Owl Hoot Trail: spaghetti western + fantasy = awesome. Come playtest!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
With some brilliant help from Hypersmurf, I just finished final edits on the playtest version of Owl Hoot Trail. I developed the rules and wrote an adventure for it, maybe the best adventure I've written, named "They Ride for Perdition." Holler if you want to playtest; when playtesting starts, I want folks to bang on it and see if I missed anything.

OHT will be from Pelgrane Press. It's a rules-lite western game that reminds me of a streamlined Boot Hill meets D&D. I kind of love it. In the last playtest I ran, we had a half'in gunslinger, a hill folk preacher and his dull-witted hill folk ruffian clansman facing down a corrupt cattle baron on the dusty streets of a small desert town.

For other great western games you've played - Boot Hill, Sidewinder, Deadlands, Aces & Eights - what did you love most about the experience?

Last edited:

Holler.

I've never played a Western game. But this sounds excellent (mostly because you worked on it).

Man, I'm doing a lot of playtesting these days. Don't suppose you're also working on a modern roadtrip musical adventure? Because my two favorite movies are The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly and The Blues Brothers. (I added the bold so that didn't seem like one movie, even though that one movie would be epic.)

Kaodi

Hero
I WOULD LOVE TO! But I do not have a gaming group, so I am not sure I can be much help to you.

I was briefly in a PbP Savage Worlds: Deadlands game, but unfortunately it ended up going nowhere. Which was too bad, because I think I would have really liked playing my English gunslinger from Trinidad who was an amateur historian. So, again, not much help I can give you there.

FunkBGR

Explorer
Sounds awesome!

I'm down for some playtesting opportunities too, PirateCat, so let all know when you need some help with that!

Nytmare

David Jose
ZOMGHOLLER

I don't think there's anything in particular that ever really stuck in my head from a wild west game, I'm just a sucker for the genre (and especially cross bred westerns).

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Yeah, me too. I have a deep and abiding love for classic westerns. Weirdly, I hate guns in D&D.. But I turn out to love fantasy and horror in my westerns.

One thing is for sure: Owl Hoot Trail is fairly gritty. I completely misjudged my encounters when I wrote the first draft. Then I ran a sample combat. For the "easy no-brainer" intro fight, two PCs were crippled and the outlaws escaped! Note to self: guns are actually dangerous. I recalibrated accordingly. :)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Yeah, me too. I have a deep and abiding love for classic westerns. Weirdly, I hate guns in D&D.. But I turn out to love fantasy and horror in my westerns.

One thing is for sure: Owl Hoot Trail is fairly gritty. I completely misjudged my encounters when I wrote the first draft. Then I ran a sample combat. For the "easy no-brainer" intro fight, two PCs were crippled and the outlaws escaped! Note to self: guns are actually dangerous. I recalibrated accordingly. :)
If you don't recalibrate and keep it very deadly, you could market it as a game for killer DM's. :devil:

Remove ads