Pathfinder 1E Paizo announces Paizo Game Space

Votan

Explorer
Since I am not using any online service, it is more than I possess now.

Agreed.

While the WotC subscription was inexpensive, it does make me look at the value proposition more carefully. I am happy to pay for tools, but my expectations go up a lot relative to services that are free.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I'd imagine a lot of this development will inform the Goblinworks MMORPG design which is already well funded. It is likely meant, beyond being just a VTT, to also be a way to present a crossover or even a gateway to the MMORPG.

Azgulor

Adventurer
But also remember, you get what you pay for....

Given the uproar on this board over the D&D VTT getting axed and the fact that some folks apparently were only interested in paying for DDI to get the VTT, your little reminder is hilarious.

We'll see what, if anything, comes from the Paizo announcement. But this is the wrong topic in which to load the particular bullet that you've chosen.

Given the uproar on this board over the D&D VTT getting axed and the fact that some folks apparently were only interested in paying for DDI to get the VTT, your little reminder is hilarious.

We'll see what, if anything, comes from the Paizo announcement. But this is the wrong topic in which to load the particular bullet that you've chosen.

No, all I'm saying is that everyone is ecstatic about it being free...I'm saying when it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that they want, you have to remember, you're getting what you're paying for.

I won't even start on DDI...I jumped off that boat a while ago...

Azgulor

Adventurer
Gotcha. Good point.

I'm in the "Wish them well but we'll see how it goes" camp myself. At present, I'm not sure I need a VTT. However, at least on paper, I like the approach Paizo is taking.

Tamlyn

Explorer
I, for one, don't want bells and whistles. I want a simple grid where I can drag and drop tokens, scribble on, and chat. Audio chat and access to pregenerated maps would be nice, but not necessary.

I don't want rules systems built in. I want it system-neutral. I don't want to be bothered with setting up my VTT for 3.5, PF, 4E, 5E or whatever. What if I use custom monsters or magic items? If the rules are pre-programmed, that makes my job as GM a lot harder. I have players who use PCGen and while it's a great tool, it doesn't easily support customization.

Besides, it's supposed to be a Virtual TABLETOP. My actual tabletop does not support rulesets, does not determine damage reduction, does not link to multiple electronic devices, does not automatically apply bonuses when spells are cast, etc... It's a simple tool that lets me and my players see the same thing.

I may be the only one, but that's all I want - a simple tool that lets me and my players (in this case, players in Georgia and Alaska with whom I no longer get to play) get together and see the same things.

nillic

Explorer
My personal take on VTTs is that in addition to the map features, campaign management, and dice rollers, there needs to be a video and audio component. The chat feature is for secret notes.

Secondly, there needs to be apps developed that links mobile and tablet devices to the VTT so that players can have their character sheets, notes, and dice on their devices while looking at a screen that has the map and video. Their computer screen serves as the "table" while their personal devices serves as the "player's surface". The GM has his own.

Thirdly, additional apps should include rulesets that affects actions and gameplay. For example, if the party's cleric casts bless, everyone's character sheet is automatically updated with a +1 to attack rolls and their Will save is noted that they have a +1 vs. fear or the person who receives bear's endurance gets their Con adjusted, hp increased, and Fort save increased. These kind of apps will be invaluable because they can breathe life back into games that have overcomplex or heavy-bookkeeping rules. How many of you looked at crunch-heavy games and thought they were cool because you have all these awesome charts of critical hits or effects or other things, but during actual play, it was a real headache to update the character sheet and keep things moving?

Actually, I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been apps for these rules, particularly for the ones with their own SRDs or Open License.

Also, these can aid traditional table-top play. The first is that with an app that links the mobile and tablet devices to the GM's iPad, you've gotten rid of regular character sheets and dice. Heavy rulebooks are gone too. With complex rulesets, you can affect characters beneficially or with harmful effects. For example, if you are playing Rolemaster, the app knows which weapon you're using so the die roll looks up the appropriate table, determines the damage, then rolls on the critical hit table and gives the result. The GM tablet displays the result as well and the monster affected has its stats updated.

Realistic rules such as encumbrance can be tracked better.

Some could argue that with all this technology, why not just play a MMORPG? It's going to come down to individual taste as well. For some games with complex rulesets, technology is a good boost to enhance the play experience and a VTT further adds to the fun. For really simple games or more free-form games, then a VTT or anything kind of tech isn't needed.

I can understand your desire for this kind of robustness in a VTT, but similar to what you said: if you're looking for a program that does all the book keeping for you, you should probably be playing a video game. If you're looking for an experience that doesn't include rulebooks, character sheets, management of bonuses, rolling on tables, etc then I don't think you actually want to be playing a tabletop RPG. I think you want Skyrim.

Also, the promise of this kind of robustness seems to be a cause of the failure of WotC's VTT to barely get off the ground. Paizo looks like they want to keep it simple and even accesible for any rpg that needs a grid and initiative tracking.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases