• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

GVDammerung

First Post
Alienation. What I feel is alienated from Wotc. Wotc did this with no warning, no preamble. And what they did that upsets me is terminate the one remaining constant in the conversations of gamers everywhere. While Dragon might not have recently been as central to the hobby as it once was in the days before the internet, it remained a constant or touch stone in conversations, even among those who did not subscribe or buy every issue from the newsstand. Dungeon was even more of a constant/touch stone and remained highly relevant, supplying quality adventures to thousands upon thousands of DMs and then players. These constants are too soon to be gone and the hobby and its shared conversations and experience will be left poorer for their passing. That Wotc would make such a decision with no warning or preamble and with only a promised and vaguely sketched online "replacement" leaves me shaking my head and throughly alienated from their thought processes.

I have no interest in an electronic "replacement" regardless of the content. My family will be subscribing to Pathfinder.

Pathfinder is not overpriced, particularly when the Paizo team that brought much recent acclaim to Dragon and Dungeon is helming the project. And how many Wotc books for more money do people buy only to have them sit on a shelf after a once through? I have more than a few. Pathfinder promises to offer the "read" those products do plus a means to immediately put that read to use and at a lower price.

Anyone with "left over" Dungeon or Dragon subscriptions should, IMO, roll them over to Pathfinder and give it a chance.

I'm sorry to see Dragon and Dungeon go. I wish Paizo and its staff every success with Pathfinder.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
freebfrost said:
I just got my email notice from Paizo about this, as did other subscribers I assume. I wonder if we'll see another surge in posts at Wizards/Paizo/elsewhere with the subscribers who don't normally go online to forums and the like?
If so, let's hope they read the warning at the top of the forum, eh? :)

Steel_Wind

Legend
OStephens said:
And I also suspect for every single person with no interest in online content, there are at least two with no interest in a physical magazine.

Not arguing. Question is: why not make three people happy instead of just two - while leaving another furious?

Friadoc

Explorer
Steel_Wind said:
Not arguing. Question is: why not make three people happy instead of just two - while leaving another furious?

I'm not answering for Owen, I'm sure he's more than able to do so, but I can quote an old, almost tired maxim of business.

"You can't please everyone, all the time".

It's been true for a long time, but it's more unpopular of an idea today than it has been for previous generations.

We're in a time of an entitlement generation, not to mention one that often lacks patience, and not only do some seem to want the world, they want it NO!

In fact, in my view, current generations are the by-blows of Veruca Salt and Mike Teavee , which ain't exactly a good thing.

caudor

Adventurer
Speaking of old quotes:

'Sometimes you have to take a step backwards in order to start going forward.'
(don't recall the author)

I think this is the situation WotC is in. I'm sure they are dying to give us more detail, but certain ducks need to be lined up first.

broghammerj

Explorer
Friadoc said:
"You can't please everyone, all the time".

It's been true for a long time, but it's more unpopular of an idea today than it has been for previous generations.

We're in a time of an entitlement generation, not to mention one that often lacks patience, and not only do some seem to want the world, they want it NOW!

Generational ideas change. I am not sure how you classify me (31 yrs old) but I would simply respond with the phrase carpe diem.

Friadoc

Explorer
broghammerj said:
Generational ideas change. I am not sure how you classify me (31 yrs old) but I would simply respond with the phrase carpe diem.

Yeap, while I'm 33 (34 here in a couple weeks) I was mostly influenced by my mother (who had barely 18 when I was born) and my grand fathers, a factor that resulted in me acting like a curmudgeon way before my time. ;)

Carpe diem works almost as well as Carpe DM. Muhahah!

Rawhide

First Post
Friadoc said:
I'm not answering for Owen, I'm sure he's more than able to do so

But for some reaosn he answers on his own blog, where he can edit and delet posts rather than here where we can all discuss this on equal footing

hE also now claims we've compared this to things like the Iraq war and eating people. i'm not attacking him personally, but his opinions suck and he has nothing to back them up but claims ryan dancey once talked about the xFL

for those who don't read his blog -

http://owen-stephens.livejournal.com/28230.html?mode=reply

Agamon

Adventurer
A few people post an over-exagertated one-liner when they first got the news, so everyone here gets painted in a negative light? Why is that? At least Ryan posted an intriging arguement.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads