• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo Annoucement!

Wolfspider

Explorer
ainatan said:
So Paizo decided to betray 4E?
They won't get my money anymore.
I'm just moving my Paizo bookmark from the RPG/D&D folder into the RPG/Others folder.

Wow. I just had a flash of insight. Enlightenment.

For a moment after reading this post, I knew what it was like to be a pro-4e fanboy confronted by a 3.5e "hater."

:D

Badkarmaboy

First Post
Personally, I think their adventures are well written and entertaining...but they're not nearly good enough to keep me playing 3.x

Seems like they did leave themselves a nice little back door regarding 4E, which is probably wise.

I wish them the best of luck-especially with their Organized Play endeavors. That's a lot of hard work. Given the attitude of most Paizo board posters I've seen regarding OP....can't see it working out.

rokeca

First Post
Wow - I think this is great news for both the 3.5 and 4e crowds.

For the 3e folks, this means quality support for the line into the near future, as well as Paizo's commitment to evolve the game. There are many of us 3e fans who recognize the warts of the system and have no issues with its evolution - but just don't find 4e the right solution for us.

For the 4e folks, they still get quality 3rd party support through Necromancer - possibly some Paizo support in the future (perhaps this is why they recently retired their 'Gamemastery' brand). Best of all, this could produce some real competition into the RPG market - which I think is good for both WotC, Paizo, and all the 3e/4e players.

I have no doubt that 4e will be a great product - but I do think that WotC has lost some of its customer focus in the past few years. This could sharpen up everyone's game, raise everyone's standards and perhaps even grow the RPG category. Competition could be good for the industry.

To me this looks like having it all.

Nlogue

First Post
Bagpuss said:
Personally I love the marketing genius.

You get people to pay for Pathfinder Beta then 12 months later pay again for Pathfinder.

And people complained about the gap between the different versions of WotC D&D, but some how by calling it Beta instead of 1.0 and 1.5 they hope Paizo fans won't even notice.

The Beta is free!

Wormwood

Adventurer
Wolfspider said:
For a moment after reading this post, I knew what it was like to be a pro-4e fanboy confronted by a 3.5e "hater."
The support group meets Wednesdays in the church basement. Bring a covered dish.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Bagpuss said:
Personally I love the marketing genius.

You get people to pay for Pathfinder Beta then 12 months later pay again for Pathfinder.

And people complained about the gap between the different versions of WotC D&D, but some how by calling it Beta instead of 1.0 and 1.5 they hope Paizo fans won't even notice.

Actually, we'll be giving away the Beta for free as a PDF. If people want a print edition, we'll sell them one, but I suspect the vast majority of the Betas "in play" will be via the free PDF.

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing, LLC

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
My thoughts:

Months ago, I said that WoTC may be shooting themselves in the foot with their dragging on the OGL/GSL, especially in regards to Paizo - I felt then, and feel now, that Paizo was the only company that could really put out a system that could challenge 4th edition. The question: Will people buy a thinly reworked version of 3rd edition? My answer is I really don't know.

Second thought - in response to Mistwell saying Paizo will go down because of this - is that Paizo is way too smart to let that happen. If it becomes clear that the Pathfinder RPG won't sell the numbers they need it to, I'm confident that they will adjust their strategy. They won't go down with the 3rd edition ship for the same reason they're the only ones who could keep that ship afloat - they're way too savvy.

JoshuaFrost

First Post
rokeca said:
... (perhaps this is why they recently retired their 'Gamemastery' brand) ...

Our GameMastery brand is alive and well providing largely non-edition specific support for any fantasy roleplaying game.

If you're talking about our recent decision to re-brand the GameMastery Modules as Pathfinder Modules, that had to do with us keeping our brands in order since the modules had grown out of their humble roots in the GameMastery brand and now made more sense to be included with the Pathfinder brand.

Fobok

First Post
While they won't be getting my money (I was actually planning on subscribing if they decided to switch to 4e, despite my dislike for premade adventures, just because the quality of what I've seen of their work looks so good), I do hope this works well for the company. I'll most definitely look at whatever 4e products they make with Necromancer when they eventually do.

Remove ads