Overlooked Items in Less Used Slots

Fishbone

First Post
Do you have an idea what good deals are relative to their cost in both money and slots?

For instance, I always have trouble deciding what to do with the head and throat slots for martial characters.

Just looking for bang for my buck.

Last edited:

Wyvernhand

First Post
For most martially inclined characters, you can seldom go wrong with a Scout's Headband (MIC, 3400g). 3 charges per day, 1 gets to Darkvision for an hour, 2 gets you See Invis for 10 minutes, and 3 gets you True Seeing for 1 minute. Its one of the cheapest True Sight items you can buy. I'd buy one for levels 6-10, and a second one around 11 so you have it available twice per day (or more, if your DM throws a TON of obscured foes at you).

For the neck slot, Dandu's picks of +Con and +NA are pretty standard. If you are using MIC's rules for adding basic enhancements, then it gets a bit more diverse. A Necklace of Adaption with +Con on it is pretty nifty. There is a pricey necklace in the MIC that can give you complete immunity to all negative effects and conditions which can really save your bacon at high levels when 1 round can make the difference between winning and losing. If you are a Bard based martial character, a Badge of Valor(MIC) is common, and if you utilize Turn Undead to power various martial abilities such as Divine Might or Law Devotion, then a Relequary Holy Symbol(MIC) is useful for 1-2 extra uses for dirt cheap.

Fishbone

First Post
Throat slot? You mean the one that an Amulet of Health or Amulet of Natural Armor goes into?

Well, yeah. But there are ways to go those bonuses in other slots, and damn, it just feels boring to put Amulets of Health in there. I've been doing it since high school. I kind of imagine the characters passing around the same amulet of health for 15 years.

Empirate

First Post
For the head slot, I like Hat of Disguise at low levels: look like a scrawny wizard, then hit them with the metal stick! It's just good fun for everyone.

Unapproachable East has a bunch of magical masks (Hathran masks) that can basically do whatever, including at-will True Seeing. At the very high levels, a Cowl of Warding makes you immune to all mind-affecting things.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
at the start of a 5th level Campaign I had my Warblade3/Crusader2 wear an Amber Amulet of Vermin (Giant Wasp). Once a day Summon Nature's Ally. Not only was he able to say "I choose you, Beedrill!" But he had a flanking buddy once a day.

Not optimal, but way fun. He had another throat item I swapped in after that, I forget what it was. Likely more useful, but obviously less memorable.

Have you looked in the Magic Item Compendium? There are many creative ideas in there.

Last edited:

For the head slot, I like Hat of Disguise at low levels: look like a scrawny wizard, then hit them with the metal stick! It's just good fun for everyone.

I'll second this. Everyone can benefit from a Hat of Disguise. It's right up there with Hand of the Mage and Feather Token: Tree on the list of "Magic Items Every Character Should Own".

Another useful low level item would be Eyes of the Eagle. If you're a pure warrior type, you probably have crap for skill points (and fighters don't even get Spot as a class skill!). The EotE are a relatively cheap spot bonus that can be pretty helpful.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Hat of Disguise is amazing for its price.

Ditto goggles of minute seeing, +5 search for anything that really matters at half normal cost.

Amulet of retributive healing (MIC) iirc is 2000 gp and swift 3/day lets you heal yourself the same amount you just healed someone else!

Heartseeking Amulet (MIC) lets you attack touch AC 3/day as a swift and is dirt cheap, but hella broken and cheesy.

Boots of Agile Leaping (MIC) is 600 gp and lets you use dex instead of str on jump checks and if you have 5 balance ranks, stand from prone as a swift w/o provoking.

Wand chambers (Dungeonscape) are 300 gp, can be put in weapons and shields, and hold one wand. You are considered to be holding the wand when holding the weapon/shield and can activate it from inside.

Belt of Ultimate Athleticism (MIC) is 3600 gp and for the price of a swift action, lets you take 10 on all sorts of str and dex-based skill checks, including tumble, for the round you activated it. UNLIMITED use per day. You can also 1/day use it to take 20 on one of the covered skills' checks.

Dragon Mask (MIC) is 5000 gp to get See Invisibility for 5 min. per use 2/day as a swift action.

Brute Gauntlets (MIC) 500 gp for +2 on str checks and melee damage for a round 3/day as a swift, basically.

Chronocharms (MIC) various kinds, all are 1/day and 500 gp. Horizon Walker is a swift to move extra. Uncaring Archmage lets you cast a low level summon as a standard. Another is an immediate for +4 AC against an attack.

Steadfast Boots (MIC) are 2400 gp. By strict reading, they let you count as if you had readied to set against a charge 24/7, so if someone rushes you, you get to thwack him (for double damage!) even if you just had your turn and didn't ready anything. Even by a more toned down reading that it simply allows you to do double damage on a ready against a charge w/ any 2H weapon it's pretty sweet. Also gives stability bonuses.

Shiftweave vest (MIC) for 500 gp lets you swift action switch between 5 specific outfits, like a poor man's hat of disguise.

Last edited:

HoboGod

First Post
Headband of Ferocity, 2000 gp, Sword and Fist, Grants the effects of the Die Hard feat. Damn useful at low levels.

Headband of Glorious Recovery, 5600 gp, Miniatures Handbook, Cures 4d8+7 hit points 1/day. Great for those suicidal beatsticks that use the Vicious special ability or the Shock Trooper feat.

Horned Helm, 38,000 gp, Arms and Equipment Guide, Double speed and gain horn attack. Very high price, but INSANELY valuable when you can afford it.

Remove ads