• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

Alnag

First Post
Friadoc said:
Nice answer, however freedom of speech protects you from the government infringing upon it, not a company whose boards you're a member of, at their leisure.

I am aware of the fact, that following the laws to the letter, I have no legal protection. But the essence of law is in fact still on my side, although I can not demand the enforcing it on a public property - as is the forum.

Friadoc said:
Don't let me talk you out of fighting the good fight, but self-martyring yourself by thinking that you're in the right, when you're not, is sort of a waste.

I believe, that the problem they will have to solve is negative in either way. I have nothing to loss. I still have EnWorld to visit and I found it much more comfortable. I have my own webpage and forums in my native language. It will not hurt me much. On the other way, their conscience will be tested. I belive it is worth this test.

Friadoc said:
It is WotC's board, you agree to a EULA when you signed up, or at least guidelines that you agreed to, and it gives them all the power.

Sure. I am not going to the court with them. I want them to think and face the consequences as well. Every decision has some impact. This is the fundamental law of the universe, no one can change.

Friadoc said:
In the end, truly, no one has any ability to force the owner of a message board to let them post content that they do not agree with.

Sure. Sometimes, it is better to let the anger go away be let it be, rather than restrict it. It can explode if under pressure.

Friadoc said:
You're, by far, on a lot more stable ground if you setup your own blog, organize from there, and direct people to it.

I am not the organizator of the boycott. I've just join it. I feel I have reach to point I wished to reach. The will have to do the decision. It is fine with me either way.

Friadoc said:
It's about as close to real free speech, on-line at least, as you're bound to get. Either that, or setting up your own web space or presence.

This would be for a longer debatte, but I don't want to change the topic. Thanks for your insights and support. I really hope, Wizards still can learn the lesson. Not from my solitary action - I am not as arrogant - but from the strong negative reaction of all the fans. If this small contribution will help in the lesson, it was worth it.

I wish the D&D brand, the game and it fans the best possible future. For saving the positive future one must sometimes face the negative present. If the future of D&D wouldn't be good, I could not face myself and know I didn't do what I believed was the best for the game. I hope, you understand.

Hussar

Legend
Erik Mona said:
5 million players is not the same thing as 5 million customers.

Just sayin'.

--Erik

30 pages in and that's your only response. :D

Out of curiosity, did you expect this announcement to stir up this much animosity?

Friadoc

Explorer
Alnag said:
This would be for a longer debatte, but I don't want to change the topic. Thanks for your insights and support. I really hope, Wizards still can learn the lesson. Not from my solitary action - I am not as arrogant - but from the strong negative reaction of all the fans. If this small contribution will help in the lesson, it was worth it.

Not a problem, I'm all for a company listening to their customers and, if needed, forcing them to hear out grievances.

Heck, oddly enough, this whole incident has caused me to actually start using my LiveJournal space, which, until yesterday, sat unused and I only had it due to my patronage of Wolfgang Baur's Open Design Procject.

But, as of yesterday, 'The Friadoc Papers' were born and I plan to use the e-soapbox to mouth off about my thoughts related to the gaming community.

I figure it's pretty much what I do here, perhaps a bit more unfetter, and since it's my own space, no one can really tell me to shut up, at least in a fashion that would actual shut me up. :cool:

Anyhow, good luck on the protest, I know I signed some one last night/this morning about wanting to save Dragon and Dungeon.

Friadoc

Explorer
Hussar said:
30 pages in and that's your only response. :D

Out of curiosity, did you expect this announcement to stir up this much animosity?

I doubt anyone expected the level that this exploded into, but I'm sure they expected some reaction.

That said, I was pretty sure that Mr. Mona posted somewhere in this mess before now, in fact I thought about four Paizo People (sounds like a kids toy) did so.

*grins*

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Dragon Magazine is not just a magazine, it's an institution. That is why so many people talk in terms of being punched in the gut, or in shock, or feel terrible loss. It's not just a magazine, it's a fundamental part of the hobby.
They are halting the magazine for short term profit. But this means long term loss, for it will be all but impossible to restart the institution of Dragon Magazine. Look at your history: institutions take a lot of work to set up, and they do not easily crumble afterwards. But once crumbled, they stay crumbled.
The institution had a lot of beneficial effects other than bringing new crunch and fluff to the reader. Need I really go into all the beneficial effects Dragon has had? Those benefits to the hobby will be lost permanently, as the institution crumbles.

Edena_of_Neith

Wow! This thread is only about 2 days old and has nearly 1,200 responses. I guess it shows how strongly people feel about this. I know how sad it has made me.

Olaf the Stout

Crothian

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
Wow! This thread is only about 2 days old and has nearly 1,200 responses. I guess it shows how strongly people feel about this. I know how sad it has made me.

Olaf the Stout

Not really, 10% of them are from Nightfall alone.

Hussar

Legend
EricNoah said:
I count about 10 responses from Erik in this thread alone.

Rereading what I posted, I see that it looks really snarky. It wasn't meant to. :/

I'm sorry, but, all this wailing and gnashing of teeth is becoming a bit much. Yes, they yoinked the licenses. Yes, we are all gutted. Howzabout a smidgeon of restraint before blowing a gasket? It's been 2 days. Let's see what WoTC has to say and then lynch them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads