his brother behind.

The road to Twelve Trolls was smoothed mountain stone in many place, probably carved into the rocky outcroppings here by years of running water. But unlike most of this group’s journey to Gothanius, they could now see houses intermittently dotting the hills to the left and right, some with some remaining green visible from beneath melting snow of the warming day, but most being a blurred mix of white, gray and brown.

There was a brief stop after 3 hours of marching for a snack, but then they continued, new energy filling all of them.

They came over an embankment after another couple of hours of marching and before them was revealed a very small town of earthen buildings tucked into plateau on the edge of this mountain, across a broad natural stone bridge that crossed a deep chasm, stood a old fort upon another peak, the tightly packed peaks of the area creating its moat.

There was a murmuring among Crumb’s Boys, when he looked back from atop his mule and said, “Welcome to Twelve Trolls, capitol of Gothanius.”

“We’ve come all this way to come here?” Jeremy protested.

Resigning themselves to their fate, the continued on and passed right up the center of town. The people of Twelve Trolls stopped in the streets and some waved to them and other called a greeting, but most were silent and looked haggard and tired themselves. The place was hardly bigger than Stonebridge had been, and definitely much smaller than Cutter Jack’s. (83)

They passed out the other side of town, and began to cross the open stone bridge towards the fort. Narrower stone paths could be seen to go down into the chasm at right angles to the bridge where it branched from the plateau. They came to the great gate, and Kazrack took the place in.

The fort looked as if the few years (in his people’s view) that it existed had been rough on it. The stones looked worn, and ill-fitting in places. One whole section of wall looked as if it had been rebuilt with a different kind of stone. The rebuilt section looked like it might even be of better construction, however was certain that one of the towers was askew.

Kazrack was pulled from his reflection and examinations, but the sound of the great gate opening. Crumb had called up to the soldiers lining the walls and they had replied.

The marched into the courtyard, and could see a fine building in poor repair beyond a bunch of smaller buildings that marked the border of what looked like a pretty large garden that was criss-crossed with paths.

Over a score of soldiers stood on either side of Crumb’s Boys as they marched in.

“Line up in rows of five for inspection!” a gruff voice called out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes

(80) Bast is the Cat Goddess, revered as a goddess of revelry, comfort, leisure and wealth, she is most popular among the rich and noble, but her holiday is celebrated by everyone as an excuse to be festive. On this day, cats (which are her holy animal) are fed and cared-for. Harming cats is considered a treacherous act in many Aquerran cultures, as those blessed by Bast are said to return in the form of these animals pampered by the rich.

(81) See Session #10

(82) Twelve Trolls is named for the famous Battle of the Twelve Trolls during the Mountain Wars when the Kingdom of Herman Land tried to conquer Derome-Delem.

(83) The party arrived in Cutter Jack’s in Session #3 and in Stonebridge in Session #7.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
So there you have it. . .

The Conclusion (kind of). . .

The Confusing Beginning of Book II can be reached by clicking HERE.

And I want to thank everyone who came here for the first time and read (I envy you devouring Book II all at once :D), and all of you who came back to read again.

As I said before - I encourage all comments and questions. :)

Last edited:

Phorck

First Post
Great story so far nemmerle, I look forward to reading book 2. One question though, why does Jana owe Markle a favor again? I can't seem to remember at all.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
This has not yet been revealed - but you can bet it has something to do with the secret conversation they had in her tent that night that Jeremy tried to overhear.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
BUMP

This is just a bump for those who were not around this weekend and did not get a chance to see that the conclusion had been posted.

Remove ads