Pathfinder 2E Paizo drops use of the word phylactery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Next thought: um, Paizo? You'd better drop the use of "god," "cleric," and "miracle" too. Those words are pretty popular in real-world religions.
But they're not from one particular religion, and then co-opted to mean something else. Antisemitism is a big problem in the world which hurts real people. People misusing the word 'miracle' is not. Context matters. These things are about real people, not about semantic logical point-scoring.

Also: slippery slope fallacy.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Interesting. How do we feel about Altar? Or Relic? Or Shrine? Like, I have a product "closeish" about those things, but I've really struggled with shrine and altar and how they are tied to real religion (which may be why there aren't rules for these in DnD.....).

edit: I think I'm ok with these words......

Retreater

Legend
Just being honest here, but I never remember how to spell the original term and not sure if I ever pronounce it correctly. So it's no real love lost for me, even if I don't find the new term particularly inspired.
But regardless of that, they made a decision and debating it now makes no difference.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Just being honest here, but I never remember how to spell the original term and not sure if I ever pronounce it correctly. So it's no real love lost for me, even if I don't find the new term particularly inspired.
But regardless of that, they made a decision and debating it now makes no difference.
Ya, I don't see how this hurts the game in any way. But it might make it more inclusive. I don't see how that could possibly be a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads