• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo Annoucement!

FourthBear

First Post
Wolfspider said:
Still plenty of time for changes. Playtesting has just begun....
I do think this does point out the rather fine line that Paizo is likely to have to tread. If they deviate too much from 3.5e, they'll be making their own, distinct version of D&D that may alienate those fans who *want* 3.5e material, not 3.75e material. But if it's just mild house rules for 3.5e, then customers may question the value of the new edition. My guess is that they will go the latter route and simply use their edition of 3.5e to keep the rules in print.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Good luck Paizo, hopefully you will produce 4e material in the future beyond the Necromancer Games imprint.

That said, August 2009 seems way off and all the FLGSs (five in total) that I visit (as well as Borders and B&N) seem to be busy eliminating 3.x and OGL/d20 materials from their shelves. I guess Paizo is lucky to have a good on-line store.

Greylock

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
You think so?

Just skimmed the rules.

It's 3.5 with a band-aid and fresh coat of paint. Do not want.

Really? Awesome! That's all that 3.5 needed.

Now we won't have to rag on our "backup DM" for wanting to stick with 3.x instead of C&C. We can have the best of both worlds. Wheee...
yay.gif

mosaic

Explorer
I'm so happy I could weep. I just bought the alpha and the beta rules sets. And canceled my order of D&D 4.0 over at Amazon. Even if it fails, I'm proud to support a company that is doing what most of us believe in our heart of hearts is the right thing. ¡Que viva Pathfinder!

Caerin

First Post
Neat.

I'm glad that we have options. We can look at OGL products and GSL products and decide which better suit us, mechanically or by other considerations.

Kudos to Paizo for supporting the OGL. Will new rules generated by Paizo in the Pathfinder series also be OGL? I'd assume so, but just wondering.

mhensley

First Post
ainatan said:
So Paizo decided to betray 4E?
They won't get my money anymore.
I'm just moving my Paizo bookmark from the RPG/D&D folder into the RPG/Others folder.

QFT

Not to mention that I won't ever use their store to buy other stuff again either. (especially since the last time when they delayed my order so badly) :mad:

Wiman

First Post
Since I intend to give 4e a shot while still playing 3.5 I'm a big fan of this announcement. Quality products put out for either of the two versions is better then nothing.

As for being a hard decision, I believe they made a fairly easy one.....do something good, continue to do something good. 4e will take over the market simply by the amount of product that will be produced by WOTC....I'm optimistic that 4e will be quality product <especially liking the monster reworks coming to light - go monster manuals / tome of horrors from Necro as well> but in my mind a market always values quality product - if WOTC draws in new 4e players maybe they'll take a look at Pathfinder, if Pathfinder brings in new 3.5e players maybe they'll take a look at 4e.

Stormtower

First Post
I'm a Pathfinder charter subscriber and I'll continue to support Paizo. In fact, this announcement has me excited to test drive the alpha rules and bump up the priority for my running of Rise of the Runelords and the other paths. I've had Paizo's stuff in a holding pattern for my homebrews because we're running in DCC World (Aereth) at the moment, but I really think this announcement will be good for the industry, and it definitely lessens the sting of my 3.5 books' obsolescence (without a published line of adventures, I'd be "all homebrew prep, all the time" in a few years).

All my players have expressed interest in Golarion (and only passing interest in 4E), so I have no doubt that the seats at my table will be full for a long time to come! I think 4E will succeed, and I still intend to support it as an RPGA DM, but this announcement has given me hope that 3.5/OGL will continue to hold mindshare out in the gaming world rather than becoming just another artifact of the past. Since I am rather heavily invested in 3.5 books and minis, that makes me happy.

Good on ya, Paizo. I hope you succeed beyond your expectations, and you've got my support.

Gundark

Explorer
Dr. Halflight said:
I really doubt that their message board will get any more civil though.

Message removed. Please don't start cross-board insults; we have absolutely no patience for that.

Thanks.

~ Piratecat

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads