"Out of the Frying Pan"- Book IV - Into the Fire [STORY HOUR COMPLETED - 12/25/06]

Scider

First Post
I would say Adder kind of freaks me out at the moment...he seems very powerful (or at least confident of his own abilities - but his Quivering Palm ability certainly emits some scary vibes) and it's not all that clear what his intentions are. Also, since Richard has always been something of a wild card, the Red Wizard could of course come up with a nasty surprise at an opportune moment. Who knows what his plans (if any) are for Hurgun and his maze? The fact that he probably (?) is not evil-aligned (Dark Room again) do very little to quell any worries regarding him.

Everything seems possible at the moment though - who knows what messing with time or temporal disturbances can achieve at this point of the story?

Oh, and I think handling the case of Rindalith the way it was handled only adds to the depth and sense of realism of this campaign (yay NPC motivations!). He certainly has had his moments when he was there harassing the Manticore Killers, and thus is memorable in his own right.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for chiming in everybody!

For those of you interested in what is going to be going on in Aquerra after "Out of the Frying Pan" is completed, check out 'Second Son of the Second Son': The Birth of An Aquerra Campaign. It is a thread I have started to kind of shine light on the campaign preparation process from character creation and player participation angle.

Also, you can download the PDF Player's Campaign Guide from there to see the kind of prep stuff I give players.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Since the next session was very long I am going to break it up into several installments - more than the usual 2 (or sometimes 3) that I usually do - probably 4 or 5.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Session #101 (part i) (1)

The great ape, with its exposed brain, was still orbiting the brown-skinned frozen form of Hurgun of the Stone, caught in the swirling blue-white spiral that surrounded the geomancer. Adder rocked back and forth, and barely made note of the Keepers of the Gate’s entrance. But he leapt deftly from one of the wide catwalks to one on the left, twisting his body to avoid the sudden pulse of the time elemental.

“What do we do?” Kazrack asked, as Gunthar stepped forward to the top of the stairs, swords drawn. Ratchis followed, but the Neergardian continued, getting as close as he dared to the orbiting ape. He made ready to take a swipe at it as it came around again.

“I don’t know if that is a good idea,” Ratchis warned the blonde warrior, taking a moment to look down at the swirling mist below the metal grate they stood on.

“We have to do something,” Gunthar complained, letting the ape go by one time.

“For once, Gunthar is right,” Kazrack said, and suddenly charged up the steps and leapt across the gulf to the catwalk the monk had leapt to. The heavily armored dwarf teetered on the edge half a moment. Adder walked over calmly, crouching into a fighting position, his scarred face impassive. Kazrack was barely able to throw himself flat to the grate and roll away loudly, as he felt the monk’s foot slam him in the chest plate.

Ratchis drained another of his clay vials of the Blood of Ashronk and began to string his bow. (2) Arcane words and gestures came from Richard the Red, as he pointed at the monk, but nothing seemed to happen. Kazrack continued to retreat as he got to his feet.

Suddenly, two tendrils of blue-white light flashed out at both Adder and Kazrack. The monk ducked with incredible speed and avoided it, but Kazrack’s cry was cut short as he stumbled back stunned. Adder took advantage and followed a roundhouse kick with a shove that sent the dwarf over the side of the grate and down into the crackling misty abyss below. The mist roiled more violently and a flash of light momentarily blinded everyone.

“Kazrack!” Ratchis cried, letting an arrow go that was sure to reach its mark. Adder turned around and brushed it out of the air almost casually.

And as Gunthar cut deeply into Ming the Dakkon-King as the paralyzed gorilla flew past, Razzle leapt into the air and came tumbling down onto the catwalk opposite the one Adder was on. However, another tendril flashed out and the half-elf could not avoid it. He stumbled back, dropping his rapier.

Sergio’s musical encouraging words echoed across the chamber.

Razzle Greyish barely had time to recover when the time elemental struck out again; this time in both directions at once. The monk leapt high to avoid the one that came after him and leapt upon the dais, beside the chair Hurgun hovered over. Razzle, however, was surrounded by an aura of blue-white light and he began a much faster orbit about Hurgun, further out than Ming was.

Gunthar sheathed his blades, stepping back to avoid Razzle’s path, and drew out an orcish shortbow and sent an arrow at Adder. It fell short, but as Adder made to step onto the chair, the time elemental whipped him with a tendril, sending him falling backwards. Gunthar, having misjudged how far back he now need to be to avoid the tendrils, could not resist when one whipped around him from Razzle’s passing paralyzed form. The Neergaardian was now paralyzed as well, moving even faster than Razzle did, though just beyond him.

Ratchis let two more arrows go the moment he saw Adder fall back, and this time the monk could not avoid them. However, Ratchis had to step back down the steps to avoid Gunthar and Razzle. He and Sergio and Richard huddled there for a moment.

“Any ideas?” Ratchis asked, as Sergio continued to sing.

“Only one, and it probably won’t work,” Richard the Red said, grabbing the lining of his cloak. “I may be able to reach it by using this, but more likely I will fade away into oblivion.” He paused and looked at Ratchis in the eye. “I hope you can think well of me for this, if for nothing else.” The crimson-robed watch-mage tugged on his cloak twice and he disappeared.

“How will we know if it worked?” Ratchis called aloud. The bard just shook his head and continued singing. The whole chamber shuddered, and Ratchis brought his bow up again as Adder seemed trying to make a second attempt. However, two blue-white tendrils shot out at once and again the monk could not avoid them. He too was grabbed in an aura of blue-white light and began to spin about the spiral about Hurgun.

“This is bad,” Ratchis whispered, as he heard Sergio stop singing.

“I am getting out of here,” the bard said, leaping through the portal. The whole chamber shook again and jerked to the left, hanging about fifteen degrees askew. Ratchis fell to his knees and held onto the grating for dear life. His bow clattered down the grate disappearing into the rising mist. The half-orc pulled himself through the portal and found Sergio waiting for him on the other side.

They were in the Hell Room, and the whole chamber shuddered again.

“Look!” Sergio pointed at the portal. The normal lightless black was slowly becoming a rising blue-white swirl.

Sergio and Ratchis ran through the portal across from the one that came out of and ended up back in the Dining Room.

“What are we going to do?” Sergio asked, looking panicky. Sweat was beading up on his forehead.

“I don’t know…” Ratchis replied. He looked to where Roland of Bast was still praying silently between the unconscious forms of Bastian and Norena. Cordell of Thoth was laying still, a few feet away. Two of the portals in this chamber began to transform into blue-white light as well, and the whole place shuddered again.

“I am not staying here,” Sergio said, and fled through one of the other portals.

Ratchis knelt before Roland.

“Roland,” he said calmly. “I need your help. I don’t know what to do. Maybe we should be fleeing…”

The room shuddered and jerked again as the two portals were now rectangles of swirling blue and white. The floor tilted and the unconscious forms began to slide into one corner.

Finally, Roland looked up from his prayer, as he was forced to stop himself and hold the bodies to keep them from being re-injured when colliding with furniture.

“I think it is too late to do anything,” Roland said sadly, as he gestured towards the blue and white light pooling into the room like some form of luminescent liquid air.

“I thought you said we had all the time in the world…” Ratchis said, as the room suddenly slipped into complete freefall and the blue and white energy rushed in quickly, like water into a sinking boat. Submerged, there was only the barren white flash before non-existence.

------------------------------------------
Notes:

(1) This session was played on December 3rd, 2005.

(2) This is actually the strength bow he commissioned back in Summit long ago and then later gave to Logan. Obviously, he took it back from Logan’s corpse.

Gold Roger

First Post
Yikes!

Can't wait to read more, I know something big and spectacular is going to happen (if only because
Kazrack and Martin survived
)

Slife

First Post
Why didn't they try talking to the time elemental? Are aquerran elementals nonintelligent, or was it just that none of the party had the tongues spell?

I mean, surely it would want to be freed.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Slife said:
Why didn't they try talking to the time elemental? Are aquerran elementals nonintelligent, or was it just that none of the party had the tongues spell?

I mean, surely it would want to be freed.

No one thought of it, I guess. Or if they did, no one brought it up.

And no, none of the PCs (as far as I remember) had the tongues spell.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Session #101 (part ii)

Osilem, 24th of Keent - 564 H.E.

“Ach, ya ned tah use the sahm stun ta be far. The dwarf said it.” Kazrack heard a distantly familiar voice come down to him from the top of a grassy hill. He looked around as a light breeze broke the stifling heat of a late summer in Verdun. There were tall green oaks, and small flowering bushes lining rows of tomb stones, and in the distance he saw the occasional tomb. The sun’s glare was peeking out from behind the huge mausoleum to his left. There was a good-sized stone in his hands. He felt healthy and unwounded.

“Aye! Kahz-rock! Whut is takin’ ya suh long? Ya sent the witch, ‘ave ya?” the voice came down to him again, and the dwarf looked up the hill and began to climb it. The voice was coming from black-haired man in studded leather armor, wearing a color kilt of orange and red, and had a bastard sword strapped to his back. He hopped back and forth; restless.

“Muh-muh…Malcolm?” Kazrack said he came to the top of the hill. From here he could see the walls of Verdun nearby (1), but more amazingly he could now see that Malcom Mac-Duligh was not up here alone. There was tall man with a shaved head in a suit of scale mail, the butt of his quarterstaff resting on the ground, and a silver jackal’s head about his neck. There was a young woman with dark brown hair, olive skin, large eyes, and a plain brown dress. It was Jana and Beorth.

“How did you change into that so quickly?” came the voice that really lifted Kazrack’s heart. “Where did you even get plate mail? I mean, you didn’t carry it with you and you certainly didn’t find it at the bottom of the hill! And you were wearing a chain shirt before…” It was Jeremy Northrop. His face was still fresh and unbearded, and his golden locks had just started to grow about his ears freeing itself of the simple bowl-cuts favored in his native Neergaard. He wore a chain shirt and had a longsword and short sword on his belt.

Kazrack looked down at the front of his armor, noticing that the detailed etching he hade made on the breastplate of a rune-covered mountain was mostly buffed away by the many blows it had absorbed.

Jana’s eyes narrowed as she looked the dwarf up and down suspiciously.

“Ach! Ah thought dwarves had nuh magic about ‘em,” Malcolm protested.

“I… I…” Kazrack could not close his mouth. He looked back and forth from one of his former companions to another. Somewhere a summer songbird tweeted. “Don’t you understand? I… I have seen you all die, or leave to not be found again…” His vision rested on Beorth.

“I do not know what you are talking about,” Beorth said, calmly. “Do you speak prophecy?”

“No… This must be… How can this be the past? And I stand here in the armor I made myself a year from this day…” Kazrack was dumbfounded.

“Ah thank the dwarf’s been innas coops,” Malcolm said. Kazrack smiled at the accent and then suddenly blurted, “Chance!”

“What?” Jeremy asked. He shot a cocked eyebrow at his Wallbrookian friend and grinned; tapping his own temple.

“Chance is still alive here, too!” Kazrack cried out. “I have a chance to save him, too. To make everything turn out better than it did!”

“Ya men the fella back at the pub? The other Wallbrookian that ‘ass signed oop?” Malcolm asked.

Kazrack nodded vigorously, but the smile melted. He barely had time to plant his feet as a brown-clothed form came leaping over the side of the hill scattering the others. The monk’s kick slammed against Kazrack’s chest plate with a resounding ring.

Adder spun back and away, crouched in a fighting stance.

“Why do you attack me?” Kazrack asked, withdrawing to draw his golden flail and his shield. He remembered his halberd dropped from his hand when he was stunned by the blue-white tendril of the time elemental.

“Defeat you now alone, or defeat you later in time when you stand with your friends? What would you do?” Adder replied.

“But he does stand with his friends, false monk!” Beorth said, bringing his hands down from in front of his face. His sight beyond sight had detected the foul cloying aura of evil about Adder. (2)

Boayl sollys!" Malcolm chanted, pulling his bastard sword off his back (3) and a burst of light exploded in front of Adder’s scarred face. The monk ignored it and spun, deftly avoiding and knocking blows aside with a dance-like grace, his arms locking momentarily in fanciful positions before flowing again. Suddenly, the dance turned violent. As he ducked Kazrack’s flail, Adder swept Beorth’s legs out from under him, sending the heavily armored warrior the ground. The monk hopped back up and performed a flurry of heavy stomping kicks as he ran over the helpless paladin. There was a sickening crack as the monk’s sandal sent Beorth’s chin into the grass.

Adder leapt into the air and spun back around, to fend off Kazrack who was on his heels.

“Fiend! I will slay you!” Kazrack roared.

“Holy…!” Jeremy cried, and immediately began to hustle away. He only paused when he noticed his friend was not following him. (4) Jana (5), on the other hand was already way ahead of the Neergaardian, running for her life back towards Verdun.

Kazrack withdrew as Adder tumbled around him, taking a moment to call to his gods for bear’s’ endurance.

”Malcolm! Run away! Run away!” Jeremy cried, charging backing with his long sword swinging. Adder turned away to easily avoid the blow. Malcolm jerked as he brought his sword down through the air missing. Adder grabbed the skald’s arms and drove his knee into the bard’s gut and crotch several times, before dropping him to the ground unconscious.

Kazrack made to take advantage of the distraction, but Adder ducked back down again, and swept Kazrack’s feet, sending the dwarf to the ground. The monk knelt beside the dwarf and punched him full on in the neck, but sprung back up as Jeremy tried to creep up behind him. A kick went flying back sending the Neergaardian to the ground next to his companion.

“Give up, Kazrack,” Adder said, stepping back casually towards Malcolm. “Can’t you see this is all pointless? That any duty you are forced to uphold is but a weight dragging you down. There is only pain in this life. Pain and death. And I know you do not relish it…”

Adder stepped on Malcolm’s neck, snapping it as Kazrack struggled to get back to his feet.

“You blame your weakness on your humanity,” Kazrack said. “But you are truly inhuman, monk.”

“One day that too shall be true, but until I reach that state, I am free of duty and promise,” Adder said, dancing over to land on Jeremy and twist his feet to kill the young warrior. “If I am evil, I am evil because it is the default state of men. If I want you to despair, it is only because I want you to see truly the state of the mortal being.”

Kazrack roared wordlessly, pressing in with shield and flail. The monk did not show that he felt pain, but Kazrack knew he scored a good blow, as the flail chain jerked hard and he pulled away again. A flurry of punches battered at the top of the shield, and several came down striking Kazrack hard in the bridge of the nose. The dwarf saw stars and withdrew again, but was shocked to suddenly see Adder flying down out of the air, left leg held straight before him. (6) The sandaled foot caught him in on his breastplate and he went stumbling back, as Adder flipped back and landed on his feet again.

The monk cracked his arms and got back into his fighting stance, staring at Kazrack without blinking. The rune-thrower called to Krauchaar to grant him bull’s strength. He could feel every breath burn down in his chest, and his knee felt twisted from when he fell; his whole body ached. He sighed, but then caught sight of the crumpled forms of his friends dead once again, and he raised his shield, spun his flail over his head and charged in once again.

Again he felt the flail strike the monk hard, but the silent master seemed to hug onto the shield, as if using it for cover as well, dancing left and right to avoid the dwarf-head-shaped head of the weapon. (7) However, the monk’s blows were having a hard time getting around the shield as well, and they broke apart once again.

Kazrack called for Rivkanal to close the worst of his wounds, but was dismayed to find that those left behind were not so much better. He looked up to see that Adder was kneeling silently with his palms pressed together. The some of the monk’s wounds closed of their own accord.

Kazrack roared and charged again, and this time Adder charged as well, leaping into his flying kick once again, but Kazrack side-stepped and slammed his flail into the monk’s back as he went past. Adder crumpled into a ball on the ground, and Kazrack got in another lick before the monk tumbled away and back to his feet. Tenacious, Kazrack did not let up, raining blows down on the retreating monk. Adder regained his form and balance and managed a few more punishing blows to Kazrack’s head and face. The dwarf’s ears rung in his helmet. Realizing he had lost his advantage he withdrew again, and once again called to his gods for aid. This time, in the form of a shield of faith.

Adder tossed away a glass vial that shattered against a stone, having just swallowed its contents. (8)

Again the two fighters met. This time, Kazrack stopped short of his charge and Adder ended up over extended in his kick. (9) The flail spun round crushing into the monk’s ribs. Adder spat blood and spun quickly to block the follow-up blow, but failed. The weight of the blow knocked the monk to the ground, but he hopped back up to his feet with no trouble and battered at Kazrack’s shield.

Grunting, Kazrack slammed the monk again, but was alarmed when he felt the monk grab his arm and twist it painfully. Kazrack pulled back too fast, and his shield fell just enough to allow Adder a solid hit to the dwarf’s face.

The world was objects of softly pulsating colors awash with pain. There was another shock of sudden pain, and then all was black for the rune-thrower.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Notes:

(1) Verdun is the capital of the Kingdom of Herman Land, where the tale of the heroes that would come to be known as the Keepers of the Gate first began.

(2) DM’s Note: Beorth was being run by Martin the Green’s player.

(3) DM’s Note: Malcolm Mac-Duligh was, of course, played by Ratchis’ player, since that was his characters. I handed out the sheets with the stats on them face down, and gave him a note with instructions that it should be read aloud in ‘Malcolm’s voice’ when I gave him the signal, and then everyone could turn the sheets over.

(4) DM’s Note: Jeremy Northrop was run by Bastian player.

(5) DM’s Note: Jana of Westron was run by Roland of Bast’s player.

(6) DM’s Note: This is the Flying Kick martial arts feat

(7) This is Ororon-Thiduil, found in the Pit of Bones. See: http://aquerra.wikispaces.com/Magical+Item+-+Ororon-Thiduil

(8) DM’s Note: This was a potion of owl’s wisdom to improve his armor class.

(9) DM’s Note: Adder misses and fumbled, getting this result: Over-extended/Distracted. Intended opponent gains immediate attack of opportunity at +4.

Remove ads