Owlbear Rodeo 2.0 launches July 19th!

darjr

I crit!
I’ve loved Owlbear Rodeo since I learned if it during the pandemic. It’s elegant simple interface without the features I neither need nor want has been a joy to use. I’m looking forward to 2.0 and even maybe writing extensions for it.
IMG_7490.png
Owlbear Rodeo 2.0 is a complete re-write of the original Owlbear Rodeo. It includes a redesign of the UI, support for third-party extensions, better rich text support and more.

Owlbear Rodeo started as a personal passion project and has grown into the main way to play TTRPGs for many of you.

Link

We're currently using Owlbear 1.0 for our D&D game, and have also used it for Forbidden Lands. But I'm not sure if we will make the transition to 2.0 - partly due to some design decisions (tracking states feels like it is more effort than it should be, still no support for character sheets from which you could start rolls), partly due to the new subscription-based model (I understand why they do it, but I'm not keen on yet another subscription). Also, while I prefer the simplicity of Owlbear's UI, the broad availability of both rules and adventure modules for Foundry is definitely a plus for the latter.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I use it for my Thursday night game. I love how simple it is to use. Interested to see what the update has for us! I had no idea an update was in the works. :)

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I have been using it for Shadowdark, grid-less, both fully virtual/online, and in-person just for mapping with players sharing one screen. In a game yesterday I used a projector, which worked great.

Ondath

Hero
I'm really not looking forward to the 2.0. For me, Owlbear Rodeo's greatest feature was storing all my maps and tokens in the browser cache (which allowed me to run a wide variety of things without worrying about paying for a subscription) and having just enough features to simulate a pen and paper game without any bells and whistles. 2.0 seems to be all about feature creep, and losing the storage in cache means the site's greatest feature is also gone.

I'm also super annoyed that they're postponing the open source release of 1.0 to an unknown date. If you'll ruin your own great product with feature creep, at least have the decency to allow us to keep the old version before you force the version change.

Remove ads