• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Out of the Frying Pan"- Book IV - Into the Fire [STORY HOUR COMPLETED - 12/25/06]

Manzanita

First Post
Wow. That's it for Martin, eh? Did he ever have a chance? I suppose he could have joined Richard, but then he would have broken his vow to Osirus & died anyway. Adder managed to free his god. I guess if you run anohter Aquerra campaign, it can use these events as the basis of the plot. Or at least the world has changed. Cool.

Scider

First Post
Wow! This must have been an extremely exciting session for all the players - it certainly had some climatic tension to it. Kudos on the writing, El-Remmen, it's a pity things are coming to a close so fast now. Personally, I'm curious if Sergio will prove to be a problem at some point in the future (now there is proof of the fact that his alignment is evil, according to the events in the Dark Room). Also, I wonder whether some loose threads (think Rindalith) will come to haunt the Keepers before or after their main quest has been concluded (if is is concluded at all)...

Can't wait until the next update, that's probably what I really wanted to say ;) :cool:

Pyske

Explorer
I'm hoping we at least find out why on earth Osiris wanted Rakhefet freed, and whether this was somehow a fair bargain. (1/4 of a life-debt = free a dark god and kill yourself?? There must be more to it.)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Scider said:
Also, I wonder whether some loose threads (think Rindalith) will come to haunt the Keepers before or after their main quest has been concluded (if is is concluded at all)...

Well, if your really want to know about Rindalith, look below:

There was no way for the party to know this in-game (aside from use of divination, I guess) but after his last interaction with the KotG and that running fight, Rindalith gave up and went back to Westron. Since Jana was dead, and the party was totally unwilling to listen to what he had to say (whether it was for good or ill), he decided to move on and go back to place where his contacts allowed him to get more of his dirty work done.

Not every villian haunts you and tracks you down to the end. Some just give up after a while. :)

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
A little confused ... and a comment on resurection.

How did the book of a notorious necromancer also come to be the key to the chains holding a dark god? (Or was it the other way round? And was that the only way to destroy it?)

I was also wondering how Martin had any idea where he was going in the Negative Plane, or, for that matter, how he knew to use the gizmo to evert his lungs to breathe there.

I remember two Story Hour's where the DM came up with a really cool, dramatic way to handle a resurection - this one, obviously, with the Urn of Osiris, and Piratecat's when they brought back Mrs Horn. Oddly, in both cases, the character in question either died again later, anyway, or the player left the game.

Did that detract from the drama, or add to it (in a dark way)? Martin, for instance, is stuck with an evil artifact, and, ultimately, must sacrifice his life, to 'pay' for the resurection of a friend, just so that friend could be later torn apart by an Umber Hulk (if I'm remembering it right). And, since Jana bought it, she could never fulfill her part of the bargain, so the Urn is no longer useable, at all.

Pretty rough - but then Aquerra seems like a brutal, no-punches-pulled kind of setting.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Tony Vargas said:
How did the book of a notorious necromancer also come to be the key to the chains holding a dark god? (Or was it the other way round? And was that the only way to destroy it?)

I was also wondering how Martin had any idea where he was going in the Negative Plane, or, for that matter, how he knew to use the gizmo to evert his lungs to breathe there.

You know, until I read this post I never realized how poor a job I did in explaining a lot of this stuff in the campaign. I mean, we went over it some at the end of the last actual session - but not in that kind of detail.

I think I get really possesive of campaign and setting "secrets" and it is hard for me to give out conclusive info. Part of me wants my players to speculate and theorize and figure stuff out (or come up with better ideas than mine, so I can steal them and make them feel smart ;)) - but the truth is, it is in reality very difficult "to figure things out".

So anyway, here is some info, though I will be avoiding anything that might be a spoiler for events in the story hour itself.

Marchosias the Corruptor is essentially Keraptis or Vecna, or any of the mad wizards of D&D campaigns who seek out the secrets of godhood and immortality while threatening the safety and sanity of the free peoples of the world. You know, one of those figures that would claim to be above other petty beings, but still revels in nothing better than messing with the recognixed authorities in the world.

The Book of Black Circles was one of Marchosias’ ways of insuring his continued immortality, which he made from the piece of negative energy removed from its plane to hold the god in its place by the other gods to punish the upstart god for his continued meddling in mortal affairs beyond what is normally allowed. How did Marchosias do this? Who knows? What’s important is that he did it. He had a tiny piece of the essential energy of a dark god and was using it to try to get himself back in the world.

The lock and the chains and the book fitting into it are just a visualization that makes sense to Martin’s mortal mind. How did Martin know where to go? Well, in that plane, thought is the means of locomotion. He knew where he had to go, even if he did not know where he had to go.

The lung thing was easy to figure out. His Knowledge (planes) skill told him this plain was a near-vacuum and here at an entry point to the plane were some pink lungs hanging within each reach.

Tony Vargas said:
I remember two Story Hour's where the DM came up with a really cool, dramatic way to handle a resurection - this one, obviously, with the Urn of Osiris, and Piratecat's when they brought back Mrs Horn. Oddly, in both cases, the character in question either died again later, anyway, or the player left the game.

Did that detract from the drama, or add to it (in a dark way)? Martin, for instance, is stuck with an evil artifact, and, ultimately, must sacrifice his life, to 'pay' for the resurection of a friend, just so that friend could be later torn apart by an Umber Hulk (if I'm remembering it right). And, since Jana bought it, she could never fulfill her part of the bargain, so the Urn is no longer useable, at all.

Pretty rough - but then Aquerra seems like a brutal, no-punches-pulled kind of setting.

I think Jeremy’s second untimely death did add to the drama, even if there was an initial disappointment there. Undoing the rules surrounding life and death can have serious consequences (as Beorth used to try to tell the rest of the party) and the players and their characters understood that.

I wrote in a thread today that the setting for Warhammer Fantasy was a big influence on me when that first came out, and it was not that long after that that I began developing Aquerra, and if you are familiar with that setting at all, you know how grim it can be. More recently, reading George R.R. Martin’s Song of Ice & Fire, I have found another dark world where the ripples of actions have some terrible consequences, and where being a hero is not an easy thing, if even possible. At least in Aquerra, it is possible – it is just that I am emulating the trope that I have always like most from fantasy, which is the heroic struggle against despair.

I think the random factor of an RPG helps keep that dark element firmly there, because a stray crit can kill Jeremy, or an unforeseen death can lead to a powerful magical item becoming useless, or a rickety staircase meant to be a simply challenge for the party to overcome can lead to the death of another PC.

Richard Rawen

First Post
Wow... that post was somewhat draining... but in a Good Way!

There certainly is a pervasive sense of drama and despair, I have no clue how they will overcome let alone escape without further PC deaths, if not a TPK!

Sounds rather ghoulish to say this now, but this is great reading El-Remmen. =-)

BlackCat

Explorer
Richard Rawen said:
Wow... that post was somewhat draining... but in a Good Way!

There certainly is a pervasive sense of drama and despair, I have no clue how they will overcome let alone escape without further PC deaths, if not a TPK!

Sounds rather ghoulish to say this now, but this is great reading El-Remmen. =-)
I'm curious, RR. What obstacle do you foresee causing further PC deaths/TPK? I mean, while playing Roland I was pretty nervous at this point but that was general twitchiness. Is it just the general overtone or a specific menace that makes you think that? Just wondering.

Richard Rawen

First Post
BlackCat said:
I'm curious, RR. What obstacle do you foresee causing further PC deaths/TPK? I mean, while playing Roland I was pretty nervous at this point but that was general twitchiness. Is it just the general overtone or a specific menace that makes you think that? Just wondering.

I think the fact that the DM has shown that PC's Will Die if the situation calls for it. Many DM's out there (myself included upon occassion) will 'bend' the rules or storyline somehow to allow a PC to survive. Add that there are Real limits to this "quest"... some are time factors, others are more like puzzle pieces that have to be inserted in a specific order and so on... The various other 'Factions' are thinning out but, though I would not put it past him to bring another power into play. Just the various elements of the Maze itself have proven near fatal on occassion...

But I go back to my first point to really underline the feeling I have:
The DM has no qualms about killing PC's. Some of the powers you guys have encountered have really overmatched you . . . it seems as though it's only a matter of time, with an exhausted, depleted and battered group, some internal struggles, at least one known enemy in their ranks, plus a possibly evil (and therefore unknown quantity) in Sergio, someone bound to infernal powers (Bastian) and heck between Roland, Ratchis, Gunthar and Kazrack someone WILL do something rash/reckless... add that all up:
... somebody is going to die, quite possibly numerous somebodies.

Remove ads