• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo Publishing Makes Inc Magazine's Top 5000

paradox42

First Post
I would suspect your experience is still something of an anomaly.

Suspect away. While it is true that I live in a large urban area (Chicagoland), and it is also true that one of the groups I'm counting for this purpose was actually a group that played online (and therefore by definition had players engaged in the Internet), the other groups were all in-person- and contained between them some 20 different individuals. That strikes me as a pretty large sample size, all things considered.

paradox42

First Post
32.69% +/- 3.2%.

Hee hee! :D Thanks.

Now that we have a number, we can figure out how to answer the question (though I for one am too busy with regular life to set up a study). As I mentioned above, I do live in a large urban area, so my experience may admittedly be skewed- but it's a large number, not just one group of 4-6 players. I would be genuinely surprised if the number of regular players of D&D derivatives who (at least once per month or more) read online forums about their games of choice and the companies which make said games, was not at least that high.

The gamers involved in my groups weren't just high school and college students, but also people in regular life; I myself was working at UPS for most of the time in question, and a fellow UPSer was running one of the games I'm counting (as well as being involved in another as a player). One of our other players was a math professor at a nearby university, and still another guy was an artist getting by doing odd jobs for the time being. So a significant slice of life there.

Wicht

Hero
I would be genuinely surprised if the number of regular players of D&D derivatives who (at least once per month or more) read online forums about their games of choice and the companies which make said games, was not at least that high.

I would actually be surprised if it was as high as 1/3rd. I would guess between 15 and 20% comes closer to the mark.

Ahnehnois

First Post
At least on ENW, it's pretty well established that most of the regulars are DMs. Of course, DM and player are not static roles, but I find that most of the players I've had were not involved in these kinds of forums, while DMs sometimes (but not always) are.

Gilbetron

First Post
As another "anecdote point", of the 40 or so gamers I game with or have ever gamed with, there are precisely 2 that go to any gaming forums. One does char op on Wizards, and another posts infrequently to rpg.net. Now, we are sadly going into the "older gamer" category, and so I imagine the younger you are the more likely you will go to a forum or gaming blog or such for your gaming information. Still, I'd be surprised if more than 20% of gamers do anything resembling forum reading, let alone posting.

darjr

I crit!
Congrats! You folks deserve it.

For me it's the employees and the owners that make great products, many of which I would buy and use with relish even while I predominately ran and played an entirely different game from a different company.

In fact it's those things that kept me around and eventually led me to predominately play and run Pathfinder.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I would be genuinely surprised if the number of regular players of D&D derivatives who (at least once per month or more) read online forums about their games of choice and the companies which make said games, was not at least that high.

And I'd be genuinely surprised if the number wasn't tiny.

The gamers involved in my groups weren't just high school and college students, but also people in regular life; I myself was working at UPS for most of the time in question, and a fellow UPSer was running one of the games I'm counting (as well as being involved in another as a player). One of our other players was a math professor at a nearby university, and still another guy was an artist getting by doing odd jobs for the time being. So a significant slice of life there.

Exactly like the rest of us, then!

Remove ads