Starfinder Paizo News Roundup: Heroes of Undarin, Pathfinder Society 2, Starfinder Alien Archive 2, Return of t

Hello again, Paizo fans, it’s time for the PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP! We’ve got quite a few choicey tidbits to check out this edition, so let’s get cracking! We’ll hit the big points first, then scoop up all the dangling threads later if need be.

Let’s start with what you’re probably most interested in, the latest updates for the Pathfinder Playtest. Part 5 of the Playtest update has been released, and with it the newest adventure test: The Heroes of Undarin! The adventure itself will see heroes exploring the Worldwound of Golarion, something that requires very special instructions and even more special characters.

What might be more head-turning is the fact that Update 1.4 does an overhaul of Ancestries. In response to the criticisms that being a half-elf or half-orc require too much investment, the designers have added another level of complexity to character creation by adding a heritage option when choosing ancestry. This opens up first-level feats for most characters, but I’m not certain how many more layers this game needs.
Speaking of extra features, fans of the Pathfinder Society will be excited to hear that more fruit has developed from the numerous threads and discussions on blog posts.

What’s shaking out is that the Pathfinder Society 2 boons are a response to Starfinder Society boons. There are three potential models going forward: a Typed Slots system, which would be similar to a scaled-down version of the Starfinder Society boons; a Universal Slots system, which would allow characters to invest in whatever boons they wanted, regardless of type; and a Limited model, which is intended to limit mechanical bloat.

Also in flux is the Chronicle sheets that Paizo will be providing to keep track of all your boons and Society toys. As with the boons, there are several options on the table: something like they already have, a more open version that’s meant to be kinder to GMs and event coordinators, a version with more space for boons and unique items, and a smaller cardstock version for easy reference. They’re still weighing their options, so let ‘em know what you think in the comments and forums.

What else? I’m glad you asked. The Paizo design team knows how excited you are for the Starfinder Alien Archive 2, and so to whet your appetite even MORE they’re previewing some of the 16 playable species that will be available in that book. Several creatures that have appeared in previous books will finally get a full description, and a good chunk of them will be playable!

We have a definite date and more details for the third section of the Return of the Runelords Adventure Path! You clashed with Clegg Zincher before and gave him one of the worst days of his life, but that was before today. It’s up to you to see that he doesn’t see the end of his luck (or bad luck) as you tromp through all four major cities of Varisia: Magnimar, Riddleport, Korvosa, and Kaer Maga.

That about does it for this edition of the PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP! As expected, there is far more to discuss than we have space here, so look forward to a new update soon! We’ve got Adventure Paths for both Starfinder and Pathfinder, setting books, and Player Companions to look forward to!

This article was contributed by Ben Reece (LongGoneWriter) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Ben Reece

Ben Reece

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The game does not, for me, need more layers. I love a lot of it, but man, it is overwhelmingly complex to start w/o help. And, I've been playing some form of this game since the 70s.......Or maybe it is just me, and my current aversion to rules heavy games? Hard to say.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
"Let’s start with what you’re probably most interested in, the latest updates for the Pathfinder Playtest. Part 5 of the Playtest update has been released, and with it the newest adventure test: The Heroes of Undarin! The adventure itself will see heroes exploring the Worldwound of Glorantha, something that requires very special instructions and even more special characters."

I think you mean Golarion and not Glorantha, since you're talking about Pathfinder's world and not Runequest's world. :)

talien

Community Supporter
"Let’s start with what you’re probably most interested in, the latest updates for the Pathfinder Playtest. Part 5 of the Playtest update has been released, and with it the newest adventure test: The Heroes of Undarin! The adventure itself will see heroes exploring the Worldwound of Glorantha, something that requires very special instructions and even more special characters."

I think you mean Golarion and not Glorantha, since you're talking about Pathfinder's world and not Runequest's world. :)

My bad, I didn't catch this...fixed and thank you for pointing it out!

Starfox

Adventurer
In response to the criticisms that being a half-elf or half-orc require too much investment, the designers have added another level of complexity
Quoted for truth. I am normally a Paizo apologist, but playtest update 1.4 felt like a smack in the face. Also, loss of backwards compatibility. Now there are suddenly cave elves? And with their heritage being darkvision, you're likely to see a LOT of them.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases