• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo Annoucement!

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
All Hail 3.5! The One True Edition!

Just in case it doesn't work....

[sblock]
All Hail 4e. The One True Edition!!

[/sblock]

Having cake and eating it FTW!

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
I can't say that I'm surprised. I don't know what the WotC people were thinking with trying to hide the product from the fans and sell it at the same time. Nor have I the slightest idea why the focus of thier marketing strategy has been to run down a system that is among the most successful and popular in the history of gaming. Some one was bound to take this approach, and since it was Paizo that means its likely to be a high quality system with enough backwards compatibility that people can use the stuff they already own. And frankly, I think Paizo has a stable of adventure writers of high enough quality that they could beat 4dventure at its own game.

IanB

First Post
GenCon 2009 does seem like a long way off. By that point we'll all have had 4E in our hands for a year and the system will likely have built a good amount of traction. I wonder if a 3.75 can really have a lot of luster that late in the game?

Gundark

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
Now, here's the kicker. If they had said "This is our permanent decision," I'd agree it was a really bad idea. But if they intend to base their business model off of Pathfinder for, say, a year or two, and then reconsider conversion, it may not be a bad model.

Possibly true mouse, I would say, after all this how sucessful would they be in courting back the 4e crowd?

zoroaster100

First Post
My first reaction was negative (not to Paizo, whom I feel great sympathy for in this situation, but for the outcome). But I don't see how Paizo really had any choice at this point. I do hope that if some months from now, when 4E is out and the majority of players have migrated to the 4E rules, Paizo will review the situation and decide whether it makes sense to start producing product for 4E.

In the meantime, it looks like their Pathfinder RPG rules are basically 3.75 Edition, and try to address some of the same problems with the 3.5 rules, though with less drastic changes. Whether the Pathfinder RPG rule changes are balanced is a whole other questions, since I imagine they have not had time to playtest the changes.

But it may be that I'll decide to run one Paizo adventure path before 4E with their new Pathfinder RPG rules to see how it goes, while waiting for the release of 4E. Then I'll be able to compare both sets of rules. I still am nearly certain I'll switch to 4E. The hard part of doing that would be trying to learn (and help my players learn) the Pathfinder RPG rules while continuing to learn the 4E rules kind of simultaneously. It may get confusing.

I still have my heart set on some day getting a Paizo adventure path done with 4E rules. Some day....

ki11erDM

Explorer
Welp. That ends my Pathfinder subscription. Guess I will have to do something else for my 4e campaign. Will save me money in the long run I guess.

rokeca

First Post
Joshua - my bad. And I even have a bunch of your Gamemastery map packs. Yes, I was thinking of the module rebranding. It makes much more sense to align all your Golarion products around the flashship.

Congrats on a bold move that in the long term, given the Paizo talent pool, should benefit everyone.

JoshuaFrost said:
Our GameMastery brand is alive and well providing largely non-edition specific support for any fantasy roleplaying game.

If you're talking about our recent decision to re-brand the GameMastery Modules as Pathfinder Modules, that had to do with us keeping our brands in order since the modules had grown out of their humble roots in the GameMastery brand and now made more sense to be included with the Pathfinder brand.

Remove ads