Pages From The Upcoming Nautical D&D Book!

These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

1.jpg
2.jpg

Hussar

Legend
I'll see your Harry Potter and raise you a Lord of the Rings. :D After all, LotR departed pretty widely from the books yet managed to do fantastic.

I'd also point out that the Harry Potter movies depart quite a lot actually from the books, particularly the later movies where about half, if not more, of the book is cut due to time constraints.

oreofox

Explorer
Cutting portions of a movie adaptation of a book is different than changing things. They removed quite a lot from the Lord of the Rings books when it came to making the movies. One of the few things they outright changed was the time it took between Bilbo disappearing and Frodo leaving the Shire. Instead of taking (I think it was) 50 years (maybe it was 30, been too long since I read the books) it was rather instant.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Because apparently, according to the other thread on this book, the product description has this set in Greyhawk. So looks like we will be getting that setting opened for dmsguild.

In the final Harry Potter book, Voldamort tries to zap Harry, the spell immediately backfires and it's goodnight snakeface. In the movie they have a battle lasting several minutes all around the ruined school.

Satyrn

First Post
In the final Harry Potter book, Voldamort tries to zap Harry, the spell immediately backfires and it's goodnight snakeface. In the movie they have a battle lasting several minutes all around the ruined school.

Dude! You just spoiled a whole series of book and movies . . . that I have no intention of ever reading or watching, so I don't care.

E

Elderbrain

I'll see your Harry Potter and raise you a Lord of the Rings. :D After all, LotR departed pretty widely from the books yet managed to do fantastic.

I'd also point out that the Harry Potter movies depart quite a lot actually from the books, particularly the later movies where about half, if not more, of the book is cut due to time constraints.

True, the later Potter films do depart from the books... but that was after the highly-successful early films, which didn't (I'm thinking of the first two in particular.) How come this "poor marketing decision" didn't doom the franchise before they began doing things "correctly" in the later films? And cuts due to time constraints are different from actually changing things. With cuts, the viewer can still assume that the stuff from the book happened as written, only those bits didn't get shown.

Also, I never argued that if you changed things, you couldn't make money. I never said "If you change things, the movie will bomb." My argument was that you didn't "need to" change things in order to make just as much money - an important distinction.

On a side note, I just realized looking at your stats that you live in Japan - I'm jealous, being a big anime fan. :D

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Because apparently, according to the other thread on this book, the product description has this set in Greyhawk. So looks like we will be getting that setting opened for dmsguild.

Not necessarily. We have had lots of references to Greyhawk spread throughout many books, but it is still not available for DMs Guild. Now, Ravenloft, Eberron, and Ravnica became available to DMsGuild when books were very specifically published for those settings (two of which are actual setting books). I just don't know if "Ghost of Saltmarsh" qualifies as specific enough. It definitely seems similar enough to Curse of Strahd that it could be opened up for DMsGuild, we just can be sure of that.

Hussar

Legend
Elderbrain said:
My argument was that you didn't "need to" change things in order to make just as much money - an important distinction.

Oh, too true. I totally agree.

But, my counterpoint was that changing things isn't necessarily a bad thing either. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Remove ads

Remove ads