"Out of the Frying Pan" - Book II: Catching the Spark (Part Two) - {complete}

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Maxelin!

Thanks for stopping by! I have been very busy with my entry to the WotC Setting contest, my own campaign, work and a social life and have been unable to update this for over a week - but plan to at least conclude Session #30 very soon (wait to you all find out what Thomas has been up to! :D)

Anyway, Max, I hope to see more comments from you (and from everyone else who has been secretly reading along) - Did you download the story from the new ENworld story hour page, or have you been reading with us here on the thread?

Malexin

First Post
I downloaded it of the Story Hour page. That made it much more convenient for me to read. Reading your story hour made me want to get off my keister and turn my campaign notes into a story hour. And that's just what I need another iron in the fire.
Maybe if I find some free time to put it on the boards you could stop by and read it.

Any way back to your story hour. You had asked who everyone's favorite characters were, well my favorite is Beorth.

By the way what level is the party as of session 30?

Good luck to you on your entry in WotC's contest.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Malexin said:

By the way what level is the party as of session 30?

Actually, Jana, Jeremy and Beorth all went up to 5th level at the end of session #29.

That makes everyone 5th level at this point, except Martin the Green (who is still 4th)

I plan to update the party stats in the "Out of the Frying Pan" Rogue's Gallery thread sometime this weekend.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Session #30 (part IV)

Beorth, Jana and Martin began to march deeper into the wood, along the narrow path out of the opposite end of the camp. Despite the bright morning sun, the tall trees cast deep shadows across their path, giving everything a gray pallor.

They walked for nearly two miles, going up and down gentle slopes, and blazing a trail in virgin snow, and walking where no human had ever set foot before. The tops of the trees sparkled in the gloom, as the light of Ra’s Glory shone through the melting icicles.

Suddenly, Martin sensed his familiar within the range of their telepathic communication.

“Thomas! Where are you?” Martin called, mentally.

“I am not far,” the familiar replied, casually. “I am ahead of you. I can smell you on the wind.”

“Are you okay?” the Watch-mage asked nervously.

“Oh, just fine,” Thomas replied, as if nothing were out of the ordinary.

“We’re on our way,” Martin said, and then turned to his two companions. “Thomas is close by. He said he is fine and we should be coming upon him soon.”

“Does he have the amulet?” Beorth asked.

“Thomas, do you have something that belongs to Beorth?” Martin asked, sending his thoughts out to his familiar once again.

“Why would I have something of his?” Thomas replied.

The three companions walked on, following the narrow trail through the tall trees. As they came up a hill, they could see the tall wall of thorns in the distance up ahead and to left. They came down that hill and began to climb another, when Thomas dropped out of a tree and onto Martin’s shoulder.

“Excuse me for a minute while I converse with Thomas,” Martin said to Jana and Beorth awkwardly.

“Where did you go?” Martin asked.

“Somewhere,” Thomas replied, cryptically.

“Where?”

“I had to go do something,” the squirrel chittered.

“What did you have to do?”

“I can’t tell you,” Thomas said, curling into a ball in the hood of Martin’s cloak.

“This isn’t any of that familiar’s guild stuff, is it?” Martin asked, annoyed.

“Familiar’s Guild?” Thomas sat up and sniffed confusedly. “Oh… No, not at all.”

“Then what is it?” Martin asked, becoming exasperated.

“`e said I can’t say,” Thomas meeped.

“He?” Martin asked, growing curiouser.

“What?” replied the squirrel.

“He who?”

“He who who?”

“You said ‘he’,” Martin insisted.

“No, I didn’t.”

“Yes, you did!”

“No, I didn’t!”

“Well, why did you leave me behind?” Martin asked, changing tack.

“I had to,” Thomas replied, sounding sad suddenly.

“I take you everywhere with me,” Martin said, whining slightly for effect.

“If you had to leave me behind because of Academy business, you would,” Thomas replied matter-of-factly.

“So, this is more important then me?” Martin asked.

“Well… yes, kind of…”

“What is he saying?’ Beorth asked, trying not to lose his patience. A cold wind blew through the narrow corridor of trees. In the distance they heard the clatter of icicles tumbling from the tops of trees. Jana shivered.

“He is being difficult,” Martin responded through chattering teeth. “He mentioned a “he”, which makes me think someone put him up to this.”

“It was the golden ram,” Beorth replied.

Martin turned to the paladin of Anubis. “How do you know?”

“Look!” Beorth pointed to the bottom of the hill to their right. Martin saw a large golden from striding confidently through a narrow path in the thick wall of thorns and out to a rocky forest that stretched beyond their sight.

“What are you looking at?” Jana asked.

“You don’t see it?” Beorth asked, his breath taken away by the sight of the thing under the light of the day.

“It’s beautiful,” Martin said, in an awe-filled voice.

“No,” Jana replied.

“I am sure it has the necklace,” Beorth said. “Or is leading us to who has it. We must follow.”

“I haven’t finished questioning Thomas,” Martin said.

“Talk as we walk,” Beorth said, beginning to do that as he said it. “I do not want to risk losing sight of it.”

As if Beorth’s voice was filled with some new authority, Martin and Jana fell in step behind him and began to march along the narrow path piercing the thorn wall.

“Yep, this is the right way,” Thomas said. “You know these woods would be a lot better without all those thorns and those creepy gnolls and stuff.”

“Thomas, did you take the necklace from Beorth’s pocket?” Martin asked his familiar.

“Of course not!” Thomas said, sounding insulted. “That would be stealing! And plus I’m too heavy. He’d have noticed me on his chest. The lizard was the one that actually took it from him. I just took it from there to…”

Thomas buried his mouth under his little paw.

“The lizard?” Martin raised an eyebrow.

Thomas was silent.

“Jana?” Martin said. “Thomas is saying your familiar took it from Beorth.”

Jana’s eyes narrowed, and she focused her attention to her own familiar, the rarely seen lizard tucked tightly under the young witch’s armpit for maximum warmth.

“What’s that about your stealing an amulet from Beorth, Ess’skells?”

“It’s cold,” Ess’skells replied, in her long and languid hiss of a voice.

“Yes, it’s cold,” Jana replied. “Now why did you take the amulet?”

“I don’t like mammals,” the lizard replied. “Present company excluded.”

“It’s okay to admit if you were controlled,” Jana began.

“No one controls me!” her familiar hissed angrily.

“Maybe they were controlled,” Jana suggested to Martin, ignoring Ess’skells.

“Thomas didn’t sound controlled,” Martin said. “He sounded like he agreed to it.”

“Well, both familiars were in on it,” Jana said.

“Maybe there is a beast god of squirrels out there,” Martin mused, half-smiling.

“Why did you take the amulet?” Jana asked her familiar, returning her thoughts to the lizard.

“I was asked to,” was the reply.

“Someone asks you to steal something from the group and you just do it?”

“I was bored!” Ess’skells replied. “Maybe if you gave me something to do every once in a while.”

“You complain that’s cold, so I keep you where you are warm, and then you complain about that too!” Jana snapped. “But if there is anything you can ever think of doing just let me know and I’ll let yo udo it.”

“I’m cold. Tired. Want to sleep,” Ess’skells replied, lazily.

Jana sighed.

They walked around a smaller hill, the thorns winding through a thick patch of trees. Soon, they’d be outside of the confines of the druid’s forest.

“Are you mad at me?” Thomas asked Martin, carefully.

“No,: Martin replied. “I trust you, so I am not mad. I was just worried about you. I thought you might be eaten or something. That is part of why I want you to learn to read, that way you can leave me messages.”

“I’m sorry,” Thomas said, sadly.

“It’s okay,” Martin said, scratching the squirrel under the chin. “Tonight I’ll teach you how to read the word for ‘nut’”

“No, not nut,” Thomas replied. “I don’t want to think about nuts. I tried eating one even though I wasn’t hungry, and it was terrible!”

Martin pet him some more.

Finally, they came out the other end of the wall of thorns, near to where it turned left and extended outward fro quite some ways.

The area beyond was less heavily forested, with deep snow banks built up around lone trees. Beorth stepped forward, and Jana and Martin followed together.

There was another gust of wind, and the frosted thorn crackled up and down the wall. Martin leapt back, as Beorth stopped. Before them, hanging from a low tree branch was the partially burned naked corpse of a man. It swung back and forth in the wind.

“How did…” Martin never finished his question.

Three large humanoid forms leapt from behind the trees at them, coming around their right sides towards Beorth and Martin. They were over six feet tall, and had long coarse brown hair all over their bodies, large black eyes and bear-like ears, but their faces bore the pug-like qualities of a goblin. They were wielding javelins, and had crude spiked clubs at their sides.

They were bugbears. They growled and hooted in their guttural goblin tongue.

Martin got over his surprise immediately and blowing a handful of sand outward, said, “Somnare!

One of the bugbears collapsed in a snoring heap, while another cast his javelin into Beorth’s side. The paladin’s splint mail rung out brightly, echoed by his grunt. Martin flinched back, being able to slap the javelin thrown at him away, receiving a minor scratch on his forearm.

Beorth drew his long sword, and silently charged the bugbear that had assaulted him. The hairy goblin ducked under the blow and came back up, stepping back and shoving his hands out to try to throw the paladin off balance. Beorth swung around to make a second attempt, but the bugbear already had his morning star out and parried the blow with a snarl.

Kikanass!” Jana cried, and the bugbear that had tossed a javelin at Martin, stumbled backward, bringing his hands to his eyes. He was blind. He stepped backward, placing his back to a tree and pulled his own spiked club.

Imago distortus,” Martin mumbled, and his visage became blurred.

Beorth blocked a blow from his bugbear opponent and riposted, cutting it deep in right thigh.

“Farazan kar tarna-ke!” the bugbear cursed.

Kikanass!” Jana cried again approaching Beorth, and this time the bugbear fighting Beorth cried out in surprise as his world darkened.

Martin drew and loaded his crossbow, while Beorth’s opponent stepped away from combat However, the paladin did not get a moment’s rest as two more bugbears emerged from the trees charging at him and the young witch with their morning stars. Beorth grunted as her felt another blow clang against his armor, and Jana nearly fell and a spike from one of the clubs impaled itself in her shoulder and tore back out again. The bugbear attacking Jana wore a chain shirt, and a hardened leather cap. The top half of his body was dyed black.

Beorth swung his blade at the new opponent, but it deftly avoided the blow. Beorth backed off.

Jan pulled her own club from the leather thong at her belt and rammed it into the bugbear’s ribs. The chain shirt absorbed most of the blow.

Martin hung back, pulling a handful of multi-colored sad from his satchel of components and waiting for an opportunity to use it (after letting his loaded crossbow hang from his side). However, the blackened bugbear adjusted himself to stand between the two spellcasters and struck Martin with the end of his club. Martin stumbled backward. Jana tried to take advantage of the bugbear looking away from her, but his martial skill was too great to be easily distracted. He blocked the blow with his own club on the backswing.

One of the blinded bugbears stumbled into the wall of thorns as he tried to get away from the melee. He cried out, as the thorns squirmed and moved to impale him as much as possible. The bugbear slumped to the ground, bleeding to death.

Martin spoke and arcane word and cast his colored sand forth and a blast of swirling colors enveloped the two bugbears. The one closer to Beorth was stunned, but the one in army shook off the effects with a snarl. He swung at Martin again, but this time the watch-mage was ready and turned away from the blow.

Beorth charged the stunned bugbear, but it stumbled randomly to one side and the paladin missed.

Jana’s club, however, found its target and smacked the bugbear leader (the one in armor) in the back of the head.

Martin pulled his staff of his back and swung it at the armored bugbear, striking it. It stumbled, overwhelmed by the constant attacks. It swung around to strike Jana, but she side-stepped.

Beorth checked his momentum from his charge and swung around, cleaving open the skull of the bugbear just as it shook off the stunning effect of Martin’s spell. It fell dead.

Imago creare!” Martin called out, pulling a bit of wool from his cloak. On the other side of the wall of thorns appeared the image of Jeremy.

“Hey ugly!” the illusory Jeremy cried. “ Over here! I’m gonna kick your ass!”

The bugbear leader hustled away from the two spellcasters and deeper into the trees away from the wall of thorns.

Beorth and Jana moved to follow him. And Martin came up from behind. Beorth took the lead, and two more bugbears appeared from the overgrowth, blocking the way to the leader.

Kikanass!” Jana cried, but the leader was unaffected. She came up behind Beorth, who engaged one of the two new bugbears.

Somnare!” Martin entoned, casting his sand forward, and one of the bugbears fell to sleep.

The other bugbear waited for Beorth’s approach.

“Anubis! Please grant me your favor. I need your aid in battle!” Beorth cried out to his god, and felt the divine favor of the jackal-god fill him.

Jana tried to blind the waiting bugbear, but again the spell failed.

Martin lifted his crossbow and fired at the creature and struck it in the shoulder. It howled in pain, but continued to hold its ground to let its leader escape. But the leader was not bolting just yet, instead he fetched a javelin from the quiver on his back and hurled it at Jana. She screamed as it finished its arc in her hip. She felt it strike her pelvic bone, and blood-bathed her right leg.

Beorth charged, filled with his god’s power and with one hit ripped the entrails out of the bugbear body. It feebly swung its morning star when the paladin approached, but missing, it simply collapsed, slowly and painfully dying.

Jana attempted to daze the leader, but he was too willful to be affected.

Imago creare!” Martin cried, and the form of a huge golden ram stepped out from the trees. “Oh great one who has guided us here, protect us now!” The ram stepped forward, its great hooves crunching in the deep snow.

The bugbear leader’s eyes opened widely in fear, and he turned tail and fled.

“I say we run for it!” Beorth said, pointing his sword towards the where the bugbear ran with his bloody long sword.

“This way?” Martin pointed back to the passage through the thorn wall.

“This way!” he cried, and charged deeper into the trees.

“Wait,” Jana cried. “Let’s tie up the sleeping ones so they don’t end up coming up behind us.”

“Good idea,” Martin said nervously.

“Okay, but hurry,” Beorth said.

“You know, I don’t think we can survive another encounter like that one,” Jana said, as she pulled out some rope from her pack. “Not that I think we should turn back or anything, but just so you know.”

“I know, but I am going on regardless,” Beorth said.

Martin slowly nodded.

They tied up the two sleeping bugbears and then jogged off to the east.

End of Session #30

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
nemmerle said:
“You know, I don’t think we can survive another encounter like that one,” Jana said, as she pulled out some rope from her pack. “Not that I think we should turn back or anything, but just so you know.”

Way to use up your daily alotment of spells

I counted, 2 sleep, 1 blur, 1 color spray, and 2 minor images from Martin (the golden ram illusion was a great idea). Jana cast Blindness at least 3 times (I think she has some sleep spells left). Beorth seemed to use his 1 spell/prayer as well. The golden ram wouldn't happen to be Beorth's "mount" would it?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Horacio said:
A battle!
It has been longtime from the last one... :)

There is a lot more where that came from. . .

For those of you who might be downloading the .doc version - the downloadable version has been updated up to this last installment.

Dawn

First Post
I agree in that it is nice to see some spell combat. Jana is still having some trouble making that Blind spell work though.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Session #31

“Yep, yep, yep! That’s the right way,” Thomas encouraged telepathically, as the party jogged through the deep snow towards a distance hill. Beorth though he had seen the glint of the golden ram ascending the hill.

They came to the hill which has the shape of a lop-sided ziggurat, with a ring of trees obscuring the top, and lines of snow-covered shrubs at various levels.

“Let us make our way up more cautiously,” Beorth said, slowing his pace. The clanking of his armor being muffled a bit by the slower speed.

“Be careful, there’s bad guys up ahead,” Thomas warned Martin the Green.

“Thomas says there are ‘bad guys’ ahead,” Martin relayed the warning, and then went one to ask his familiar if they were more bugbears.

“No, they’re not the hairy goblins, and they aren’t like the folks in the thorns,” the squirrel chittered. “They’re humans, dressed in black and don’t smell of death.”

Martin whispered the information to his companions.

“Shouldn’t we try to sneak up there?” Jana asked.

“Um, how?” Martin said.

“I do not think sneaking is our strong suit,” Beorth said. “I think we’d best just go up there, and worry about it if we are spotted.”

Jana shrugged her soldiers, while Martin hung his head. They made their way up the hill. Beorth took the lead, his sword in his hand, dripping a trail of blood in the snow.

He came to the ring of trees around the nearly flat top of the hill, while Martin and Jana hung back about twenty-five feet back, crouched behind some of the shrubs. Beorth looked through an opening in the foliage and saw two figures dressed in black. They both had shaved heads, but one was much shorter and stockier than the other, who was tall and a wiry build.

“Did you hear that?” the tall figure said to the other. He had a strange quarterstaff strapped to his back. It was a bit thinner and shorter than most Beorth has seen. “It is probably those bugbears again,” the man continued. “Go check it out.”

The stocky figure walked towards the trees where Beorth hid. The paladin noticed that the man wore sandals despite the snow, but had his feet wrapped in black wool. It was obvious he was a monk of Anubis, no one else in the world dressed that way. The man was unarmed, but had large meaty fists.

The monk turned to his left, and Beorth took the chance to crane his neck to see what was just off center of the clearing. It was a stone bier upon which was the huge golden ram, but it was tied down with three thick ropes and upon its muzzle was a leather muzzle.

A twig snapped.

“Who goes there?!” The stocky monk called, turning towards Beorth again. “I see you! Step out of the trees! Speak!”

Beorth did not hesitate. He stepped out of the trees, still holding his sword at his side.

“Someone is calling Beorth to come out of the trees,” Jana whispered to Martin. “It’s a man’s voice.”

“Should we join him?” Martin asked, softly.

“Not yet,” Jana replied.

“It is I, Beorth Sakhemet,” the ghost-hunter of Anubis announced in a confident voice. “I believe you have something that belongs to me.”

“And what would that be?” the stocky monk replied in a gravelly voice.

“You have my amulet. It was brought to you,” Beorth continued to walk forward until he was only five feet away. The tall wiry monk, strode forward.

“Your amulet? Master Beorth, I have heard of you. I know nothing of the amulet of which you speak,” the tall monk said, his voice was low and smooth. “You should know that I would not take anything that was not mine, and neither would my disciples.”

“I assume you are Adder,” Beorth said, flatly. (132)

“Oh, no, no,” the tall monk pressed his hands against each other before his cheat as if in prayer. “I am not so important of a man as he. I am Vander, Initiate of the Stone.” (134)

There was a long pause.

“”Why do you hang back,” Vander asked. “Come forward. Let us talk. Are you alone?”

“No,” Beorth replied. “No, I have two friends.”

“Why do they hide?” Vander asked.

“Martin! Jana!” Beorth called, turning back. “Come up here.”

Jana and Martin looked at each other.

“Okay, let’s go,” Jana said to Martin, shrugging her shoulders.

The wizard and the witch stepped into the clearing. Vander smiled.

“So, what brings you here, Beorth Sakhemet?” Vander asked.

“ I was led,” Beorth replied.

“Led?”

“Yes, I was led,” Beorth repeated, not volunteering any details.

“By whom?”

“By your captive.”

“Captive?” Vander looked genuinely surprised. “Oh, the creature that you see! Its guile never ends.”

“Yes, it is rare to find a guileless creature,” Beorth replied, glibly. “And what brings you here?”

Vander stepped closer, and gestured back to the ram. It’s large azure eyes moved to peer at Beorth. “We came here to find and capture this creature.”

“Why would you capture such a beautiful creature?” Beorth asked.

Vander clucked his tongue, “You should know that visions of beauty on the surface do not always reflect beauty of the spirit.”

“Oh, I know,” Beorth said. “I guess it is possible that this creature is one of Seker.” (134)

“In the ancient past there were many more Powers than we know of today,” Vander explained. “This creature is all that is left.”

“Left of what?” Beorth asked.

“A being that existed in The Time Before,” Vander replied. “Its divine form was destroyed in the tumult that ended The Time Before, but for the millennia that has passed it has re-taken the form of this great ram in an attempt to regain its full power. Thankfully, there has always been someone to hunt it and destroy it before this could happen, and it would take hundreds of years for it to re-gather its power and take corporeal form once again.”

“They’re bad! They’re bad! They’re gonna hurt the ram! The ram is good! The ram is good!” Thomas began to screech in Martin’s mind.

“Calm down,” Martin re-assured him. “We will figure out a way to handle this.”

“Anubis has shown me creatures like this one in my dreams,” Beorth said, quietly.

“So you could seek them out?” Vander asked.

Martin leaned over to whisper in Jana’s ear, “Why would they say it was of Seker, if…”

Vander’s ears were keen. “It is not of Seker! It is of Set. Or at least it was once allies with him. You must realize that in the universe there exist a perfect specimen of every animal of nature,” Vander explained. “Some of these have achieved divinity, and are known as the Beast Gods. Others wander the world and the planes, aiding the gods or seeking to become gods themselves.”

“I hadn’t heard that,” Beorth said.

“It is true,” Vander replied. “Some would call them celestial, but we would call them axiomatic.”

“And, I take it that is synonymous with disposable,” Beorth said, allowing his facetiousness come through. “For I definitely feel that such a beautiful creature should not die.”

The paladin of Anubis walked past Vander towards where the ram was bound, and the tall monk stepped backward to move with him. Lomax stepped to his right to stand between Jana, Martin and the ram. He still was about fifteen feet away from the two spell-casters.

“Well, that is up to Master Hamfast,” Vander said, speaking of the fate of the ram. “Unless he speaks to Adder, I am afraid he will be forced to follow his master’s decision.”

“I am taking this decision into my own hands,” Beorth said, and walked right over to one of the ropes holding the ram down, and raised his sword.

“Beorth, don’t do anything foolish!” Vander said.

Beorth’s sword came down on the thick rope and it snapped. The ram began to struggle to raise his rear legs which had been partially freed.

“Lomax,” Vander called to the stocky monk. “We must stop them, but do not hurt them…too much.”

A sneer appeared on Lomax face as he began to run towards the two spell-casters, but when he was five feet away he leapt high into the air, leading with a kick, and bending the other leg back beneath his body. The flying kick connected with Jana’s chin and chest, sending her backward, her lip swelling, as blood dribbled down her chin. Lomaz landed before her, and turned to face her and Martin. He held his hands in claw-fingered stance, gently bouncing on the balls of his feet.

“Forgive me for this, Anubis,” Beorth cried aloud, as Vander leaped to the attack. The paladin ducked a punch and swung his sword low across the monk’s leg, but Vander leapt high into the air avoiding the blade deftly. Beorth noted that while the martial arts style Vander was using was similar to that the Monks of Anubis he had been raised by used, it seemed more aggressive, and he his hands in a clawed form, instead of the normal closed-fist stance.

Jana had her club in her hand and began to swing it wildly in front of her to keep Lomax at bay, while Martin hustled around out of his reach and pulling a dagger began to cut at the front rope holding down the ram. Unfortunately, the rope seemed to resist his pitiful whacks at the rope.

Lomax ignored the watch-mage and let loose a flurry of punches at Jana, but she was able to bat them off with her club. While Vander, with unparalleled speed and skill, pulled his bo stick from his back and spinning it in one hand over her his head, brought it to bear with both hand and laid two hard jabs with the butt against Beorth’s chin and neck.

Beorth tasted his own blood in his mouth and returned with a painful cut Vander’s forearm, but the monk showed no reaction. He simply twirled his staff with great speed, cutting the air like thunder as it spun to knock the sword away before it could do more harm. Beorth knew in his heart that this was a battle he had little hope of winning.

Martin finally cut through one of the ropes, and the ram lifted it head up. The watch-mage turned with a smile of accomplishment towards Jana, in time to see Lomax easily reach through her defense and crunch her nose with his fist. Blood spurted out over her face and chest and she crumpled unconscious to the ground. Lomax turned and looked at Martin. “There are two ways to do this,” he said.

Beorth continued to try to get through the whirling defense of Vander’s bo stick, but could not with out making himself vulnerable. He felt the blow of the stick against one ankle, but he held his ground and did not fall, however, by planning his feet he left himself open when the staff whirled around and the other end slammed him in the helm, making a large dent. Beorth stumbled backward, away from his opponent and called out to his god, “Anubis! I need your strength! Please grant me your healing power.” He laid his hands upon his own face, and felt the warmth of his god’s power, but he knew he was just delaying the inevitable.

“Disapparé,” Martin intoned, and he disappeared from sight. Invisibly, he crept around the large stone and began to cut at the remaining ropes.

Lomax jogged over to where Martin stood, easily following the watch-mage by the footprints that seemed to appear in the snow by their own accord. He let a back hand slap go, that connected with Martin’s temple. Martin the Green was growing nervous, and his shaking as his frantically tried to cut the rope worked against his goal; not mention his random bobbing to avoid the blows from Lomax.

“What one cannot see still exists,” Lomax said, quoting some monk chant.

Beorth had renewed his attack upon Vander, while the tall monk let out a long low breath and squeezed one fist so tight it turned from his olive flesh tone to red and then to white as he punched at the paladin’s solar plexus. Beorth turned his blade down towards the fist, forcing Vander to pull his punch at the last minute. Neither found their mark.

Martin winced as he felt another punch catch his lip.

Vander dropped his defense and leapt to a nearly blurred flurry of blows with his staff and his feet. Beorth felt them contact again and again, and fought to remain conscious. He took advantage of the opening and succeeded slice the length of his long sword across Vander’s hip and groin. The monk showed no emotion, but he was forced backward, placing all his weight on the uninjured leg.

“Your blow struck true, Ghost-hunter,” Vander said. “But I am not afraid of death, for even if I come before the Master he will reward me for fighting against one as treacherous as you.”

“Thomas, I need you to go to the others,” Martin commanded his familiar. “Go run, and hide if you have to, but find Ratchis and bring him here.”

Thomas obeyed unquestioningly, knowing from his master’s tone that this was very serious. He slid down the inside of Martin’s robe, and out and away; unseen by Lomax.

A moment later, Martin was visible again, his face bloodied by two more powerful punches, and lying unconscious on the ground.

“You and your faction have turned your backs on Anubis!” Beorth accused, as he and Vander traded more blows. Lomax moved to join the fight, but stopped in his track as the ram flexed its body and burst the remaining rope. It stood, and Beorth was nearly distracted. It stood upon the stone bier, but even without the platform its shoulders would have been over six feet off the ground. It still had the muzzle on its snout.

“It is free!” Lomax cried, fear creeping into his voice. “You have doomed us all!”

The ram replied by leaping from the stone and slamming its huge golden horns against Lomax knocking him back and down easily. It stood above him and looked down. The stocky monk twist on the ground and leapt to his feet, futilely punching at the magnificent beast.

Beorth’s attention was taken from his own fight, but Vander was not as easily distracted, and one final blow struck home.

The last thing Beorth saw was a golden blur as he fell to the snowy ground, unconscious.

----------------------------------------
Notes:

(132) Beorth first heard of Adder from Master Hamfast during the Interlude that was detailed after Session #24.

(133) Monks of Anubis have titles that coincide with their position in the hierarchy of their order.

(134) Seker is the evil god of deception and betrayal. He is often called “Master of Light & Darkness”.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases