Out running a temple

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
I would do this cinematically (without a map) as 4 - 6 rounds around the table depending how deep in the temple they are. Each round would be a different room or passage the party is navigating through. I'd write up box text descriptions of the rooms and what is flooding/collapsing/etc in that area and let the players come up with creative RP ways to use whatever skill they want as long as it's awesome, or a basic acrobatics or athletics check for those not to big into RP at the table. For every 2 failed checks, that PC loses a healing surge. 4 - 6 rounds is a max of 2-3 surges lost.

I'd also be very judicious on aiding another during this, as I'd want a good RP description of how someone else is aiding:

"Ornate ceiling tiles, arch support beams and other debris is falling all around the room. A particularly large column , as wide as a door is high, collapses in your path, blocking the entrance to the next passage."

Player 1: I use athletics to try and lift and shove the column to the side.
Players 2-4 assist by helping lift.
Player 5: I use perception to find something to use as a lever to help lift.
DM notes: additional +1 bonus to lifting attempt if success. (2nd failure)
Player 6: (halfling) I use acrobatics to slide under as they lift and try to push the beam out of the way from another angle.

"Player 5 is pelted by a painted ceiling tiles while trying to find a solid looking beam to use as a lever, lose a healing surge. You manage to find an appropriate sized beam and move it into position to hold the column up long enough for the halfling. As the others lift the column, the halfling wriggles under and pushes the column sideways while the others lift so they can angle it to the side. After the column is moved, you all rush into the next passage."

-J

jcayer

Explorer
For the endurance checks, I started with a DC 10. I also had level 12 guys running though it. You might want to start with a 6 or even 4. It's going to climb, fast. After 6 rounds, it will be 18 or 16. You could also start it slightly higher, but only increase it by 1 each round.

I liked the idea of the rising endurance check as you're running at full blast. So you're going to tire, fairly quickly.

Remove ads