Paizo Paizo Announces Drift Crisis, Lastwall, Abomination Vaults, and Shadows at Sundown

These Pathfinder and Starfinder updates all dropped in my inbox overnight--press releases announcing Starfinder Drift Crisis, Knights of Lastwall, Abomination Vaults, and Shadows at Sundown. These include a year long 'meta event', a high fantasy knightly sourcebook, and more.
  • Starfinder Drift Crisis is a 'year long meta event' including a hardcover sourcebook, a pair of adventure paths, and various accessories. FTL travel has stopped working, and a god has gone sielent.
  • Knights of Lastwall (available now) is a setting book for 'high fantasy knights'. It details an organization and includes plenty of character options.
  • Abomination Vaults (available now) copies an existing adventure path and features a megadungeon. There's a 5E version of this one also coming later this year.
  • Shadows at Sundown (available now) is an adventure which follows on from the Pathfinder 1E adventure path Curse of the Crimson Throne.

1.jpg

BRACE FOR COSMIC CATASTROPHE WITH STARFINDER DRIFT CRISIS

The hardcover RPG rulebook and jumbo, double-sided Flip-Mat kick off a year-long meta-event.​

May 25, 2022 Redmond, Wash.: Starfinder Drift Crisis, the latest rulebook for the Starfinder Roleplaying Game, and the associated Starfinder Flip-Mat: Drift Crisis, are now available at game and books stores world-wide and at paizo.com. The hyperspace plane known as the Drift has gone haywire in a galaxy-spanning disaster that will change the Starfinder setting forever!

The Drift Crisis is a year-long meta-event taking place throughout the Starfinder Roleplaying Game. Launching in today and running through spring 2023, the Drift Crisis features a hardcover sourcebook, two 3-part Adventure Paths, multiple adventures, a Flip-Mat, and will shake the foundations of how interstellar travel works in the Starfinder game and setting. This event gives you even more reason to play Starfinder today!

Hyperspace is broken! In a catastrophic instant, commonplace faster-than-light travel, made possible by the Drift, fails. Travelers vanish midflight, communications scramble, and the Drift’s progenitor god Triune falls mysteriously silent. In the aftermath, empires cling to far-flung holdings, opportunists exploit the chaos, and everyone demands to know what triggered this crisis—and how it can be solved. With Starfinder Drift Crisis, you can dive right into this galaxy-spanning adventure and determine what happens next! Featuring:
  • More than 100 new player options, from class options and themes to equipment, feats, and spells!
  • Twenty detailed adventure seeds that provide a framework for playing a framework for playing through dozens of Drift Crisis stories, whether in encounters, adventures, or entire campaigns.
  • Deep dives on the myriad effects of the Drift Crisis on factions, worlds, systems, and the galaxy at large.
  • A toolbox with a vast store of information for running adventures in the Drift Crisis, from dozens of unique treasures and 20 new creatures to rich nonplayer character profiles and information on adapting Adventure Paths.

Enhance your trip into trouble with the Starfinder Flip-Mat: Drift Crisis. This jumbo, double-sided Starfinder Flip-Mat features a hex grid map of a typical expanse of the Drift on one side, perfect for the Starfinder Roleplaying Game’s starship combat system. The other side is a standard 1-inch-square grid showing the interior of a technological structure—such as a Drift beacon, the satellites that help make Drift travel possible, or a high-tech temple to Triune, the tripartite deity who resides in the Drift. Starfinder Flip-Mats present ready-to-use science-fantasy set pieces for the busy Game Master. With Starfinder Flip-Mat: Drift Crisis, you’ll be ready for this setting-changing catastrophe!

The 192-page hardcover Starfinder Drift Crisis has an MSRP of $44.99 and is part of the optional Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscription, which comes with a complimentary PDF. The PDF alone is priced at $9.99, only on paizo.com. It will be available for virtual tabletop on Roll20 on July 21, 2022 where is is available for pre-order now.

The print edition of Starfinder Flip-Mat: Drift Crisis has an MSRP of $22.99 and is part of the Starfinder Maps Subscription, which comes with a complimentary digital edition. The digital edition alone is available for $15.99 on paizo.com.

How will your adventures during the Drift Crisis shape the future of the galaxy? Learn more about the year-long meta-event at DriftCrisis.com!

2.jpg

TAKE UP ARMS WITH PATHFINDER LOST OMENS: KNIGHTS OF LASTWALL

May 25, 2022 Redmond, Wash.: Pathfinder Lost Omens: Knights of Lastwall, the latest world setting book for playing a high-fantasy knight in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, is now available at game and books stores world-wide and at paizo.com.

When the lich Tar-Baphon escaped from his prison, he destroyed the vigilant nation of Lastwall. Though its cities fell, the people of Lastwall didn’t falter! Knights of Lastwall takes a detailed look at the courageous knights who rose up to continue the fight against the undead hordes threatening the world. This book contains information on joining the knights, details on important members of the organization, new options for knightly characters, and details for playing a valiant, knightly campaign!

“We are thrilled to publish this book, with its undead hunting theme, on the heels of the Pathfinder Book of the Dead rulebook. It is a long-desired dive into this in-world organization and a timely addition to the Pathfinder Lost Omens series!” said Aaron Shanks, Paizo Marketing and Media Manager.

The 127-page hardcover Pathfinder Lost Omens: Knights of Lastwall has an MSRP of $39.99 and is part of the Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscription, which comes with a complimentary PDF. The PDF alone is priced at $24.99, only on paizo.com.

3.jpg

ENTER THE MEGADUNGEON WITH THE PATHFINDER ADVENTURE PATH: ABOMINATION VAULTS
May 25, 2022 Redmond, Wash.:
Pathfinder Adventure Path: Abomination Vaults, the first hardcover compilation an Adventure Path for the second edition of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, is now available at game and books stores world-wide and at paizo.com.

Spiteful evil stirs beneath the mysterious lighthouse called Gauntlight. When the lighthouse emits an eerie glow, locals suspect that something sinister threatens the countryside. Brave heroes must explore the ruins around the lighthouse and delve into the dungeon levels beneath it. Hideous monsters, deadly traps, unexpected allies, vengeful ghosts, and more await the heroes who dare to enter the sprawling megadungeon called the Abomination Vaults! The Abomination Vaults Adventure Path is a complete campaign taking heroes from 1st to 11th level.

“I knew this campaign would be a big hit from the start: it has old-fashioned kick-down-the-door dungeon exploration seeded with interesting NPCs, side quests, and tons of roleplaying. The authors—James Jacobs, Vanessa Hoskins, and Stephen Radney-MacFarland—really blew me away by adding exciting action sequences and compelling character personalities to every dungeon level. The Abomination Vaults present more than a place to fight monsters and grab loot (although there’s plenty of that!), but an opportunity for heroes to solve mysteries, negotiate old feuds, rescue innocent people, and much more. And, of course, the villain lurking behind the scenes is a terrifying and powerful enemy. She’s right there on the cover and, wow, does she look angry!” said Ron Lundeen, the development manager responsible for the Abomination Vaults Adventure Path.

The 254-page hardcover Pathfinder Adventure Path: Abomination Vaults an MSRP of $54.99. The Pathfinder Adventure Path: Abomination Vaults Special Edition is a deluxe special edition bound in faux leather with metallic deboss cover elements and a bound-in ribbon bookmark. It has an MSRP of $74.99. The PDF alone is priced at $38.99, only on paizo.com. It is also available for virtual tabletop play on Roll20 and Foundry VTT.

4.png

FEAR THE NIGHT WITH THE PATHFINDER ADVENTURE: SHADOWS AT SUNDOWN
May 25, 2022 Redmond, Wash.:
Pathfinder Adventure: Shadows at Sundown, and its accessory Pathfinder Flip-Mat: Shadows at Sundown, are now available for the second edition of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game at game and books stores world-wide and at paizo.com.

Players of the Pathfinder First Edition Curse of the Crimson Throne Adventure Path still tell tales of how the city of Korvosa is perched on the edge of anarchy—the king was dead, and rumors whispered that his young queen might be responsible! It has been well over a decade since Queen Ileosa was defeated, but the city of Korvosa still fears the evil tyrant’s legacy. And so, when ghosts of the sinister queen manifest on the streets after dark, the need for new heroes arises! Pathfinder Adventure: Shadows at Sundown is an adventure for 11th-level characters written by Landon Winkler. While a standalone story, it builds upon themes and plots from years of adventures set in the Varisian city of Korvosa, and includes new monsters and new challenges to test the mightiest heroes. Who will save the city of Korvosa from the dangers that hide in the Shadows at Sundown?

The Cathedral of Pharasma, goddess of death, has long stood watch over the city of Korvosa’s sprawling graveyard. This Pathfinder Flip-Mat: Shadows at Sundown details the cathedral itself, as well as the catacombs that exist below, suitable for use in play with Pathfinder Adventure: Shadows at Sundown or for any cathedral and attached catacomb found in your own campaign.

The 64-page softcover Pathfinder Adventure: Shadows at Sundown has an MSRP of $24.99 and is part of the Pathfinder Adventure Subscription, which includes a complimentary PDF. The PDF alone is priced at $17.99, only on paizo.com.

The print edition of Pathfinder Flip-Mat: Shadows at Sundownhas an MSRP of $16.99 and is part of the Pathfinder Maps Subscription, which comes with a complimentary digital edition. The digital edition alone is available for $11.99 on paizo.com.

Last edited:

Any time have you thought Starfinder could become in a future the killer of the Star Wars franchises? I say it seriously. The right hands to produce an animated series for some streaming service, and the popularity chould shoot up as a rocket. A videogame adaptation is coming soon. If I was Hasbro I would worry Paizo talking with Mattel to produce toys based in Starfinder.

Would be cool to see Pazio do some Pathfinder settings books outside Golanthra instead of setting everything in that world. I don't play Pathfinder but they got some good production values and seeing some fun one of settings would be cool.

JThursby

Adventurer
I have the Foundry VTT version of Abomination Vaults (which came with a free PDF) and got my Knights of Lastwall book early via subscription.

Everyone who has bought it has already sung the praises of the Abomination Vaults adventure itself, but the Foundry version is next level. The maps are at 150 pixels per grid space, making the maps look huge at the token scale, and they are packed with story relevant detail. All the automated systems like the walls, lights, sounds, music, and event macros are incredibly snazzy and signposted for easy use by the GM. Despite all these bells and whistles the whole thing runs at a solid 60 fps on my eight year old PC (it may run higher but I capped the FPS to my monitor refresh rate). I am extremely pleased with this purchase and recommend it to anyone running this system on Foundry.

The Knights of Lastwall book is ok. I think it's a slight step down from the usual quality of the lost omens books, for two reasons. The first is that the interior art is much more inconsistent/lower quality than what is normal for Paizo products. The chapter splashes look like they come from a Disney book, and the character portraits are rather shaky; if a character was depicted in a previous book, they look worse here. The second reason is that the book reads like propaganda for Lastwall, and not in a good way. Lastwall as a faction has previously been depicted as a bunch of troubled good guys that regularly let the righteousness of their mission get to their heads and end up making drastic, questionable or dumb decisions that endanger their mission, and the state that Lastwall is in now can be seen as the inevitable result of generations of that problem going unaddressed. While all that is still there in this book, the book ends up bending over itself to depict Lastwall and it's adherents in the best possible light regardless of whether or not they deserve it. Here's an example: there's a sidebar talking about the Knights-Cassian, which are exclusively child soldiers that are used as scouts, spies and laborers that are also being trained to become fully fledged soldiers when they reach adulthood. The Knights-Cassian are mostly made up of wayward children that the Knights of Lastwall have pressed into military service. This practice of using child soldiers to such a large extent is noted as being abnormal in it's own right and distinct from squirehood. The language used in this lore takes pains to dress this up in the most charitable of lights and try to make this sound like an unmitigated good by emphasizing the charity of the Knights of Lastwall for "finding a place" for orphaned children while selectively ignoring the horrific implications of pressing children into service to fight such a terrible foe as the Whispering Tyrant and his hungry undead. Similar evasive language is used for other unsavory aspects of the Knights of Lastwall, such as the accepted worship of a Neutral Evil goddess of violent retribution, a long list of foreign relation failures up to and including attacking sovereign nations unprovoked, the general failure of Lastwall to do the one job it was founded to do, and an overall endorsment of a blind zealot mentality. To be clear, I do not think Lastwall is evil, but they are certainly a more complicated faction than just being purely in the right all the time, and the book does a poor job of framing them as such seemingly deliberately.

teitan

Legend
I have the weird desire to pick up Drift Crisis even though I am not likely to be able to convince anyone I know to play Starfinder. Also, I am definitely getting Abomination Vaults for 5E when it comes out, and am going to run it with LevelUp.
I got it yesterday and it is amazing. Starfinder is my number 2 game right now. So good.

R_J_K75

Legend
WotC take note. I'd like for them to release a few things, (when they do release something), rather than it being all or nothing.

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
I have the weird desire to pick up Drift Crisis even though I am not likely to be able to convince anyone I know to play Starfinder. Also, I am definitely getting Abomination Vaults for 5E when it comes out, and am going to run it with LevelUp.
I may grab a lot of Starfinder books and run the ideas in 5E by combining them with details in Mage Hand Press’ Dark Matter setting/options book. I really like Starfinder as a setting/vibe but really didn’t like the crunch when I tried running it multiple times in the past. Just doing Drift Crisis stuff in that context is exciting for me.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases